Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2021 GTS off the lot. It has a wireless charger, which I think is a ridiculously priced option even by Porsche standards. It overheats my iPhone 12 mini to the point where functions stop until it cools down. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will assume it’s the same wireless charger used across VW, as my wife’s 2021 SQ7 has the same overheating issue. She has to use a cable or leave the armrest up to vent. My 2020 Macan GTS doesn’t have wireless charging...maybe a good thing?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wife’s Cayenne does the same thing with her 11 Pro.

We just don’t use it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Where is the wireless phone charger located? Can someone drop a pic? I assume it's in the center console and takes up additional space, but could never find a pic. Considering adding this on my next Macan... but maybe not if it makes the phone hot like fire!

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is the wireless phone charger located? Can someone drop a pic? I assume it's in the center console and takes up additional space, but could never find a pic. Considering adding this on my next Macan... but maybe not if it makes the phone hot like fire!
Center console. Would not add it based on this experience. And if you have a large phone it may not fit.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Known in cars? At home not an issue ever.
That’s what my dealer told me.
My wife and I have wireless chargers for use at home and in the office and they don’t cause any heating issues.

I would never order such an accessory, but like others said, this was a car we bought off the dealer lot.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Here is another hot phone hint. I put a phone holder on my windshield. When the sun comes in it will fry your phone just like the charger. One must take the phone off the holder and keep it in the shade during high summer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
As someone who’s had to deal with a lot of Wireless Charger issues in the past, alignment is key. If your phone is so much as off by 1/4 of an inch, the phone and charger will heat up quite badly. I have since ditched all wireless chargers (home and stopped using them in cars because...yeah what’s the point?)

I love people (when we used to have an office) that would LOVE to Airplay VERY IMPORTANT presentations and FREAK OUT when the wireless AirPlay wouldn’t work. If it’s THAT important, the HDMI cable is RIGHT there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In case if your iPhone or the remote charger is overheating, eliminate it first, and permit an ideal opportunity for both the charging unit and your phone to chill off. At the point when the temperature drops to a typical state, attempt to put the telephone on the charging unit and ensure it's charging. Generally, I would not stress over remote charging and warmth. The phone will consequently close down in the event that it gets excessively hot, holding it back from getting harmed. That ought to likewise quit charging before it gets hazardous. In any case, it's a smart thought to do some painstakingly checked tests and get combustible materials far from your phone charger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my 2021 GTS off the lot. It has a wireless charger, which I think is a ridiculously priced option even by Porsche standards. It overheats my iPhone 12 mini to the point where functions stop until it cools down. Anyone else having this problem?
Mine is a 2021 Macan S. Same exact problem for me. I thought it was bc my phone was defective so I tried it with another phone… same results. I brought it to the dealership @Porsche and they said there’s nothing they can do to fix it Bc there’s no known fix?! They recommended that I call customer service to voice my issue. 😒😞

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same story. Partially because it's very hot outside now and my phone has a case.
I don’t see how this could be resolved in colder months. I don’t use a case for my phone, or the other phone I tested on. The iPhone is the latest model, so not entirely sure what’s going on. Hate to pay for something we can’t use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don’t see how this could be resolved in colder months. I don’t use a case for my phone, or the other phone I tested on. The iPhone is the latest model, so not entirely sure what’s going on. Hate to pay for something we can’t use.
you’re right - this issue is the same in winter and summer..it’s just a poorly designed implementation as there is no airflow in the armrest to keep the phone cool.

I now use a USB-C adapter to charge my phone in the armrest

·
Registered
2021 Macan GTS
6 Posts
Just took delivery of my '21 Macan GTS and somewhat regretting choosing the wireless charging option. It's tricky to get my 12 pro max seated properly due to the length of the phone. Though some in the forum have said they're able to get wireless charging even with an Apple leather case on a 12 pro max, that hasn't been my experience; only success with case off. If I have to take the case off and roast my phone I will probably just use a cable 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took delivery of my heavily optioned Macan GTS a month ago. I selected all the sports options, surface coated brakes, great interior with racetex headliner, thermal glass because it is hot here, 18 way vented seats (because it is hot here), etc. I love this car!!!

I HATE the wireless charging!!! It overheats the phone/black screen, it adds about 1% an hour (not really, but so slow it is useless), and it is a great way to forget your phone in the car (in spite of the screen notice on shut down). I regret ordering it and highly recommend not selecting it. My girlfriends Ford Explorer Platinum has a neat tray that you rest the phone in that works great which is what I was expecting. Porsche should come up with a fix. Finally I joined this forum primarily so I could rant like this on this thread! Sincerely, disappointed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts