Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
@yrralis1 has some great points of what to add to your build. He’s been around this block ordering and buying Macan’s over the years.

Like @wspollack is a huge supporter of the cargo management system I am a huge supporter of the tow hitch. Yes it does break up the look in the back, but that tow hitch came in handy when I was rear ended in my GTS this past May coming home from cleaning out my classroom.

I have never towed anything, and the only reason why i added the tow hitch is because I had one on my Q5 that my GTS replaced and I had a sea turtle cover that I loved and wanted to keep. Yes you are looking at a person who had a 600+ option add to her build just for a silly sea turtle cover that had memories tied to it.

Fast forward to May when I was rear ended by a F150 at a dead stop (he said that he left room between him and me, and he was pushed into me by being rear ended himself) waiting for a red light to change. looking at my pictures you wouldn’t think the damage was to bad. It wasn’t until the collision shop took off the bumper they were able to see how badly twisted the frame was underneath, and the tow hitch took most of the impact. I asked the lad at the collision shop what if I didn’t have the factory tow hitch installed, he told me that the damage would have been tons worst and I should be thankful I had it there. That was one guys option and talking with the manager at the collision shop he agreed with him and when I joked about buying my car back from insurance they both told to me take the money and run and order a new car. She had so much structural damage that they even wouldn’t buy it if they wanted to.

This was the second time I have been rear ended, my poor Q5 got hit by a F150 2 years into owning that car as well. So I will always add a factory installed tow hitch since I seem to be a magnet to be rear ended in my SUV’s after only having the SUV for 2 years.
I see the value in the tow hitch for someone that will tow something. It is not my case. As far as a safety issue, I understand the value of having it to absorb most of the impact but to be honest if I am rear ended I would prefer to get the insurance company to tell my car was totaled rather than having to get it fixed because the tow hitch saved a bit. Once you are rear ended no matter what they say your car will never be the same.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I see the value in the tow hitch for someone that will tow something.
I have a tow hitch on my 2018 GTS, used it MANY times lugging our mountain bikes around with our Yakima bike rack, and not once have I ever towed anything.

Sure beats having to transport your bikes up on the roof....

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I have a tow hitch on my 2018 GTS, used it MANY times lugging our mountain bikes around with our Yakima bike rack, and not once have I ever towed anything.

Sure beats having to transport your bikes up on the roof....
+1. But I use my wife's GLS450 for bikes. The car came with the tow hitch so we use it since it is much bigger than my Macan. I never used the roof racks on the MB and I ordered my Macan without it since I like the cleaner look.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I never used the roof racks on the MB and I ordered my Macan without it since I like the cleaner look.
I agree with you about the Macan having a cleaner look without the roof rails. I did not order them this time on my pending 2020 GTS....

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with you about the Macan having a cleaner look without the roof rails. I did not order them this time on my pending 2020 GTS....
Funny how tastes can differ as I ordered the roof rails purely for cosmetic reasons! I think they add contrast, and mesh well with the other black elements on my ordered Carrara White GTS. We do have a boat, but will not use the Macan for towing, so no need for a hitch. Have never been rear-ended, knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Funny how tastes can differ as I ordered the roof rails purely for cosmetic reasons!
It's funny you should say that.

Back when I ordered my current 2018 Macan GTS (first Macan, and first Porsche), I equated the Macan at the time purely as a CUV, hence ordering the roof rails just made sense. And thought if I ever went on a long trip with a couple of passengers and needed extra storage room, I could buy a box for up top.

But as time past, I started looking at the Macan in a different light, and it slowly morphed more into a car to me because of it's handling & performance, and since I relied solely on the trailer hitch to transport my mountain bikes, that and the fact I never stored anything up top, I just feel the Macan looks cleaner and more car like without the roof rails. So I didn't bother ordering them on my pending 2020 GTS.

My wife's 2020 GLC43 coupe finally showed up at the dealership after a six month wait, and one of the first things I noticed was how clean it looked without roof rails....which wasn't even an option on her vehicle.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
It's funny you should say that.

Back when I ordered my current 2018 Macan GTS (first Macan, and first Porsche), I equated the Macan at the time purely as a CUV, hence ordering the roof rails just made sense. And thought if I ever went on a long trip with a couple of passengers and needed extra storage room, I could buy a box for up top.

But as time pasted, I started looking at the Macan in a different light, and it slowly morphed more into a car to me because of it's handling & performance, and since I relied solely on the trailer hitch to transport my mountain bikes, that and the fact I never stored anything up top, I just feel the Macan looks cleaner and more car like without the roof rails. So I didn't bother ordering them on my pending 2020 GTS.

My wife's 2020 GLC43 coupe finally showed up at the dealership after a six month wait, and one of the first things I thought after looking at it was how clean it looked without roof rails....which wasn't even an option on her vehicle.

View attachment 232142
Back in 2015 I ordered my Macan as I wanted but it was a 6 month wait. During my “agony” of waiting my SA offered me two other Macans that came to the dealer in case I wanted one faster. I refused both mainly because they had roof rails and I didn’t like them at all. Again, to each their own.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I see the value in the tow hitch for someone that will tow something. It is not my case. As far as a safety issue, I understand the value of having it to absorb most of the impact but to be honest if I am rear ended I would prefer to get the insurance company to tell my car was totaled rather than having to get it fixed because the tow hitch saved a bit. Once you are rear ended no matter what they say your car will never be the same.
Yes you are so correct, the car will never drive the same after being rear ended. Thats for sure.

Well I was in this boat, where just looking at the back end the damage didn't look to bad, but when the bumper came off all bets were off and you could see the frame bent, even with the tow hitch taking the brunt of my hit. So my insurance company did total my beloved and thankfully I had total new car replacement on my policy and they just cut me a check to buy a brand new 2020 GTS I have an order already placed for a new 2021 GTS, build in September. I am going up to the dealer in July when they get their Mamba Green in, and they also had a GTS coming in for me to test drive.

Reactions: santastico

·
Registered
390 Posts
My wife's 2020 GLC43 coupe finally showed up at the dealership after a six month wait, and one of the first things I noticed was how clean it looked without roof rails....which wasn't even an option on her vehicle.

View attachment 232142
I can see why roof rails are not offered as an option on your wife's GLC43. It is, after all, a coupe with a very sloping roof. In fact the slope is so pronounced I'm not sure roof rails would even work if you ever did want to carry something up there. That said, your wife is driving a beautiful looking car there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ended up with a GTS in stock without roof rail, and I prefer the look. Now to carry skis around, you can still (carefully) install a roof bar with the below piece.
Thule

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Interesting, I'm one of those who thinks the black roof rails look good with the Macan, even If I was neutral on look I would still order them as it will be so easy to strap a paddle board on top. As I get older I find it harder and harder to put things on top of a SUV so tow hitch will allow some things to go there if needed but not an option for relatively lightweight paddle board.
The GLC43 looks great but too much of a blend for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I built my 2018 GTS for maximum handling. No pano sunroof...saves a huge amount of up-high weight, Sport Chrono, PTV. Definitely opt for PTV if you want to be able to fling your Macan around corners when the opportunity calls for it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I built my 2018 GTS for maximum handling. No pano sunroof...saves a huge amount of up-high weight, Sport Chrono, PTV. Definitely opt for PTV if you want to be able to fling your Macan around corners when the opportunity calls for it.
I don't get it. Why didn't you get a sports car? These are more or less light trucks meant for ski trips and hauling boats plus weed and feed.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts