Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search on the forum but couldn't find another thread on this (if I did miss a thread on this topic, can someone kindly link me up to it thx)

I've had my Macan S for about 10 months now and notice the aluminum trim around the windows appears to be possibly oxidizing. Even the roof rails are turning color a bit as well. It is starting to turn a bit cloudy and it won't wipe off. When I wash the car, the last rinse is always a spot free rinse and then toweled dry right away. Anyone else have this issue and are there any solutions to its removal? Searching online, there is mention of some hit and miss methods but nothing seems to offer consistent results.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
912 Posts
Post some photos. I've got black trim, no issues after 50k miles and 2 years.

Have you tried clay barring it's?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you live by the water?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Black trim, no problem. Silver trim, problem. I had the same problem with my 13 Touareg, silver trim started to tarnish. Vw and dealer said "sorry". I wound up having a local detail shop black out the trim with a special tape. I haven't had a problem with the roof rails yet.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not live near water......live in the prairies.

Sorry to take so long getting pics of the problem. Macan is going into the dealership next week to replace the plastic B pillars, I will ask then if they know of a solution.

Macan Trim 1 (Small).jpg

Macan Trim 2 (Small).jpg

Reactions: L_K

·
Registered
601 Posts
@2thguy that almost looks like a chemical reaction thing from what I could tell on my iPhone screen. Could what you use to clean the vehicle be at issue? Maybe also hard water, but I don't think your water up there is as hard as Estevan or Swift Current. I'd be interested to hear what the dealership tells you.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Sorry to take so long getting pics of the problem. Macan is going into the dealership next week to replace the plastic B pillars, I will ask then if they know of a solution.

View attachment 146569

View attachment 146577
We had same issue with our BMW 535 that came from Florida, the dealership was able to polish it out to new condition. I think Flitz would do the job if you have the patience and strength to apply and polish it out. It is a hassle but Flitz is an amazing product.

·
Registered
40 Posts

View attachment 146569

View attachment 146577
I have had my Macan Diesel since July 2015 and in the last 3 months I have noticed the same issue, exactly as your second photo. I live in the centre of France miles from the sea. I have found that rubbing hard, using a chamois leather, gets rid of it temporarily but it comes back.
I think there is definitely an issue.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
FWIW, I've had mine for 1 yr. & my chrome trim looks shiny & new. I do not take car to car washes. I wash it myself. Look through the detailing forum & see which products MF people are using to wash, clay, wax or seal.
If you can get the trim cleaned/restored maybe a sealant will help prevent reoccurrence of this problem?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@2thguy that almost looks like a chemical reaction thing from what I could tell on my iPhone screen. Could what you use to clean the vehicle be at issue? Maybe also hard water, but I don't think your water up there is as hard as Estevan or Swift Current. I'd be interested to hear what the dealership tells you.
Cleaning process is spray at car wash with warm water to remove most everything, bit of soap dripped on car from brush (brush never touches car). Microfiber mitt, then rinse off soap. Final spot free rinse, drive outside and immediately towel down the entire car so no water from the wash ever sits on the car. See what dealership says Monday next week. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You go to one of those self car wash machine. If so the problem is the car wash soap or rinse agent that they use in the self car wash machine you go to.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You go to one of those self car wash machine. If so the problem is the car wash soap or rinse agent that they use in the self car wash machine you go to.
Could very well be. I have used that car wash for years and none of my other vehicles has this issue with chrome/aluminum trims but maybe Porsche materials are different.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I showed the after sales advisor the trim and he hasn't seen any other Macans with this problem. He put in a ticket to Porsche to ask about it and received this reply.

"I have reviewed this with my colleagues at PAG and no other similar cases have occured. This abrasion seems to be the cause of cleaning products. Damage caused by external influence are not covered by warranty."

So I am baffled. First off, its not an abrasion, more of a corrosion although the surface is still smooth with the same original smoothness. As for possible detailing products, as I stated, its hand washed and rinsed, spot free rinse and then toweled off. Unless there is something in the soap at the car wash, I cant for the life of me think of what else caused it. The advisor is wanting to send the Macan to their detail center to see if there is something they can do to restore it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Porsche has to actually physically look at the car. Best if you are there when they do. It does sound like a manufacturing defect but without in person inspection, there's no way to know. BTW....never take "we've never heard of this before" as an answer to anything. 99% of the time, it's just thrown out as a fact with nothing behind it....and most likely Porsche has heard of a similar issue many times.

Oxidation and chemical reactions aren't supposed to happen on a car. Some states in the US have laws that products must be built to suit the environment they are sold to be in. Don't know about Canada laws...but the first step is to get a Porsche Corporation person's eyes on the problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I was talking to an SA at my dealership last week, looking at a new black Macan Turbo, and voiced my disdain for the chrome window trim, and my strong preference for the gloss black trim." He said, "that's good, because we've had trouble with oxidation on the chrome window trim."

·
Registered
93 Posts
I believe this, and in my research I found others reporting the same thing on chrome trim. I was torn between black and chrome and went with the black trim due to reading similar stories of corrosion.

Someone probably poured some Tim Horton's coffee in the drain at that car wash, they all recycle the water in those washes. (I joke, I drink the stuff when I am up there, but there is something different about it).

Hope you can get it polished out, and find something to put on it to prevent oxidation.

I was talking to an SA at my dealership last week, looking at a new black Macan Turbo, and voiced my disdain for the chrome window trim, and my strong preference for the gloss black trim." He said, "that's good, because we've had trouble with oxidation on the chrome window trim."

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Although I'm sure your Macan is still great fun to drive, I'm sorry this is happening, @2thguy, and I hope some combination of restoring and sealing it might provide the magic fix. Meanwhile, not long after I read your posting, I bumped into this presumably unrelated thread: Tiny Bacteria Are Eating America's Fighter Jets That got me wondering if any these concerns (especially "environmentally friendly finishes"?) are at work on your trim. Our cars are exposed to so many pollutants in their daily adventures ... it doesn't seem likely that your careful hand-washing or toweling are the problem. Good luck!

Reactions: 2thguy

·
Registered
75 Posts

View attachment 146569

View attachment 146577
@2thguy Why did you have to replace the plastic B pillars? I had to get mine replaced too because they cracked.

I had two Audi's through the years where the chrome trim did exactly as you say. I always thought that there was something about the water here in Saskatoon.

The chrome trim on the Macan held up just fine but I wound up getting them vinyl wrapped in Matte black just to change it up a bit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts