Porsche Macan Forum banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
Hi Saul,
Way awesome man that you have been able to share the cloning procedure. IMO having a clone image saved can only be a a GREAT safety feature from any other kind of future PCM failure, so even as a preventative measure worth doing !!

A few questions please:
1) Have you performed this cloning, and if so, did you notice PCM general speed improvements? I would think loading mp3,GUI, maybe maps etc, has to be way faster , as an SSD is waaaaaay faster than Sata in general.

2) Your drive selection, is 120G, is that the Max the QNC O/S can Address, can we go bigger? The suggested drive is $22.00 , is it the best quality? I would make multiple copies of this at once.....but would want to use only the best SSD drive.
What are the “compatibility” requirements when searching for the SSD ?

3) Once complete, say you are under warranty, and there is a PCM update campaign, do you see any problems from dealer with update or this drive would be “invisible” ?

4)Do you have NAV on your system ? Does the clone move all this dataover ? Are the maps NAV firmware saved or pulled down continually?

Thanks once again man.

Now to figure out how to pull the PCM out :)

2016 Macan T
Hi Ted, I agree with you and having a back drive would be a good idea.

To answer your questions. I did not replace the drive myself. I learned this method from a 911 Owner with the same PCM 3.1 but he had let the PCM go in a reset loop for weeks so the PCM drive ended up going corrupt and having bad clusters to where resetting did not work. The drive i listed is the same one he sent me a link for but did not comment on improvements. A lot of Cayenne owner have been doing this upgrade to SSD drives so it is not an uncommon upgrade and many recommend it in fact.

Many use SATA HDD or SSD Drives (minimum 100GB HDD or 120GB SSD ) 2.5 inch 'laptop size') Early PCM3.x systems i believe use PATA disks which may be the reason why this is happening to begin with since in today's industry standards car manufacturers use
SSDs/HDDs because they handle extreme climates very well.

I personally notice improvements on my own PCM simply by resetting. I was having a bit of issues where it was freezing or it would slow down an even freeze to the point it would reboot. All that is working smoothly and i feel like doing a soft reset here and there can fix almost all PCM issues since it isn't a bad habit to do on phones or computers. The PCM is no different. I have read it fixes most Bluetooth and XM Issues as well.

I am pretty sure upgrading the drive can be done but i wouldn't go too much higher than OEM as most manufacturers enhance their OS to keep up with a specific range. Also the larger the drive, the harder the OS has to work to archive and scan through all the files. We have to be mindful that while upgrading the drive, you are still working with an older OS with limited amount of RAM and processing power.

I am not under warranty anymore. I am pretty sure upgrading your drive would void your warranty as it is something a dealer did not do and i highly doubt dealers would do this type of hard drive upgrade. From what i've seen in all forums is that they simply replace the entire PCM under warranty and i have seen many people having to go back multiple times to get them replaced more than once.

If anyone is still under warranty. I would just suggest follow the video to learn how to do a soft reset and if it continues to do a full handover reset. If caught in the resetting loop, do not wait too long to do handover reset or it may trigger the drive to corrupt files, clusters or even worse corrupt the drive and at this point a dealer warranty replacement is a must. If outside of warranty, then the DIY Drive cloning would be the least expensive

From what i have seen is that it became so common that they actually had to send an official email with a common hard reset instruction since many warranty claims were just PCM's that had corrupted files or were resetting because owners did not know how to do a simple maintenance soft reset to clear the cache of their PCM's.

In my opinion they should had also included the soft reset instructions in that email. As this will improve the interface speed and fix most small issues that lead to the final resetting loop.

Lastly, yes i do have Navigation and the handover reset will delete all user data. Now if you are referring to when cloning the drive. The answer is yes as the first step before cloning is to do a handover reset as you are trying to minimize the amount of corrupted files before cloning and hoping the OS and booting files did not get affected by the hard drive crashing.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Thanks,
Did he post his cloning experience , where by we can read/learn it more ?

It would suck to kill the OEM drive if it gets corrupted during the “read” and the clone did not work :)

2016 Macan T

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
I also agree Saul that Heat can kill HDD’s.......but in this recent instance of rebooting there seemed to be many at once. Are you positive this is not XM “push update” related ?

2016 Macan T

·
Registered
476 Posts
Heat. Yeah when it was 54*F the day it started in Seattle. Also bras cause breast cancer.

Everyone is experiencing the same issue at the same time in different climates all due to heat. Give me a break.

The first thing I did the day it happened was a handover reset. Obvious first step IMO and it rebooted 3x times on the way back after the "fix". Did not improve or solve the issue on May 20th. I did it again the next day (this time in a garage w no visibility to the sky unlike the day before) and from driving the car yesterday it at least did not reboot during a very short trip to the dr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm going to do my 2nd handoff reboot now. 1st one lasted about a week and then today it started up again. I will also have XM send me a new signal. After that???

2016 Macan S

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Thanks,
Did he post his cloning experience , where by we can read/learn it more ?

It would suck to kill the OEM drive if it gets corrupted during the “read” and the clone did not work :)

2016 Macan T
He has been doing HD Upgrades on other rennlist forum members for a while, his user name is jslow

There is other users that have also been doing hard drive upgrades for a while

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
Getting out of the (HDD) weeds and back on the track of the XM update trigger for the isssue, have other
members received email from PCNA acknowledging the issue and providing the list of recovery steps,
as posted in the ofrum a couple of weeks ago?

I suppose it's "nice" they sent the email (several days late!), though it owuld be even nicer if they'd
announce a solution to the issue - like promised future coordination with XM/Sirius, etc.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hard reset worked for exactly one week. Now it’s crashing again! I'll give my Porsche service a call. Is there a fuse I can pull to kill it temporarily? It is driving me crazy - again!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just another data point. 2015 Macan Turbo w/ XM. Performed the dealer's instructions for handover / hard reboot on May 21st. Problem was solved until this morning, now it's back. Car is driven daily.

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
HDD/SSD related discussion posts moved to their own thread:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just received the email a week ago about 3 days after the problem started. My question is why are these emails going out in waves and not all at once? Does the PCM send errors back to Porsche and that prompts the email? When was the XM update pushed out? Can we control those updates to revert back to a previous version? Or are these auto updates only.

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
I just received the email a week ago about 3 days after the problem started. My question is why are these emails going out in waves and not all at once? Does the PCM send errors back to Porsche and that prompts the email? When was the XM update pushed out? Can we control those updates to revert back to a previous version? Or are these auto updates only.

1. If you look at the first posts in this thread you'll have your answer to when the XM/Sirius update was pushed out.

2. You do not have a choice in the matter. The update goes out wirelessly.

3. You cannot revert to a previous version - you do not control the version of XM/Sirius soft/firmware running on the h/w.

4. It is likely there is an end user agreement with wording to the effect that you opt to receive updates if/when they become available.

Cheer up - I received my email from Porsche WEEKS after the issue was first reported in this forum.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Cheer up indeed. I have never received anything from Porsche and I have a factory warranty till April 2021.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Cheer up - I received my email from Porsche WEEKS after the issue was first reported in this forum.
I brought mine in for the reset yesterday (along with factory recall). I had not and still have not received any communication from Porsche about this. Not even an email.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2015 S started doing the PCM Reboot Doom Loop thing again last night - so I performed the recommended Handover procedure for the second time - I wonder if this is going to be a weekly Preventive Maintenance procedure...FFS. At least I'm getting quicker at reprogramming my XM stations and pairing my phone.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am in the camp of rebooting again today (June 7) after handover was done 2 weeks ago when the problem started (around May 23) but not driving every day but at least 2 times a week. I am also in the camp where the dealer and Porsche officially sent info for the handover procedure. Will be performing this over and over until it is over. However, if PCM or other components fail given that it is a known issue and I at least have a chance at a claim for out of warranty replacement of parts affected by this.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Is the Porsche Handover procedure just a band aid? Does it fix the cause, or just the symptom? Some here have said they performed the recommended Porsche fix, and the problem returned.

my car is at the Dealer now for various service issues including the recent PCM problem, when I express my concern, SA says “oh no worries easy fix”, but I am concerned that the reboot problem will return, Anybody out there performed the fix and all is ok now?

i just drove 1,100 miles up the Baja from Cabo to San Diego with the PCM rebooting itself every 2 minutes, over 20 hours continuous driving. I am concerned the hard drive could be damaged. Dealer says “oh no worries easy fix” -
is it?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
So glad I am still working at home and any trips I make are close and rare. Pulled the fuse and am just waiting to see when you guys report a fix. For longer self-isolating drives to the lakes I take my '73 911S which has no radio, no power anything and doesn't know the meaning of the word "reboot".

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
No issue with my '16 at all. But the dealer had to replace my PCM a couple of years ago because it was constantly rebooting like so many are now experiencing.

181 - 200 of 200 Posts