Porsche Macan Forum banner

181 - 200 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thought I would share a handy tip I discovered to do my tire change overs.

I purchased a wheel stud pilot pin, I have a Audi Q5, Jetta and also change a friends Audi A4. I picked up the Thexton THE499 on AMZ. Amazing little tool that avoids a wheel dropping when removing and helps you guide the wheel onto the rim and line it up.
Did you check your toolkit in the hatch. My 2017 Macan S came with one. No need to go out and buy one.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's time for revive this thread as Starks have been always right - Winter Is Coming!

I am looking to build my staggered winter setup similar to Porsche OEM 20" Winter setup but using aftermarket rims.
So far I've got in touch with Tires23, Simply Tire and rennsportire.ca (recommended by @bobblehead) to get quotes.

20 inch staggered rims I am looking at -
DAI Wheels R98 rims (aka Macan GTS relicas)
DAI Wheels R182 rims (aka Sport Classics replicas)
eBay rims (aka 20" Spyders replicas)

TPMS sensors -
There has been some confusion on my part about different TPMS sensors used on 2019 and newer Macans, so I went to Pfaff Parts and they verified that 2019 and 2020 Macans use the same TMPS sensors, so I can buy OEM sensors from eBay or just have a tire shop install whatever compatible sensors they use in Macans.

Tires -
I haven't decided what tires I want, probably Porsche spec tires
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA5 SUV
Pirelli Scorpion Winter
And one exception to consider - Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV

What's your plan? What rims, sensors and tires are you getting?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I like the Dai R182 rims. As for tires, I am not a fan of any Pirelli products at all. The Michelin will be more pricier for sure.

I am picking up the Nokian Hakka R3 SUV tires for my sister's new GLC43. I am going staggered and rennsport tires does have pretty good price too after shopping around. Don't bother with Simply Tires nowadays as there is a change of owner since early this year and the new owner has no clue in tires business at all and bought the business just because of past reputation of Simply Tires.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I like the Dai R182 rims. As for tires, I am not a fan of any Pirelli products at all. The Michelin will be more pricier for sure.

I am picking up the Nokian Hakka R3 SUV tires for my sister's new GLC43. I am going staggered and rennsport tires does have pretty good price too after shopping around. Don't bother with Simply Tires nowadays as there is a change of owner since early this year and the new owner has no clue in tires business at all and bought the business just because of past reputation of Simply Tires.
Surprisingly Pirellis are the most expensive and Michelins are the cheapest with Nokian Hakkapelittas right in between.
So Michelin (N0) or Nokian Hakkapelittas?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea as you want taller sidewall for winter usage (to absorb those crappy potholes). Just my 2 cents.

As for Michelin vs Nokian .... Michelin will likely be better for dry roads and braking. Nokian will be better in snow/ice condition. If you go north of GTA often and/or drive a long distance for commute, I would think the latter can be considered a bit more when narrowing down your choice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the R3 SUVs on my stock 20” staggered setup. Phenomenal winter tire. Best I have had. About 6k miles and holding well. I hear they get a bit noisy deeper into the tread. I bought a set of 21s for my summer setup and moved my 20s to winter use.

ETA- it took about 4 months to source the R3s here in the states but that had to do with 1) new tire size for Nokia 2) limited US distributors and stock and 3) slow boat from Finland.

·
Registered
15 Posts
View attachment 226264 View attachment 226265 View attachment 226266 View attachment 226267

Ordered 20" staggered setup - DAI R182 in gloss black, TPMS and Hakka R3. The shop will throw in gloss black center caps.
Thank you all for your help!
Hi Fooit! Help! I just purchased almost the entire same set up, but I ended up getting the R98 wheels. However, it did not come with Porsche crested center caps. Were those provided by where you bought the tire? from pictures below looks like it was from rennsportire.ca? Thanks!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Fooit! Help! I just purchased almost the entire same set up, but I ended up getting the R98 wheels. However, it did not come with Porsche crested center caps. Were those provided by where you bought the tire? from pictures below looks like it was from rennsportire.ca? Thanks!
Yes, the place I got my setup from provided those caps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Reviving this thread. New GTS owner, I’ve been researching winter tire and rims for the car. A lot of reputable local shops sell packages in square setups but everyone in this forum seems to be against square setups. Is everyone running Staggered winters here? Where should I go to get a decent staggered set. Thanks!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Have stock 18winters bought from, and installed by, the Porsche dealership on our 2017 GTS. They are staggered.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Reviving this thread. New GTS owner, I’ve been researching winter tire and rims for the car. A lot of reputable local shops sell packages in square setups but everyone in this forum seems to be against square setups. Is everyone running Staggered winters here? Where should I go to get a decent staggered set. Thanks!
Can't speak for everyone - I am running staggered because that's what Porsche designed and sells, and I am not going to argue with them.
I am running 20" because it looks good to me.
What area are you from - lots of ideas where to get your quotes in this thread.
Good luck!

·
Registered
568 Posts
@vwprince, did you find your matching center caps?
I've seen somebody posted a link where to get them online recently, most likely in Parts For Sale section of the forum

·
Registered
18 Posts
Currently considering options for winter setup for the 2020 GTS.

OEM 20 Silver RS Spyders from Pfaff are $6500 + $230 (for center caps) + HST. This would be installed with TPMS.
Unknown tire that comes with the set. Sound like people in the past have gotten Dunlop or Pirelli Scorpions.

Rennsport tire has the DAI R98 or R182 with:
Option 1 with Michelin X-Ice Snow - $2,690
Option 2 with Pirelli Scorpion Winter - $2,750
Option 3 with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV - $2,950
The above prices include OEM center caps, TPMS, balanced and installed.

~4k difference is tough to swallow between OEM and aftermarket. How have the DAI rims been for people who have been using them so far?

181 - 200 of 223 Posts