Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well looks like it is time for a change. I currently have a racing metallic green 2009 911S and that has been, and is, a great car. However, I divide my short daily commute between the 911 (80%) and a F-150 (20%). I have done some autocrossing, brief track time but I find that it is hard to really open it up, at all, in crowded peri-Portland area. The garage is limiting factor so I am going to sale the 911, stings a bit, and replace with the very sporty Macan GTS. This will then allow fun driving trips to the coast with the wife and both our dogs, plus a cooler for food/drinks and other miscellaneous stuff. The truck was what we used in past but that is like driving a UPS truck, maybe FedEx since is white. Long story short I outfitted it to be fun (GTS+sport Chrono) plus practical (roof rails, tow hitch) in addition to comfortable commuter car. I want color, wife wants grey/black but doesn't care too much. Sapphire blue was original thought but just got back from dealer and Mamba does look sharp and will look nice in the long dark overcast winters. I don't need to finalize config until mid-august for December delivery (gulp). Anway, here is the code if you want to take a look and comment.
PM8LQRG3
The Porsche Code

·
Registered
423 Posts
Great Build. many talk about the cargo management kit and the hitch is much cheaper to do now then later. I think a few things you may want to consider. Lane Change Assist. (not lane keep) the flashing light on the mirrors. PTV coming from a 911 and in an area where you may get rain or snow it could help the handling. A smaller thing in looks but it does complete the car is the sport mirrors. I also would have you and the wife try all 3 seat variations as its a hit or miss on the seats for many.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
@ghostcow your build looks great and you have all of the options that I have on my build which is Mamba Green as well (for the time being, I'm waiting to see one in the wild before I commit to this color). I also added a lot of "fluff" to my build that I had on my old GTS that she is replacing. I'm glad to see that you have added the Cargo Management system to your build. That was one thing I wish I added and learned about after my build locked. @wspollack has always been a great supporter of this option and as much as he talks so highly of it, Porsche should give him something for promoting this very low cost option. :) They should cough up some serious swag for him.

I am with @wishntoboutside about adding the PTV+, this was the second thing I wish I added to my first build but didn't know about it. The LCA is a great feature and is part of his Premium package. I too have come to rely on the flashing light in the mirror to warn me of cars in the blindspot.

I am guessing you have a September build date like me, and its good to know when your lock date is because I am sure mine is very close to yours. When I go up to the dealer where I ordered mine from in July to see the Mamba Green in person I was going to double check with my SA when she locks. But a December delivery is great, Santa is going to bring you a beautiful Macan GTS for under your tree.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback
1) @wwahl , Mamba green is faddish? I can see how that may be true, but it is not much of a fad as I see very few cars anywhere near this color. Also, this color is much more interesting than the other greens I have seen, IMHO. The Sapphire blue is great but I have seen many more autos with similar colors and it is just a little too "happy" a blue for me, I don't know what that means but makes sense to me. In person the Mamba looks sweet. Ask me in 2 years if I'm happy, who knows, but the other colors are just too normal, I wish the midnight blue was not so dark.

2) @Jellybean , CMS is for sure, especially with the dog screen which we have to get no matter what. PTV+ is something I am still thinking about. I went to dealer today and decided I definitely didn't need the full leather so that saved me $1800. I do want to maximize the fun, and with occasional snow maybe I should just add that, only money right. Premium package has the LCA, tow hitch is a must. Yes I think we have very similar build dates so I/we have time to read even more conflicting opinions on everything. December delivery isn't to bad, I will enjoy the 911 this summer and look to sale in September I guess.

3) @Llarry - Yes, went with Oregon dealer, I might could have gotten slightly bigger discount but I don't think I could depend on getting down to LA for that delivery, and shipping from farther afield would eat up 1-2% anyway. So, yes supporting my local mom and pop car dealer, uhmm.

So you order two floor liners, $165 x2, for the front? Is that right.
Posting a few poor pictures from today and the green of my old 911, which has really grown on me.
cheers all

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
@ghostcow, was up at the dealership today and saw the Mamba Green in person, and although not for me I thought it looked pretty good on the Macan. I agree with the others in their comments about options, and have only one to add : have you looked at the sports design wheels in body colour?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Great build! And here are my thoughts:

1) Ditch the black door handles....they will show scratches after continued use.

2) Get PTV+ for better traction in snow/rain, and improved handling in the curves. It's a Porsche, right?

3) You may want to reconsider those roof rails. I ordered them on my current 2018 GTS thinking the vehicle looked naked without rails, but never ended up using them since I used the trailer hitch for lugging the mountain bikes around after buying a Yakima bike rack. In the end I was too concerned about scratching the roof if I ever stored anything up top. I did not order them on my pending 2020 GTS, and now feel the Macan looks better without roof rails.

4) Get the fire extinguisher....it's a steal at only $140, and it's an option that just might come in handy someday.

5) No smoking pkg.? It's free!

6) The 18 way seats are only an additional $380!

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Great build! And here are my thoughts:

1) Ditch the black door handles....they will show scratches after continued use.

2) Get PTV+ for better traction in snow/rain, and improved handling in the curves. It's a Porsche, right?

3) You may want to reconsider those roof rails. I ordered them on my current 2018 GTS thinking the vehicle looked naked without rails, but never ended up using them since I used the trailer hitch for lugging the mountain bikes around after buying a Yakima bike rack. In the end I was too concerned about scratching the roof if I ever stored anything up top. I did not order them on my pending 2020 GTS, and now feel the Macan looks better without roof rails.

4) Get the fire extinguisher....it's a steal at only $140, and it's an option that just might come in handy someday.

5) No smoking pkg.? It's free!

6) The 18 way seats are only an additional $380!
Half the Porsche owners ski (opinion). All the skiers want to use ski boxes (opinion). By cutting off the roof rails you diminished your resale market by 50% (opinion).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where ever I stop I always get compliments on my Sapphire Blue color. It wears well and is not so faddish as the Mamba Green.
Aww. Come on don’t say that. I have a Mamba Green and looks awesome and get compliments all the time 🙂

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all, well looks like it is time for a change. I currently have a racing metallic green 2009 911S and that has been, and is, a great car. However, I divide my short daily commute between the 911 (80%) and a F-150 (20%). I have done some autocrossing, brief track time but I find that it is hard to really open it up, at all, in crowded peri-Portland area. The garage is limiting factor so I am going to sale the 911, stings a bit, and replace with the very sporty Macan GTS. This will then allow fun driving trips to the coast with the wife and both our dogs, plus a cooler for food/drinks and other miscellaneous stuff. The truck was what we used in past but that is like driving a UPS truck, maybe FedEx since is white. Long story short I outfitted it to be fun (GTS+sport Chrono) plus practical (roof rails, tow hitch) in addition to comfortable commuter car. I want color, wife wants grey/black but doesn't care too much. Sapphire blue was original thought but just got back from dealer and Mamba does look sharp and will look nice in the long dark overcast winters. I don't need to finalize config until mid-august for December delivery (gulp). Anway, here is the code if you want to take a look and comment.
PM8LQRG3
The Porsche Code
Great build !!
Mamba green is an awesome color. I was debating between Mamba green, carmine red and Miami blue and Mamba green was a no brainer for me(it’s cheap at 700$ compared to the other ones I like and looks great)
I got mamba green macan S recently. GTS was not available when I ordered mine. I would have liked all black spyder wheels like yours but not an option on S.
Black door handles, black window trim looks great on my S. Your GTS has more black bits than mine which should look even better.

I would suggest trying all three kinds of seats. I have a base 8 way comfort seats and I wish I had gotten the 14 way/18 way for more adjustments.

Attaching a pic of my S for your reference.
940F15F7-FB7F-4D08-AB77-E26935B77F26.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@vvvarunv , Ha, it was just reading old threads and came across yours. Any wear or scratching issues on the black door handles, I personally like the way the black creates a center line with front and taillights. FYI, your Macan, obviously, looks great.

I tried the 14 vs 18 way seats today. I was expecting the 18-way seats to be really tight but they felt close to the 911, and felt very good. However, I could tell they would be a little tight for longer drives. In addition I think I would wear out the side bolster getting in/out as I am 5'10 and 230# . Also, I sat in the 14 way and they just felt perfect, definitely not as sporty and stable in the twisties as the 18-way but a very nice compromise which just felt right.

@wwahl , agree on the roof rails, they provide future versatility for myself or others. I already have a nice box, Yakima Skybox, for the roof which I used on my old Subaru Outback.

Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Half the Porsche owners ski (opinion). All the skiers want to use ski boxes (opinion). By cutting off the roof rails you diminished your resale market by 50% (opinion).
They make trailer hitch racks for skis & snowboards as well....

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
There's a lot to like about the car . At 85K it is an ideal priced GTS and it's got nice options .
Just a few comments -- pro and con and in between -

1) 14 way seats - They are my least favorite . The 18 way are really the way to go .

2) PTV -- 3 out of my 4 Macan had it . My current car has it . I dont live in snow. It's something which cant be retrofitted . I would buy. car off the lot without it but I would not order a car without it.

