Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of doing this to make the exhaust more throaty.

1. Has anyone done it on a Macan?
  2. How is it done?
  3. Does it work?
  4. Does it cause computer errors?
  5. Does it damage the car in any way?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've heard of doing this to make the exhaust more throaty.

1. Has anyone done it on a Macan?
  2. How is it done?
  3. Does it work?
  4. Does it cause computer errors?
  5. Does it damage the car in any way?
* It has been done.
* It is done by crawling under the right rear side of the car, pulling back the grey lock tab on the electrical connector to the valve and pulling off the connector. The zip tie is needed to secure the cable/connector to e.g. the valve body to make it sure it doesn't get melted on the exhaust. An added refinement would be to cover the connector to prevent dirt from causing a bad connection should one decide to reconnect it.
* It works, if work = flap stays open, car sounds a little louder from inside, quite a bit louder/nicer from outside
* No errors pop on the display, who knows if any error conditions are logged anywhere.
* As the valve is open in Sport+ or at sufficiently high revs in other modes, it seems unlikely that this would cause any damage.

I drove an R32 with flapper mod for a couple of years, and the mod didn't throw any errors nor did it cause any damage. Everybody I knew did that mod on their 2004 R32's (the thing sounded fantastic - if one could get a similar sound quality from the $3k Macan sports exhaust I'd be first in line)

·
Premium Member
6,752 Posts
It is a popular mod on BMWs too.

However, what's the point of having that nice sound all the time? Too much of a good thing eventually becomes annoying/boring.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Cloudplay. I'm interested in doing this. I remember how much I loved the sound of my 997 when the engine was cold but then the "rasp" would go away.

I found the thread that talks about it here:

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/23601-flap-update.html

Would be interested in hearing from people that have been running this mod for a while and seeing if they like it or if there are any problems. I agree that thee likely would not be.

Reactions: yorker

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thank you Cloudplay. I'm interested in doing this. I remember how much I loved the sound of my 997 when the engine was cold but then the "rasp" would go away.
Just to prevent disappointment: Even with the flap open, the sound is not the same as in the first 30sec or so after a cold start - there is something else going on at that point.

Reactions: yorker

·
Registered
187 Posts

I found the thread that talks about it here:

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/23601-flap-update.html

Would be interested in hearing from people that have been running this mod for a while and seeing if they like it or if there are any problems. I agree that thee likely would not be.
With 14K on my car I still use the flap mod and I like it. It sounds better as the miles grow. No problems, no code.

If you want quiet, don't do it. Just like 21" wheels won't ride as quiet and comfortable as 19's.

:D

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I might do this. Any performance or mpg effects?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I might do this. Any performance or mpg effects?
No mpg gains that I noticed.

Before you do it, pay close attention to how your car responds and feels at different driving levels.

Please report back and share your thoughts :D

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
No mpg gains that I noticed.

Before you do it, pay close attention to how your car responds and feels at different driving levels.

Please report back and share your thoughts :D
Will do, good point, I'll probably wait until break in so I'm acclimated to the cars behavior. When I had an N/A Mustang V8, I took the mufflers off (yes, straight pipes :D) and the car lost a ton of low-end torque while increasing upper end "free rev feel". Also, MPG became crappy as the decrease in back pressure thus lack of low-end worked against it, as well I think it started making the car run rich.

Obviously, that's a whole different animal than this mod. But Turbo's respond a lot differently to decreased back pressure, i.e it usually just helps power, but not sure how it'd effect mpg. I'd imagine this mod is too light to change anything in performance or efficiency anyway.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm def gonna do it. Love the rumble!

I wish there were before after video.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think I'm def gonna do it. Love the rumble!

I wish there were before after video.
So you're not disappointed, the initial rumble goes away after a few seconds.

The exhaust is just not as quiet after that rumble is gone. Don't expect a night and day difference but a difference nonetheless :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would like to know what gives it the initial rumble at cold start, not sure I would like it all the time, but getting that same rumble while in sport or sport plus would be nice

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
could someone record a video?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would like to know what gives it the initial rumble at cold start, not sure I would like it all the time, but getting that same rumble while in sport or sport plus would be nice
Its for emissions.

Something along the lines of burning rich so that the cats heat up quickly. Thats why you only get it on "cold" start.

Magnet

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
Its for emissions.

Something along the lines of burning rich so that the cats heat up quickly. Thats why you only get it on "cold" start.

Magnet
So it's change to A/F ? I thought it was just a valve closing to create more heat/backpressure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i did this mod on my 997 s x51 and it sounded awesome, but when i went to plug it back in after a year the exhaust valves did not function properly and remained in the closed position, even after disconnecting the system :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts