Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a rock hit my windshield driving on the highway. It hit the left, driver's side edge and then a hairline crack grew to about 1.5 ft. I'm 95% sure the windshield needs to be replaced. My dealership is quoting $1350, but I have Geico for insurance and they are stating that they'll cover less roughly half that amount. Their default repair shop is Safelite, which I'm hearing horror stories about. So, I'm looking for an alternative. Any leads or thoughts on making sure this repair doesn't turn into a nightmare? Thanks!

·
Registered
690 Posts
First thing I would do is check your Geico policy to see if there is any provision that would limit how much they'll pay for a windshield replacement. Also if there is any restriction as to where you can take your Macan to get it replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I would do is check your Geico policy to see if there is any provision that would limit how much they'll pay for a windshield replacement. Also if there is any restriction as to where you can take your Macan to get it replaced.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not seeing a provision in the actual policy, but they are quoting me several limitations when I talk to the claims department. No restrictions on where it can be taken though.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not seeing a provision in the actual policy, but they are quoting me several limitations when I talk to the claims department. No restrictions on where it can be taken though.
See if you can find those limitations or have them point to where they are in your policy...suggest not just taking their word for it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Replaced my windshield about a month ago for $550. It is an aftermarket windshield. I think OEM was $750. They told I wouldn't know the difference and they were right.

·
Super Moderator
2,353 Posts
Safelite replaced a windshield in my wife's previous ride (a BMW) - no issues whatsoever.

I watched the guy do it. It was fairly involved and he seemed to know exactly what he was doing.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Hi, a rock hit my windshield driving on the highway. It hit the left, driver's side edge and then a hairline crack grew to about 1.5 ft. I'm 95% sure the windshield needs to be replaced. My dealership is quoting $1350, but I have Geico for insurance and they are stating that they'll cover less roughly half that amount. Their default repair shop is Safelite, which I'm hearing horror stories about. So, I'm looking for an alternative. Any leads or thoughts on making sure this repair doesn't turn into a nightmare? Thanks!
1) Welcome to the forum.

2) Two years ago, I started a thread, reporting on my experience here in NY State:

This is slightly different, I gather, from your case, because it involves the thermal glass option I have, as opposed to the default windshield. However, you may find the thread useful.

In that first post, I include a couple of forum links to threads (which I had nothing to do with) that discuss Safelite, among other things, and some bad experiences with the glass, with sensor wires, and so forth. My auto insurance is with Safeco, and they, in turn, use Safelite for glass coverage ... by default. However, as I noted, I specifically asked for OEM glass to be installed, and Safelite approved my request to use someone else, no problem.

3) As noted later in that thread, I have zero deductible for glass replacement. I don't know whether that's mandated in NY, or other states, or the default for Safeco (and note that such coverage does not, for me, entail, a separate charge), or what. So check your policy.

In any event, I am surprised, puzzled, etc., that Geico -- or any insurance company -- is limiting what they will pay. I mean, I thought that's what insurance is for, and that an insurance company will cover the full amount of any repair to a car, minus the particular deductible in a given policy (and assuming that the car is not considered totaled). What am I missing here?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a similar rock experience on my windshield. I have The Hartford insurance and had Safelite do the replacement. It cost me nothing and Safelite did a perfect job. No complaints.

·
Premium Member
2021 Macan GTS (scheduled to arrive the 2nd week of December)
67 Posts
I also have Safeco and have had Safelite replace a couple of windshields in vehicles. They have an agreement with Safeco, that if you pay your deductible, the cost of replacement is covered at 100%. They came to my office and replaced right in the parking lot.
Jamie

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I’ve had Safelite replace two windshields, one of which was a $400 aftermarket piece on my 2009 Carrera C2. Quality of the glass and installation both excellent.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Safelite replaced my windshield but they did it at the Porsche dealership using Porsche glass . . . and I had to have the lane sensor recalibrated. USAA covered everything.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Safelite replaced my windshield but they did it at the Porsche dealership using Porsche glass . . . and I had to have the lane sensor recalibrated. USAA covered everything.
As long as we're here, what do you mean by "lane sensor"? Is that part of the LCA? LDW? LKA? Something else?

I'm just curious, in general. And also curious in particular, because after my thermal glass replacement two years ago -- at a top-end indie shop, using OEM glass (delivered to the P-car dealership, and picked up from there by the glass shop) -- my car did not have to go back to the dealership, and there was no indication that I recall that the indie shop did any sensor calibration work. And everything seems to work fine on the car.

So, what sensors look through the glass? Am I correct that there are no sensors actually embedded in the glass? I would've thought that anything to do with lane sensoring would be the bumper area, but of course I've been wrong before.

Educate me on this, please.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
As long as we're here, what do you mean by "lane sensor"? Is that part of the LCA? LDW? LKA? Something else?

I'm just curious, in general. And also curious in particular, because after my thermal glass replacement two years ago -- at a top-end indie shop, using OEM glass (delivered to the P-car dealership, and picked up from there by the glass shop) -- my car did not have to go back to the dealership, and there was no indication that I recall that the indie shop did any sensor calibration work. And everything seems to work fine on the car.

So, what sensors look through the glass? Am I correct that there are no sensors actually embedded in the glass? I would've thought that anything to do with lane sensoring would be the bumper area, but of course I've been wrong before.

Educate me on this, please.
You are correct. There are no sensors imbedded in the glass. However, my car has a sensor behind the glass and over the rear view mirror. Porsche calls it "Lane Change Assist With Turn Assist" or "Lane Keep Assist". I believe that it is attached to the glass and goes out of adjustment when the glass is removed. That is pure speculation on my part. However, according to Porsche if you change your windscreen you have to that recalibrated. In fact, Safelite told me that they could replace my windshield but they couldn't recalibrate it. They said that Porsche would have to do that.

These sensors are not the ones in the bumper. I believe that the sensors are a form of radar that turns as you turn your front wheels.

This probably explains things better than I can - Windshield Replacement Calibration with ADAS: What You Need to Know | Glass.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts