Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2015 Macan Turbo, Pure White, Carbon side trim, Sport Plus, Heated/Air Cooled seats, Black Interior
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to start my transmission full service this weekend and stumbled across a video mentioning that we should be changing our gear set oil also. This one is new to me and I do not know of any tutorials here or on the Audi Q5 forums that can help.

PORSCHE MACAN TURBO PDK and Gear set service to avoid a $20,000 repair

Have my esteemed colleagues found this before? Is there a DIY somewhere that I am missing?

Cheers,

Blighty

· Registered
2,424 Posts
You can take a look at these… these will cover your full drivetrain service (these videos are meant to document my experience, but they can be of help):

PDK Dual-Clutch Transmission Fluid and Filters replacement - Porsche Macan S 2015

PORSCHE MACAN S (2015): PDK TRANSMISSION GEARBOX OIL CHANGE DIY

Transfer Case Oil Change DIY - Porsche Macan S 2015

Porsche Macan S 2015 (No PTV+) - Rear Axle Differential Oil Change

· Registered
2015 Macan Turbo, Pure White, Carbon side trim, Sport Plus, Heated/Air Cooled seats, Black Interior
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey @Santirx, take a look at this clip from the video I referenced. This mentions the gear set. Also thank you for all the links and your hard work!

Cheers,

Blighty

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Yes, I saw it. I changed all my drivetrain fluids at 100K miles.

The second video I linked in my previous post shows my experience changing the gear-set oil. This gear set is located between the transmission and the transfer case, and uses 75W-90 viscosity oil (same as the rear differential). That gear-set not only have the drivetrain transmission gear-set, but also the front differential, so they share the same oil. In my video I show the whole process in detail. As I stated, I changed this oil at 100K miles, and intend to change it going forward every 50K miles (if I keep it that long). As the person in the video stated, it is easy to overlook the gear set when you change transmission fluid.

The transmission fluid should be changed every 40K miles - this portion of the transmission is on the front of gear set. And in my video (first linked), I show the whole process, including removing the pan and changing the internal filter.

But is also important to change the transfer case fluid. (3rd video linked). I’m changing that every 40K miles together with transmission fluid.

Then, rear differential is so easy to change, so I’ll be doing that with the gear set, every 50K miles.

Changing fluids is not complex or difficult, it just takes time and the right tools (like the pumps I used).

· Registered
178 Posts

The second video I linked in my previous post shows my experience changing the gear-set oil. This gear set is located between the transmission and the transfer case, and uses 75W-90 viscosity oil (same as the rear differential). That gear-set not only have the drivetrain transmission gear-set, but also the front differential, so they share the same oil. In my video I show the whole process in detail. As I stated, I changed this oil at 100K miles, and intend to change it going forward every 50K miles (if I keep it that long). As the person in the video stated, it is easy to overlook the gear set when uou

The transmission fluid should be changed every 40K miles (this portion of the transmission is on the front of gear set. And in my video (first liked), I show the whole process, including removing the pan and changing the internal filter.

But is also important to also change the transfer case fluid. (3rd video linked). I’m changing that every 40K miles together with transmission fluid.

Then, rear differential is so easy to change that I’ll be doing that with the gear set, every 50K miles.

Changing fluids is not complex or difficult, it just takes time and the right tools (like the pumps I used).
I have 50K on my Macan and using Santrix's videos, I did all my fluids. The transfer case seemed to be the blackest and though I know color doesn't always convey the condition of the fluid, that one seemed to need it the worst. Also taking into consideration several owners have had transfer case issues, I'm going to do that one every 25K moving forward. It's also not hard, the only "harder" part is you don't top till it overflows. Just follow the vids and you'll be fine.

· Registered
2,424 Posts
I have 50K on my Macan and using Santrix's videos, I did all my fluids. The transfer case seemed to be the blackest and though I know color doesn't always convey the condition of the fluid, that one seemed to need it the worst. Also taking into consideration several owners have had transfer case issues, I'm going to do that one every 25K moving forward. It's also not hard, the only "harder" part is you don't top till it overflows. Just follow the vids and you'll be fine.
Agree, replacing transfer case fluid more often wont hurt. For the transfer case, during my last change (one change I had after I made the video), I started using Motul DCTF (which is the same fluid I’m using in for the transmission), and had been working very well so far. Not recommending anyone to make this change, just stating what I’m using. Motul DCTF is the recommended oil from Motul for the transfer case.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again thank you @Santirx !! I have 53k and will do a full PDK this weekend. I’ve done the transfer case once but will do it again this weekend too. I can also confirm that the VAG transfer case bolts look identical the the Porsche ones for a third of the price. I will also try and start posting some info of my findings as I progress. Thanks to all, Blighty.

Reactions: Santirx

· Registered
2,424 Posts
I got the plugs from FCPEuro last time… the Porsche one is $18. But I wonder if the VW/Audi is the same plug (see below) at $5 each.

Porsche is M17.5x12, but can’t see specs on VW/Audi plug. But I believe even $18 at FCPEuro is less expensive than getting these at a Porsche dealer.
Font Screenshot Circle Logo Brand

Font Screenshot Logo Number Circle

· Registered
50 Posts

The second video I linked in my previous post shows my experience changing the gear-set oil. This gear set is located between the transmission and the transfer case, and uses 75W-90 viscosity oil (same as the rear differential). That gear-set not only have the drivetrain transmission gear-set, but also the front differential, so they share the same oil. In my video I show the whole process in detail. As I stated, I changed this oil at 100K miles, and intend to change it going forward every 50K miles (if I keep it that long). As the person in the video stated, it is easy to overlook the gear set when you change transmission fluid.

The transmission fluid should be changed every 40K miles - this portion of the transmission is on the front of gear set. And in my video (first linked), I show the whole process, including removing the pan and changing the internal filter.

But is also important to change the transfer case fluid. (3rd video linked). I’m changing that every 40K miles together with transmission fluid.

Then, rear differential is so easy to change, so I’ll be doing that with the gear set, every 50K miles.

Hey Santirx, can you help me understand something? Are you saying that when changing the gear-set oil your also changing the front differential oil at the same time because "they share the same oil"?

Thanks.

· Registered
2,424 Posts
Hey Santirx, can you help me understand something? Are you saying that when changing the gear-set oil your also changing the front differential oil at the same time because "they share the same oil"?

Thanks.
Correct. Your PDK has 3 parts, (1) the double-clutch transmission - circled in green; (2) the gear-set or final drive - circled in red; (3) the front differential - circled in blue.

The gear set or final drive (as the manual calls it) shares oil with the front differential through some channels within the PDK itself. When you add the oil, it has to be done following specific instructions… you fill it in intervals, waiting about 1 to 2 minutes between intervals so that oil (which is a high viscosity oil) has the chance to travel and settle.

In this drawing below you can see what is maintainable in the PDK… you basically have 2 drain plugs and 2 fill/inspection plugs…. Plugs 1 & 4 are for the dual-clutch transmission side; plugs 3 & 5 are for the final drive/front differential.

BTW, the dual-clutch transmission side has also a very specific 3-part procedure of setting level… You can check videos in my channel…. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL65sBsF7O770wNW5dltpgdumbHo1GgNaN

But, I would highly recommend you check with a professional…

Slope Font Line Parallel Screenshot

· Registered
50 Posts
thanks man! That helped a lot. I’ve watched your videos and bought the appropriate tools so I plan on doing the fluid changes myself. I just like being prepared and would like to do all the fluid changes at the same time so i was a little confused on if I was missing something. Really appreciate it.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Morning all, I have not yet bought all the oils and need to get the gear set (final drive) oil.

I see the Redline fluid is available and quite popular on other . Has anyone else used it?

Bottle Liquid Ingredient Fluid Bottle cap

75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil - Red Line 57904

75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil - Red Line 57904

1 - 20 of 21 Posts