Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mod - I searched the forum but could not find one for Socal Xpel dealer recommendation. If this thread need to be merger to an existing topic, please feel free to do so.

My GTS is scheduled to arrive San Diego port on 7/30 and will most likely be delivered within the first half of Aug. I have been looking at Xpel wrap and window tinting and got two different quotes from two installers in Socal inland area. Does anyone have a good Xpel/Window tinting installer to recommend in Socal inland area?

Below are quotes and different package pricing I got. Not sure if the prices are reasonable. I have not yet talk to installer B as I just saw their quote this morning.
**Installer A told me "....a substantial amount of stretching is required to contour the film on the hood of a Macan. It's regarded as the most difficult hood to install due to its dome shape. Stretching the film to achieve a seamless installation is extremely difficult with 8 Mil film let alone using the thicker more rigid 10 mil film.....". I saw many people talked about that Xpel has film large enough now that stretch to cover the hood of a Macan is no longer required in several Xpel discussions in the forum. So is the stretch required still? :unsure:
I know window tinting offered from both installers are different brand names. I am not sure why the Installer B did not mention Xpel product while it's an Xpel authorized installer.

Installer A:
Full Nose Options
Xpel Ultimate Wrap Full Nose 10 Mil (2 Days)
$3,299.99* (lowered from $3,499.99)
Front Bumper, Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors, Headlights, Fog Lights, Door Edges, Handles, Luggage Strip, Interior, Kick Panels, seamless hood

Xpel Ultimate Plus 8 Mil (2 Days)
$3,049.99*
Front Bumper, Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors, Headlights, Fog Lights, Door Edges, Handles, Luggage Strip, Seamless one piece hood

Full Gloss Wrap
Xpel Ultimate Full Wrap 8 Mil Option Entry level wrap(1 Week)
$5,999.99* (lowered from $6,999.99)
Full Vehicle Exterior Wrap with Gloss Xpel Ultimate
Xpel Ultimate 10 Mil Option Premier Standard Wrap(1 Week)
$10,499.99* (I wasn't considering this one as I thought this is a bit too much to spend on a PPF)
Full Vehicle Exterior Wrap with Gloss Xpel Ultimate (Interior Included)

Window Tinting
Xpel Prime XR Plus (Ceramic Tint) - Blocks out 98% of infrared light and 99% of UV light.
$399.99 Front windshield and two front side windows

Installer B:
Full Nose Wrap - Installer did not disclose the thickness of the film
Full Hood/full Front Fenders with wrapped edges, Front Bumper, Headlights, Backs of Mirrors, and door edges (full hood done in one piece no seams)
$1995.00
Wind Shield Tinting
$325 for 3M Crystalline or $275 for 3M IR Nano Ceramic

Thanks in advance for all of your comments and recommendations!!

Premium Member
$6K for a full Xpel wrap seems about right, assuming the installer knows what they are doing. Personally, I think PPF on any non-limited sub-$100k car is a waste.

I would 100% recommend not doing Xpel Prime XR Plus. It has a blueish tone to it and will clash with the brownish tone of the factory smoked rear windows. I had it on my car for about 28 hours before I replaced it with Pinnacle Formula 1.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$6K for a full Xpel wrap seems about right, assuming the installer knows what they are doing. Personally, I think PPF on any non-limited sub-$100k car is a waste.

I would 100% recommend not doing Xpel Prime XR Plus. It has a blueish tone to it and will clash with the brownish tone of the factory smoked rear windows. I had it on my car for about 28 hours before I replaced it with Pinnacle Formula 1.
Thank you very much for your suggestion! I would not spend money on PPF if not because of socal freeways are heavy with semi and construction truck traffics. My current car has quite a bit of rock chips on hood, bumper and mirrors. I agree with doing a full car wrap could be a unnecessary spend of money. However, I would like have Xpel wrap just for the front at least to provide some protections on the chalk paint I paid extra for. 馃槄

The window tinting on my GTS would be for wind shield (clear tint) and two front side windows. I have opted thermally insulated glasses from Porsche. Hence, I probably would not need additional tinting for my rear windows/glass. Thank you for the recommendation of Pinnacle Formula 1. Does it interfere with cell phone signal?

Registered
6-10K to wrap an SUV ? Save the money ! Unless a person is tracking a car or drives on roads with insane construction its not worth it . Even depreciation with an actual chip wouldn't cost nearly that . Plus it won't protect against the rock falling off a mountain .

I think of all the money I have wasted on things like unused Nav but I am is glad I saved 30K by not wrapping my 3 cars !!!

Registered
6-10K to wrap an SUV ? Save the money ! Unless a person is tracking a car or drives on roads with insane construction its not worth it . Even depreciation with an actual chip wouldn't cost nearly that . Plus it won't protect against the rock falling off a mountain .

I think of all the money I have wasted on things like unused Nav but I am is glad I saved 30K by not wrapping my 3 cars !!!
I have to agree. This all gets a bit ridiculous for an SUV. Yeah, maybe for a GT2RS or something that matters long term this kind of protection makes sense, but it's easy to get carried away with PPF and ceramic coatings etc. on a daily driver like a Macan. When you go to trade in in 3 to 5 years the dealer is not going to give you a penny more for your vehicle because it has $5k to 10k in protection products and certainly not going to penalize you anywhere near what you spent on said protection for a some normal small front sand / rock chips etc. Good routine washing/diy waxing etc., care and maintenance is really all something like a Macan needs to look near new 5 years down the road.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Draper Thank you very much for the caution note on the color! I thought I know what you were saying when I your reply, It didn't really hit me until I saw a tint film comparison video on the YouTube this weekend. Now, I totally understand why you replaced it after 28 hours of installation! THANK YOU!!!

Registered
Don鈥檛 think whole car is worth it. I did xpel ultimate for:
Front bumper
Full Hood (2-piece - seams aren鈥檛 noticeable but I have Sapphire blue, lighter cars will probably show dirt in the seams over time)
Mirror caps
Door cups
Door edges
Side skirts
Full Rear bumper

I paid around $2200 I believe

Also did Pinnacle F1 ceramic tints to match factory rears and it does not interfere with keyless entry, tollway transponders, etc. Color match is perfect

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don鈥檛 think whole car is worth it. I did xpel ultimate for:
Front bumper
Full Hood (2-piece - seams aren鈥檛 noticeable but I have Sapphire blue, lighter cars will probably show dirt in the seams over time)
Mirror caps
Door cups
Door edges
Side skirts
Full Rear bumper

I paid around $2200 I believe

Also did Pinnacle F1 ceramic tints to match factory rears and it does not interfere with keyless entry, tollway transponders, etc. Color match is perfect
Agree, I don't think it's worth to do the whole car. I may just do the full nose wrap if I decided to do it. How dark is your window tint on Pinnacle F1? I know the color tone (brown to blue) varies with the how dark/light the film is even within the same series (example, Pinnacle F1).

Registered
Agree, I don't think it's worth to do the whole car. I may just do the full nose wrap if I decided to do it. How dark is your window tint on Pinnacle F1? I know the color tone (brown to blue) varies with the how dark/light the film is even within the same series (example, Pinnacle F1).
20%, here is a recent pic in direct sun to compare front and rears

Registered
2018 GTS
Previous owner had this installed on my GTS and I can't stand it, it's not nearly as nice as the paint and I have no idea how to "polish" it but that's just my lack of motivation to research it as I just want it gone.

I am also removing the front tint that was added I can't see at night with it although it does look good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
20%, here is a recent pic in direct sun to compare front and rears

Thank you for the picture! It made it easier for me to see how dark it gets. Cool wheel and break caliper color you have! It made a great contrast with the blue on your GTS. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Previous owner had this installed on my GTS and I can't stand it, it's not nearly as nice as the paint and I have no idea how to "polish" it but that's just my lack of motivation to research it as I just want it gone.

I am also removing the front tint that was added I can't see at night with it although it does look good.
Do you know what brand of the PPF installed from the previously owner?

Registered
This entire thread has me rethinking getting the front of my MY21 GTS covered in PPF. Plan to do ceramic coating as well, but now I am questioning if the PPF (~$2K) is worth it. Help!

Premium Member
People tend to focus on the front end as the biggest area that needs to be protected.

IMHO, the real problem areas on cars with wide sticky tires and big rear hips is the rockers, lower doors, and lower rear bumper (behind the wheels). If you add spacers it just gets worse.

These areas will take wear from simply driving, regardless of any bad luck you may have on the freeway.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts