Porsche Macan Forum banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cayenne S
7 Posts
Has anyone tried changing the PCM Fuses in the fuse box? Or found a solution other than keep going to the dealer for warranty replacements?
YES. I called my dealer about this and they sent me instructions to do a hard reset. Worked perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is the fix guys........works perfect.......my dealer sent me you tube instructions. You will have to reset all your previous settings including phone.
Works normally again.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried changing the PCM Fuses in the fuse box? Or found a solution other than keep going to the dealer for warranty replacements?
I was having this issue of the PCM resetting. It all of a sudden started last week on Thursday. Was about to schedule a service appointment but then decided to search the internet again for a fix and found this. It worked! The resetting has stopped. See this YouTube video.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"My car just started doing this yesterday and it resets every 2.5 minutes. Curious to know if there are any updates with others."
My 2015 Macan started doing this last week. Doing a PCM handover (also known as a PCM hard reset) corrected the issue. NOTE: I did have to do it 3 times.
To perform a PCM handover (also known as a PCM hard reset):
1. Press and hold the PCM>>Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
2. Immediately select the following: PCM CAR>>OPTION>>SET PCM System>>Reset PCM>>Vehicle Handover>>YES>>YES.
3. Be aware that hard resetting the PCM will remove all personalized settings

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I did the hard reset last week. Worked like a champ, until today. So I'll need to do the reset again. Wonder if anyone else's reset today.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's so great that everyone wants to help by sharing; that's what community is about. Everyone also keeps posting the same work around (note, I say "work around", not "solution.")

Three things:
1. As far as I can see, the only Macans affected are those with the original PCM, meaning through model year 2016. The problem does not seem to affect 2017 on.
2. To (temporarily) stop the problem, you do the handover procedure, as has been posted innumerable times above by now. By the way, there is a minor difference in the way the handover procedure is described, depending on source. One step is to hold the info key down to reboot the PCM. Some procedures say to do that before the handover step Others say after. I don't know which is correct (or even if it matters), but my suggestion is do it both before and after. It only takes a few seconds.
3. The handover procedure does not "fix" the problem. It appears that, at least as recently as yesterday, SiriusXM is still pushing out the update that causes the problem, and it can happen again...so I wouldn't waste my time reloading the juke box right now! I find it very discouraging that a week after the problem was first seen that SiriusXM would still be pushing out the update.

It happens that I have a pre-existing 6-year service appointment on my 2014 Boxster for next week. It also happens that my CPO warranty expired two days ago (after this problem happened). So after I had the problem, but before my CPO expired, I emailed the service department to go on record that I had the problem (in case the permanent solution includes something that Porsche would otherwise charge for). The answer I got back was to do the handover (which I had already done), and that Porsche says it's a self-correcting problem. I don't know exactly what that means but I doubt that that's factual.

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
It's so great that everyone wants to help by sharing; that's what community is about. Everyone also keeps posting the same work around (note, I say "work around", not "solution.")

Three things:
1. As far as I can see, the only Macans affected are those with the original PCM, meaning through model year 2016. The problem does not seem to affect 2017 on.
2. To (temporarily) stop the problem, you do the handover procedure, as has been posted innumerable times above by now. By the way, there is a minor difference in the way the handover procedure is described, depending on source. One step is to hold the info key down to reboot the PCM. Some procedures say to do that before the handover step Others say after. I don't know which is correct (or even if it matters), but my suggestion is do it both before and after. It only takes a few seconds.
3. The handover procedure does not "fix" the problem. It appears that, at least as recently as yesterday, SiriusXM is still pushing out the update that causes the problem, and it can happen again...so I wouldn't waste my time reloading the juke box right now! I find it very discouraging that a week after the problem was first seen that SiriusXM would still be pushing out the update.

It happens that I have a pre-existing 6-year service appointment on my 2014 Boxster for next week. It also happens that my CPO warranty expired two days ago (after this problem happened). So after I had the problem, but before my CPO expired, I emailed the service department to go on record that I had the problem (in case the permanent solution includes something that Porsche would otherwise charge for). The answer I got back was to do the handover (which I had already done), and that Porsche says it's a self-correcting problem. I don't know exactly what that means but I doubt that that's factual.
Its fine for everyone to keep providing the "workarounds" as long as its not repeated in multiple threads. But some things to note, just from reading more of the pcar community

First, is seems to be only PCM 3.

Second, some reports is the fix is just temporary, just like you reported

Last, there are reports of dead batteries in the sports car communities. They have smaller batteries than the Macan. That might be partly why coupled with how often the car is driven or on a charger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. New to the site and have only been lurking so far, but wanted to post about this one. It was a Sirius / XM update issue that affected Porsches. Took mine in for service thinking PCM was having and issue and they called me back in 2 hours telling me it was fixed. XM apparently gave them a reset process to solve it. I don't have it with me at the moment but I do have it if anyone needs it. You all may have solved it by now, but wanted to offer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello all. New to the site and have only been lurking so far, but wanted to post about this one. It was a Sirius / XM update issue that affected Porsches. Took mine in for service thinking PCM was having and issue and they called me back in 2 hours telling me it was fixed. XM apparently gave them a reset process to solve it. I don't have it with me at the moment but I do have it if anyone needs it. You all may have solved it by now, but wanted to offer.
Post it here if it hasn't been posted 20 times in this thread already.

The handover will not solve it. Twice I've had to repeat the procedure. I didn't even attempt to set up my stations and all because when i have to do it a third time I will lose everything again. I'm not sold it's a Sirius cause either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Post it here if it hasn't been posted 20 times in this thread already.

The handover will not solve it. Twice I've had to repeat the procedure. I didn't even attempt to set up my stations and all because when i have to do it a third time I will lose everything again. I'm not sold it's a Sirius cause either.
Same experience here...used the reset procedure and 4 days later the reboot problem returned. Second reset had prompts in a mix of English and German(?) and has been in place for 3 days.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just received this email from Porsche. Apparently they are aware of the issue.

We are aware that some of our customers are experiencing an issue with their vehicle’s central communication unit, known as the Porsche Communication Management (PCM), causing it to continuously reboot.​
If your vehicle is equipped with PCM and you are experiencing this condition, performing a hard reset of the PCM should resolve the concern. To perform this reset please follow these steps:​
***Before performing this procedure, ensure that your vehicle is located outdoors. Please note that hard resetting the PCM will remove all personalized settings
  1. Press and hold the INFO button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
  2. Press the CAR button.
  3. Press the OPTION button or touch the tab of the same name in the header.
  4. Select "SET PCM system">>"Reset PCM".
  5. Select "Vehicle handover" This resets all settings to predefined values and deletes your personal settings and data (including addresses, destinations, radio stations, phone numbers, as well as the recordings in the Sport display).
  6. Confirm the relevant prompt by selecting "Yes".
If after performing this procedure your vehicle continues to experience consistent reboots please contact your local authorized dealership to schedule an appointment for further diagnosis.​

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
I believe by now everyone has gotten that email but i believe after doing extensive research across lots of Porsche, VW and Audi Forums and talking to multiple drivers and their experiences. I have come up with the conclusion that is HEAT related and not XM Related at all. The SATA Drive due to heat end up corrupting files or clusters within the drive causing these issues.

Some are simply experiencing CACHE Issues where the unit's OS (QNX) just simply cant keep up with either a large content of data coming from Music, Files, or XM Radio and clearing the Cache or doing a soft reset will likely fix it but then some need to do a full blown HANDOVER Procedure and lastly, if you let the unit crash too many times, some users experience the drive itself becoming corrupted and that requires a whole new PCM Unit (Which is ideal for the income of the dealers) or you can do a DIY solution by replacing your SATA Drive inside your PCM

Step 1 (refer to video)
Clear the CACHE from the PCM

STEP 2 (refer to video)
DELETE ALL CONTENT by way of Handing over to a new Owner procedures within the PCM

STEP 3 (refer to video)
CLEAR CACHE One last time

(If this doesn't fix it) You may need to replace the hard drive but you will need to clone primarily the BOOT SECTOR and PCM OS (QNX) and any info into the new drive by way of using a cloning software. (DO NOT TRANSFER PERSONAL FILES, MUSIC, ETC - RESET DRIVE FIRST WITHIN PCM on STEP 2 before removing drive from PCM to clone it)

CLONING YOUR PCM DRIVE:
If you attempt to clone the drive yourself: You Must first buy a new SATA Drive - PNY CS900 120GB 2.5 inch SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - (SSD7CS900-120-RB) https://amzn.to/2Bgr7TS

• Use a PC with SATA Drive capabilities
  • Use Clonezilla on a bootable USB drive Clonezilla - About
  • Remove PCM fuse (It's in the rear Fuse Box)
  • Remove your hard drive from your PCM
  • The hard drive is at the top of the PCM. (T8 screws)
  • Unplug the ribbon connector from the back of the drive, NOT from the PCM end.
  • Once removed attach the drive you just removed and the new drive to your PC
  • Change the boot order on PC to boot from USB using your Clonezilla bootable USB drive and then start Clonezilla
Run Clonezilla, chose to clone from device to device, select the source drive (PCM) and the destination (new SSD SATA DRIVE)
- Once is completed. Re-Insert the fuse and instal the drive and test the PCM before putting everything back together.

(If Cloning your PCM Drive is above your head, please take the drives to Geek Squad or a PC Tech and have them clone the drives for you but make sure you RESET AND DELETE all your content first as you are not trying to copy any possible corrupted data or cluster to the new drive as this is the issue to begin with)

Hope this helps other users :)

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Hi Saul,
Way awesome man that you have been able to share the cloning procedure. IMO having a clone image saved can only be a a GREAT safety feature from any other kind of future PCM failure, so even as a preventative measure worth doing !!

A few questions please:
1) Have you performed this cloning, and if so, did you notice PCM general speed improvements? I would think loading mp3,GUI, maybe maps etc, has to be way faster , as an SSD is waaaaaay faster than Sata in general.

2) Your drive selection, is 120G, is that the Max the QNC O/S can Address, can we go bigger? The suggested drive is $22.00 , is it the best quality? I would make multiple copies of this at once.....but would want to use only the best SSD drive.
What are the “compatibility” requirements when searching for the SSD ?

3) Once complete, say you are under warranty, and there is a PCM update campaign, do you see any problems from dealer with update or this drive would be “invisible” ?

4)Do you have NAV on your system ? Does the clone move all this dataover ? Are the maps NAV firmware saved or pulled down continually?

Thanks once again man.

Now to figure out how to pull the PCM out :)

2016 Macan T

161 - 180 of 200 Posts