3) Roof Rails - This is another option which cant be retrofitted . I have never ordered them . I would never place anything on the roof of any of my cars but if you do you musty get them.

4) Mamba Green - Colors are a personal decision . You mention that your wife likes grey or black . I love our jet black metallic. I do tend to pick my cars in understated colors. If you can live with Mamba every day then go for it. The same goes for door handles . If you like then get them.

5) You do need sport design mirrors .

6) Tow Hitch - I bought a lot car which had one, never used it and looked at it like it was a huge eyesore . I personally pause with towing anything with PDK. Again (like roof rails) this comes to ones lifestyle with the vehicle .

The 09 997.2 S.. Is that a launch car (green , beige, PDK, chrono ) ? .... I know the car well.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
@yrralis1 has some great points of what to add to your build. He’s been around this block ordering and buying Macan’s over the years.

Like @wspollack is a huge supporter of the cargo management system I am a huge supporter of the tow hitch. Yes it does break up the look in the back, but that tow hitch came in handy when I was rear ended in my GTS this past May coming home from cleaning out my classroom.

I have never towed anything, and the only reason why i added the tow hitch is because I had one on my Q5 that my GTS replaced and I had a sea turtle cover that I loved and wanted to keep. Yes you are looking at a person who had a 600+ option add to her build just for a silly sea turtle cover that had memories tied to it.

Fast forward to May when I was rear ended by a F150 at a dead stop (he said that he left room between him and me, and he was pushed into me by being rear ended himself) waiting for a red light to change. looking at my pictures you wouldn’t think the damage was to bad. It wasn’t until the collision shop took off the bumper they were able to see how badly twisted the frame was underneath, and the tow hitch took most of the impact. I asked the lad at the collision shop what if I didn’t have the factory tow hitch installed, he told me that the damage would have been tons worst and I should be thankful I had it there. That was one guys option and talking with the manager at the collision shop he agreed with him and when I joked about buying my car back from insurance they both told to me take the money and run and order a new car. She had so much structural damage that they even wouldn’t buy it if they wanted to.

This was the second time I have been rear ended, my poor Q5 got hit by a F150 2 years into owning that car as well. So I will always add a factory installed tow hitch since I seem to be a magnet to be rear ended in my SUV’s after only having the SUV for 2 years.

Reactions: mplgaus

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@yrralis1
1) Yes, that is the 2009 launch edition 911 which I have seen one other time in person but mostly in forum posts, it is a nice combo of features, only added fister exhaust for a little sound.
2) will definitely reconsider on the PTV, overall not a huge investment and leaning to adding that in now.
3) roof rails a definite for me, I would use for paddle board or light weight kayak for use on various lakes, no skiing for me. I would be fine putting things on top as have used many times in past on my F-150 and old Outback.
4) Will look more closely at the mirrors. Seems main Pros are that is body color and easy to keep looking new with wash/wax, plus people like the look? Any other major pro? Con is $
5) 14 way seats were more comfortable, 18 ways more secure, on this, a very sporty SUV, I will take the comfort.
6) Tow hitch- my boat and travel trailer are too heavy for the Macan but I still might use it in other ways, agree that it looks like Sofia Vergara with a cell phone in her back pocket, but still very good and would be great to drive

@Jellybean - I read through your thread, glad you are well, I apologize on behalf of F-150 drivers as I don't think we are out to get you. Nice to know that safety likely increased and cost of repairs might be decreased in case of accident.

Again, thanks for input, I didn't think I would change much by posting but I see that you all work for Porsche and must get a % of sales, I joke.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Again, thanks for input, I didn't think I would change much by posting but I see that you all work for Porsche and must get a % of sales, I joke.
It's a sickness that's going around. "Macan Ordering and Features-itis" It generally only leads to increasing the options, not decreasing them. We've all got it bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so here is what I'm thinking, basically added the suggests. No more additions unless there are also subtractions! I will admit the stupid mirrors do look better than the base mirrors, unfortunately. PTV+, well I will be in rain most of time, occasional snow and trips to Bend Oregon area, for the beer and such, and might help 2.5 tons feel like 2 tons.

The Porsche Code

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
OK, so here is what I'm thinking, basically added the suggests. No more additions unless there are also subtractions! I will admit the stupid mirrors do look better than the base mirrors, unfortunately. PTV+, well I will be in rain most of time, occasional snow and trips to Bend Oregon area, for the beer and such, and might help 2.5 tons feel like 2 tons.

The Porsche Code
Is air suspension included? I was having difficulty seeing this.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts