Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'll probably get under there and unplug my valve one of these days. It seems simple enough and I love that louder startup exhaust sound.

I wonder if it's as loud as the SE option, or is SE even louder?
It's not going to be any louder than sport mode. Join st all the time.

Not going to keep startup sound as previously covered. That's a cold start fuel and timing map that won't be replaced by opening exhaust valve.

I will say that at 1500 miles it's definitely louder than new.

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Performed this about 500 miles ago (car delivered 3/15/15, now at 2700 miles). No issues with onboard computers, no mileage change. Sound is better, a bit more "throaty", but a far cry from the awesome sports exhaust mode in my '08 911 C4S cab.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I just made the change, which took about 5min. I will decide if I leave it or not by the end of the weekend. If I leave it I will probably wrap both the connector and receptacle with electrical tape. For now I stashed the cable in the tray above the tie down.

In other words I basically stuffed the cable end back into the duct the cable emerges from but still attached to the cable clip.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Interested to hear about the outcome . It intrigues me as I don't want PSE on this car but a little more growl wouldn't hurt . I question:

A. Does this invalidate in Porsche warranties ?
B. Cause any short or long term damage ?
C. Improve anything except the sound?
D. Why this is not an option made public . I guess this would have to do with emissions regs of some sort ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: rkirshner

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Interested to hear about the outcome . It intrigues me as I don't want PSE on this car but a little more growl wouldn't hurt . I question:

D. Why this is not an option made public . I guess this would have to do with emissions regs of some sort ?

I found a thread here where @grim posted some information and links to other P Cars who's owners have done this and found that it was there for reasons more than sound related. Hard to say if the same applies to the Macan. One subject (if I'm remembering correctly) was a loss of back pressure, but if I am in fact remembering that correctly then maybe it just pertains to the N/A Flat 6's?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exhaust valve open since I brought the new Macan home from dealer

Thought I would weigh in to help explain further. First we have a Lexus LS460L where I hate the clatter from the direct fuel injection. On this car I want it to be tomb-like quiet. However, on our new Macan I want it to sound fun, nimble, throaty, sport, etc. We've had Porsches for 35 yrs and I want them to sound like a Porsche should.

So, before we received our car 8 mths ago I read up on what I could find and crawled under the car when I got it home from the dealer. Basically most performance oriented cars that have to comply with European city driving noise regulations use some sort of similar approach to the Macan. Part of the exhaust path is more "open" when a butterfly valve/damper/flapper valve (whatever you want to call it) is open and when it is closed exhaust gases along this route are forced back into the baffled area of the muffler. It's not just Porsches that use this approach.

The actuation of the valves on different car models can be via electrial actuator or electrical/pneumatic operation. Most cars to this point used pneumatic operators since they can easily provide the torque required. However, over the years little electrical operators have become more robust and reliable -- on the Macan they don't used pneumatic actuators for this function. The actuator is controlled by the engine and chasis controllers based on sensors, speed/RPM maps, etc. These algorithms are engineers to meet regulations, driving habits, etc --- engineers, technicians, and programmers just do their thing.

As has been covered in other posts on this thread the electrical connector should be tied back and taped/covered to protect it. By the way, to get better access remove the one screw holding the exhaust tip on the far right side pipe (the one with the valve) and reinstall it once you performed the connector removal/tape/tie-up operation.

It's personal taste as to whether you like the sound --- I do.

Some folks wonder why it is so much louder on a cold start. It is because the catalytic converters are more "open" when cold. As they warm up they muffle the sound more. Exhaust systems are designed and tuned to take into account the backpressure/flow/sound optimization of all components in the flow path. This "extra" sound is a combination of the valve being opened by the control systems on start-up plus the more open cats.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Just came back from running a few errands, and let me preface by saying that we now have 8500 miles on the car so the exhaust has pretty much matured.

This mod is not for me. I did notice a difference, but mainly when stopped at red. It basically add a bit more low frequency noise which stays there also when driving.
It did however not really add much to the dynamic soundscape. I.e. I did not notice more braps/burps when getting on or off the throttle.

So I am going to plug the cable back in again before the end of the weekend.

Too bad since it would have been a nice alternative to shelling out 5K on PSE as a post build add-on.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I found a thread here where @grim posted some information and links to other P Cars who's owners have done this and found that it was there for reasons more than sound related. Hard to say if the same applies to the Macan. One subject (if I'm remembering correctly) was a loss of back pressure, but if I am in fact remembering that correctly then maybe it just pertains to the N/A Flat 6's?

Thank you Sir.

·
Super Moderator
9,809 Posts
Have you read your warranty? If not, you should. They all read more or less alike and likely says something like: What is not covered by the Warranty? blah blah blah anything not approved by PCNA

Do you think the alteration to their exhaust system is authorized by PCNA? If so, your good. If not, then what? I don't see the modification is covered by MM because you didn't use an aftermarket replacement part. So if it causes some damage two years from now, do you have leg to stand on other than "But some guy in an auto forum told me it was OK?" Good luck with that. Are the people who will tell you its OK back it up with money if the time comes something might break? ROFL. :laugh::laugh: (not saying anything will break. I don't know other than "stuff happens").

You might also want to read local state laws about alterations to muffler systems. There could easily be sound ordinances and if the state has inspections, it could fail.

Don't know. Probably not enough people have done this alteration, have something break, and reported it.

As @K-A alluded to, reducing backpressure in a NA engine might reduce torque. But not so in a turbo engine, I don't think.

Made public by who? Isn't this public? Anyone can read it, not? You mean advertised by Porsche? See #1 . Have they authorized this modification to the OEM exhaust system?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,809 Posts
Thanks for taking the time grim. I'm good as is .
NP. BTW, I am not saying this modification is good or bad. I want to make that clear. I don't care what people do. Their car, their money.

The only thing I am saying is that if you read your warranty, I truly doubt that if anything went wrong they would pay. They would be looking for any reason NOT to pay, hence the obvious wording that if they don't approve it, its your dime. I also doubt it would do long term harm. But these cars aren't cheap and those that choose to be the test subject, good for them. It's their dime.

I adore the cold start in my 911. If I could make it sound like that all the time I would. When I started a test Macan I thought it sounded fine. When the cold start ended :( I thought "what happened"? This was a year ago when the Macan arrived in the US. But it is what it is. Its a SUV and they don't want it to sound loud. I would be happy with that or buy the PSE.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
You're right of course Mr. grim. I really don't want to mess with what Porsche engineering already did for my Macan . If I really wanted the louder exhaust I would have opted for PSE. My previous car had a super loud Brabus Sport Exhaust and it was just that , loud and exhausting after a while .

I actually semi knew the answers to the questions I asked or at least the warranty question anyway . I don't think the " yeah but the guys on the MF told me it was ok " thing would fly :)

Common sense tells me that something that comes from a factory connected should stay connected, especially if disconnecting something doesn't come with special "Porsche Duct Tape". Or , maybe you and I both missed that tick box on the Confusilator.

Thanks again.

Reactions: rkirshner and grim

·
Registered
95 Posts
What do you do with the connector on an aftermarket exhaust? Just Zip tie that in a safe place I assume.

Also- What happens to the exhaust in normal/sport/sport plus mode? is the original valve opening and closing or is that valve strictly for startup?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you guys put this on yourself? Like, crawl under the car and add a zip tie? This sounds like a good mod, but I'm not sure if I can pull this off and I would feel like a jack wagon going to a mechanic place and asking them to put on a zip tie-unless this is a common thing. I guess that's my real question. Is this a common thing to go ask a shop for?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wanted to add to this thread in case it may help others. I wanted to try this on my 2018 GTS with PSE to see what it might sound like. I also HATE the constant flap open/close electronic beep when driving through parking garages. (Not sure why it is so loud that I can hear it inside the car with radio off)

I followed the older instructions above and started by unscrewing the hex bolt on the exhaust right most exhaust tip. Tried yanking on the exhaust tip until the car started rocking back and forth to no avail. Took a closer look and they are seemingly tack welded to the muffler!
Attached are a couple of pictures.

So I tried to go from behind the bumper instead. Slid the gray locking tab back with a metal pick easily. However was completely unsuccessful in disconnecting the actual harness. Got to the point where the harness joints were starting to spread at the seams I was pulling so hard, so I ended there and gave up. Did not want to risk permanently damaging it in the process.

Guess I'll never know the sound difference of this little mod.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just performed this modification this weekend and am underwhelmed, to keep it short. If there is any difference, it's very subtle and maybe even just wishful thinking. I'll probably just plug the connector back in to keep it stock.
As far as removing the tips- after removing the hex head screw, just wiggle and pull and they'll come off- there's no tack welding holding it on, just the screw (and some mild corrosion).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I performed this mod to my Turbo (non-PSE) before the weekend and I have the following findings:
  • This is not the valve that makes it louder in Sport Plus, it is maybe 5-10% louder with the windows down, and in regards to the 'good noises' you want to hear, largely the same with the windows up.
  • But there is now consistent and incredibly annoying DRONE ALL THE TIME in top gear on the highway and around town.
100% do not recommend doing this and will be putting it back to normal ASAP

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have done this mod on my AMG. What I did was to order a replacement connector ($15) and fill the outside connector ends with liquid gasket to seal it. Plug in the sealed connector to keep debris out of the receptacle. Then cover the real connector w/ a small plastic bag and wrap that w/ gold heat tape. Seal it extra good w/ a bit of electrical tape as needed. Mercedes actually sells a metal clip that allows you to easily attach the cable behind the heat shield to keep it away from heat and the elements.

Like others have said, it's not that impressive. I won't be doing this mod on the Macan, especially since I can open the valve w/ a button push. Plus it only sounds good when in Spot Plus IMO.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts