Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started searching around recently for winter tires and rims. Finding decent 19" or 20" tires is relatively easy, but I can't seem to find any cheap rims. I'd like to put 19" winters on because they are cheaper and there is better selection.

I have a choice: get more expensive 20" tires and swap them on my existing rims or go with expensive mag rims for 19" tires.

Anyone find a source for 19" steel rims that fit?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
How cheap of rims ?

Me and a few Canadian bloggers here have started the search as well.

We have talked about the following: around $1800 - $2000+ for a set (HST included)

Avant Garde M580 - spec. to any offset by the manuf.
Vossen
TSW

For the more expensive ones, like HRE Flow form and Vorsteiner Flow form
- these run into the $3,100 to $3,500 (wheels only - HST included)

Right now, the research is still at the early stage and I am still looking for other brands to see who can make our offset. Stay tuned.

btw, forget about the OEM stock 19". I got quoted last week from Downtown Porsche in Toronto, they want $5500 for a complete set (taxes included, tires & wheels & tpms) and they do offer free install which they value $250 retail. LOL.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
btw, forget about the OEM stock 19". I got quoted last week from Downtown Porsche in Toronto, they want $5500 for a complete set (taxes included, tires & wheels & tpms) and they do offer free install which they value $250 retail. LOL.
Mark Motors in Ottawa quoted me the same price, which is probably $1500 more than it needs to be.

With a little hunting around I got a quote for Replika R152 rims for $192/ea plus $370/tire for 265/50R19 Michelin Latitude Alpins. The only remaining issue is the TPMS sensors. Can you run without them or is there a place to get them other than Porsche?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
You can run without the tpms but the warning icon will remain there for the entire winter season. If you want them, any tire/wheel shop should have them. You will need the 433mhz ones. Looks like they are running near $100 per.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My Macan S will be delivered by November (Toronto, Canada), at that time I will be looking for a set of winter tire w rim. Anyone interested to join a bulk buy from one source to get a group discount?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
another blogger here @TimD is arranging with Simply Tire in North York to come out with a small group buy setup. Right now, it's still a bit early but he is going to let us know once Simply Tire is ready with the prices (probably sometimes in mid to late Septemeber)

For now, I have also contact Simply Tire to see what wheels would fit the Macan and just waiting for some feedback soon.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Acting for @TimD, just got email back from Simply Tire. Owner, Allen is on vacation and will be back in early Sep and he will then need a week to get organize and to sort out what wheels & tires out there will fit our Macan (besides the ones found in TireRack)

For now, typically, Simply Tire will refer whatever you see in Tirerack as the main reference as they also buy directly wheels from TireRack @ their wholesale prices.

Note: I bought from Simply just last year (for my Dad's MB) and their prices were generally competitive to the other local shops.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the same boat for winters. Mark Motors said they would take my A6 18" winter rims and tires as a trade in, but not sure what value they will give me. Pick up my 'S' Thursday so will ask them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the TPMS sensors aren't required? There was some speculation that it might disable the traction control. I can put up with an alarm for a few months to save $500

Suncoast has the sensor and valve stem. I assume both are required.

·
Registered
16 Posts
SGUTZ where did you get your quote. I have the 20" spyder's also and would like 19's for winter. Assuming my trade in is not worth going with the dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Beware...once Simply Tire gets crazy busy in the fall, their service is terrible. I spent 11 hours and 3 trips there trying to get a set of winter wheels for my DD. And all of this is because they "were too busy with other customers" to keep trying to repair the brand new wheel that I bought that had a bad inner sealing surface and went flat overnight. They sent me home with a loaner wheel and then I had to return a few days later only to find that the new wheel they got me had been dropped and had a flat spot on the rim...which their installer didn't notice - it was 3 inches long!!! 4 hours later I left with a different set of wheels all-together. I'll be buying from Tire Rack next time and save myself the aggravation.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Tires23 is the best in the gta I have found. They are huge and can service a hundred cars a day. Not a scratch on any rims they have put winters on for me.

I'm going OZ. I have used three sets in the past. Medium priced and lightweight, with a durable paint finish, and spoke design vs. mesh.

Dakars are made for SUVs.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
My dad has a set of OZ (Forumla HLT) for his MB last year from Simply. They are very light but he curbed 2 of the wheels already. I do like OZ but just want something different.

Thus far, I have researched Avant Garde (low pressure cast) and Forgestar (rotary forged flow form). Just waiting for wheel shop to do the price quoting so I can give you guys some idea.

For example, AG M580 (which I like) - 19 inch set - $1800 + taxes. @JMacan911 also quoted a set of AG M310 - M510 - M368 - M350 - M359 - 18" $1100 + taxes ; 19" $1280 + taxes. Therefore, once Simply's owner come back and work out his group discount/early bird package deal buy, then there should be some price incentive coming.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SGUTZ where did you get your quote. I have the 20" spyder's also and would like 19's for winter. Assuming my trade in is not worth going with the dealer.
This was from Frisby Tire on Queendale Ave in the south end just off Bank. Not sure if you're in the south end or not, but they seem to have the best price.

I'm probably going to order tpms sensors and valve stems from Suncoast and go with them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Guys,

Sorry, been a bit distracted with unimportant things lately and haven't been able to get on the forum.

This is the response I received a week or so ago with respect to a group buy from SimplyTire via Allen. Thanks @bobblehead for touching base!

"Hey Tim,

I'm still working on it. Groupbuy is happening no matter what. I run about 5 separate ones until mid November, so that is a given.

I'm in the process of updating 182 pages of pricing. "

Therefore, stay tuned on the group buy - he's going going to put something together.

right now, he's thinking:

"I have to build something for the Macan. I'm working on it. Give me a few
days

I brought in BBS SR wheels for it, non staggered"

likely 18"s - and also following up about TPMS.

Personally i'm looking for the package with blizzaks.

Acting for @TimD, just got email back from Simply Tire. Owner, Allen is on vacation and will be back in early Sep and he will then need a week to get organize and to sort out what wheels & tires out there will fit our Macan (besides the ones found in TireRack)

For now, typically, Simply Tire will refer whatever you see in Tirerack as the main reference as they also buy directly wheels from TireRack @ their wholesale prices.

Note: I bought from Simply just last year (for my Dad's MB) and their prices were generally competitive to the other local shops.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts