Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will premise that this mod is something anyone living in a cold climate has done, but in the Macan I never thought I would be doing this because of the all the thermal management which is quite good.

So with the Thermal Management everything works quite well for short (less than 15km drives to and from work) for temperatures down to around -20C. Again I find myself throwing a bunch of codes for who knows what except they always go away when it warms up to around -15C and its ok again.

It's now consistently -25C to -35C for a couple of days and no reprieve until Monday. With the codes, I get from anywhere from 3 to 5 depending on the Macan's mood. So after avoiding it, I finally installed a cardboard cover for the 3" air duct below the larger opening with the louvres.

Before in -25C after my drive to work my oil would only get up to 70-75C and now with the ghetto cover I am getting above 90C which is where the engine is happy to begin freezing.

In all the time my wife has been driving (20kms + to work) she has never thrown the Christmas Lights on her Macan, so I added her cardboard mod today because it's going to be -36C tonight and then -39C tomorrow night.

The mod is free except time unless you don't have a 46" long x 3" high piece of cardboard and 2 long zip ties.

My theory is that the oil takes in a bunch of moisture that needs to boil off so it doesn't condense in the intake manifold and freeze to parts with sensors.

After this I'm seriously considering a 250W Polar Pad on the oil pan. A coworker had the dealer install it on his Panamera and it works really well for him.

I really can't wait for warmer weather.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Vrei, don't know where you are in Canada, but we've got lower temps and though it's warmed up a bit, I had -38F driving back from Anchorage and it's supposed to dip below -40 Sunday for what for us is normal winter weather. I've not experienced any dash lights from cold yet, though I did specify Mobil 1 0-40w. The dealer did put some "winter rated" windshield washer fluid which of course froze in the lines (never hit the window) so I'm busy draining all that and actually installing adequate fluid.

VDub, and I assume Porsche no doubt, do not recommend either engine heater blocks (risk of fire), the battery pads are irrelevant given location, as for tranny and oil pads they also don't recommend it. Unless you judiciously use it (meaning don't turn it on overnight) all you're doing is boiling your oil and fluid whilst increasing your electric bill. VDub guarantees to -50F and I've personally gone out to dinner a couple of years ago parking the car for a couple of hours by -53F with no issues and no plug ins or cardboard. This on a 2008 V6 FSI Touareg.

Anecdotally, the only issue I had with cold was a manufacturing defect that took me 3 months to convince VDub which caused a binding in the variable intake motors on the V8. The intake manifold used to shrink ever so slightly by -20F and below causing a CEL etc. After the second replacement of the motors (and two 800 + mile trips) they owned up and replaced the manifold. No problems since.

Perhaps there's another issue here as the temperatures you're facing aren't extreme and shouldn't cause a problem. Time to take it in and have it checked?

I'm assuming your cardboard is installed in front of the intercoolers? Stay warm

siberian

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hi Vrei, don't know where you are in Canada, but we've got lower temps and though it's warmed up a bit, I had -38F driving back from Anchorage and it's supposed to dip below -40 Sunday for what for us is normal winter weather. I've not experienced any dash lights from cold yet, though I did specify Mobil 1 0-40w. The dealer did put some "winter rated" windshield washer fluid which of course froze in the lines (never hit the window) so I'm busy draining all that and actually installing adequate fluid.

VDub, and I assume Porsche no doubt, do not recommend either engine heater blocks (risk of fire), the battery pads are irrelevant given location, as for tranny and oil pads they also don't recommend it. Unless you judiciously use it (meaning don't turn it on overnight) all you're doing is boiling your oil and fluid whilst increasing your electric bill. VDub guarantees to -50F and I've personally gone out to dinner a couple of years ago parking the car for a couple of hours by -53F with no issues and no plug ins or cardboard. This on a 2008 V6 FSI Touareg.

Anecdotally, the only issue I had with cold was a manufacturing defect that took me 3 months to convince VDub which caused a binding in the variable intake motors on the V8. The intake manifold used to shrink ever so slightly by -20F and below causing a CEL etc. After the second replacement of the motors (and two 800 + mile trips) they owned up and replaced the manifold. No problems since.

Perhaps there's another issue here as the temperatures you're facing aren't extreme and shouldn't cause a problem. Time to take it in and have it checked?

I'm assuming your cardboard is installed in front of the intercoolers? Stay warm

siberian
Research this:
It turns out that if you don't use the right recipe you can trash your headlight covers. Maybe your new car doesn't have the light washers like the old ones do.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No I don't live in Sweden :cool: so I don't have the washers. I do have the rear camera squirter which has been frozen since the genius at the dealer topped off the washer reservoir.
The location of that camera is useless.

My experience so far with the dealer is they couldn't organize a party in a brewery, alas this is far from the only ball dropping they've done. Buy "local" isn't always smart.

siberian

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

siberian
The cardboard doesn't cover the intercoolers. It is just the spot below where the thermal louvres are located. Intercoolers don't direct the air over the oil pan along the bottom like that front flow. Covering those won't do much since I rarely get into the boost on our icy roads.

The heater I'm looking at is the silicon pad that adheres to the oil pan. I would only use them when below -20C. Our plugs at work are on a timer based on outside temperature and they don't even turn on until -10C.

I used this previously on a BMW diesel and it worked well.

As this is our 3rd of 4th Macan I can say that 3 of the 4 have thrown the codes during a cold start and the 2nd Macan needed a new motor installed after a -36C cold start due to metal filings jamming up the low/hi cam pin. After I got the new motor it threw codes again the next winter and I got a new throttle body. Once all that stuff was fixed, everything was good and my wife took that one over. This one I have now (3rd) has thrown them predictably and I have an appointment for some fixing. My wife's Macan (4th) just this week started to throw the codes, so when I get mine fixed, then I break the news about her Macan.
These are awesome cars to drive, but throwing these codes is truly annoying.

Generally what happens is the car starts completely fine in the cold weather and runs for a couple of minutes and once the enrichment lowers to a steady idle, it trips about 3-5 codes removing power, AWD, PSM, Start/ Stop, and PAS. Whether it does it or not I assume has to do with luck as it did it today at -24C and yesterday it did not at -32C. So who knows.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The cardboard doesn't cover the intercoolers. It is just the spot below where the thermal louvres are located. Intercoolers don't direct the air over the oil pan along the bottom like that front flow. Covering those won't do much since I rarely get into the boost on our icy roads.

The heater I'm looking at is the silicon pad that adheres to the oil pan. I would only use them when below -20C. Our plugs at work are on a timer based on outside temperature and they don't even turn on until -10C.

I used this previously on a BMW diesel and it worked well.

As this is our 3rd of 4th Macan I can say that 3 of the 4 have thrown the codes during a cold start and the 2nd Macan needed a new motor installed after a -36C cold start due to metal filings jamming up the low/hi cam pin. After I got the new motor it threw codes again the next winter and I got a new throttle body. Once all that stuff was fixed, everything was good and my wife took that one over. This one I have now (3rd) has thrown them predictably and I have an appointment for some fixing. My wife's Macan (4th) just this week started to throw the codes, so when I get mine fixed, then I break the news about her Macan.
These are awesome cars to drive, but throwing these codes is truly annoying.

Generally what happens is the car starts completely fine in the cold weather and runs for a couple of minutes and once the enrichment lowers to a steady idle, it trips about 3-5 codes removing power, AWD, PSM, Start/ Stop, and PAS. Whether it does it or not I assume has to do with luck as it did it today at -24C and yesterday it did not at -32C. So who knows.
I am surprised you had 3 Macans having issues in the winter. My Macan is 5 years old. I live in MN where it is very common to get temperatures of -25C and below for many days in a row. I have many pictures of the dashboard temperature showing -32C to -35C not counting the windchill which can get to -55C. I never had a single issue turning my car on at those temperatures. Many times the oil temperature showing when I start the car is below 0C.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wasn't clear on where exactly you placed the cardboard and of course the intercoolers don't route air to the oil pan. Still I'm puzzled by your mishaps as we have temps well below that. And you have 0-40 synthetic oil in there?

What you describe are called head posts here in Alaska where you plug in your engine block recirculator/battery pad and oil pan blanket/heater. We moved our parking spaces at work as a car caught fire from an engine block heater malfunction.

Personally, we've never used them, never needed them (OK so they're VDub not Porsches) but none in 12 years we've been up here have had the slightest problem other than the bad intake manifold on the V8 which was a different issue.

Hope the plug in will work for you!

siberian

temp.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starting is not the problem, it always starts and runs. It just throws the codes sometime after running. It could possibly be from being outside during the day and in the garage during the evening.

Will probably get a different throttle body as this was what replaced on #2 and the codes never came back.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think is pretty awesome to have temperatures that get down to -50C. Makes our -38C look like nothing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Normally would suggest that you check that your grill louvers were opening correctly.
But as this is your fourth car and 3rd with this problem, if the cardboard work. Neat-oh.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I wasn't clear on where exactly you placed the cardboard and of course the intercoolers don't route air to the oil pan. Still I'm puzzled by your mishaps as we have temps well below that. And you have 0-40 synthetic oil in there?

What you describe are called head posts here in Alaska where you plug in your engine block recirculator/battery pad and oil pan blanket/heater. We moved our parking spaces at work as a car caught fire from an engine block heater malfunction.

Personally, we've never used them, never needed them (OK so they're VDub not Porsches) but none in 12 years we've been up here have had the slightest problem other than the bad intake manifold on the V8 which was a different issue.

Hope the plug in will work for you!

siberian

View attachment 228704
....Dear God man....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
That is NOT how cold it was, that's how low the thermometer was able to sink to.

It was a 5 dog night indeed, all dogs were in the house to cut the heating bill 🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾, though two of them howled to get back out to their condos so it was in the end a Three Dog Night!

siberian

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I got my car back on Thursday. The current throttle body is the current latest and correct one. They removed it for inspection and found a big chunk of ice frozen to the inside with some light residue. The throttle plate catches on the ice and then throws the code.

After some discussion with a buddy of mine who drive truck up north, I was mentioning this issue and he was saying the moisture from the garage could be condensing on the throttle body as soon as the cold air hits the metal throttle body and then freezes. Could explain why my wife generally doesn't have any issues. She backs her car in and she also opens the garage door before starting so she wouldn't get the moist air. The only time this changes is when I drive her car.

I park nose in and I start the car and then hit the garage door opener. So it is possible my procedure is messing things up. Now I need some cold weather to try it out. With the current forecast there is nothing really cold for any two week forecast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts