Porsche Macan Forum banner

Within 30 days of being legally able to or guidance, I will NOT:

• 1. attend an outdoor sporting event (e.g., HS baseball game)

Votes: 75 73.5%
  • 2. attend an indoor sporting event (e.g., NBA or College basketball game)

Votes: 88 86.3%
  • 3. attend or host an informal social gathering (e.g. party or outdoor BBQ)

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • 4. attend or host a formal social gathering (e.g., wedding)

Votes: 70 68.6%
  • 5. attend a formal public gathering (e.g., 4th of July event)

Votes: 83 81.4%
  • 6. eat in a sit down restaurant or visit a bar

Votes: 59 57.8%
  • 7. go to a movie, theater, or concert (other than a drive-in)

Votes: 80 78.4%
  • 8. take my car for any kind of non-emergency service

Votes: 23 22.5%
  • 9. have any kind of non-emergency service done inside my house, apartment, etc.

• 10. go to any kind of non-emergency medical appointment (e.g., routine physical, dental cleaning)

• 11. physically perform non-essential shopping (e.g., physically shop for luxuries, new clothes)

Votes: 46 45.1%
  • 12. go to a public park, beach, town square, etc.

Votes: 30 29.4%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 1287 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
We get it. You HATE Tr**p.
huh ? :unsure: I never said this .

I have never seen ANY politician who I'd agree with everything he (or she) suggests but for some reason the moment one points at ANYTHING he disagrees with then he faces this type of ridiculous accusation . This is precisely why I think some people are pretending to agree with this nonsense of a startup with a virus. They are not really ready to go to a stadium. Look no further than the votes on this thread ,

BTW .. not everyone in his party agrees with this route either . It's hard to imagine that everyone on his team agrees with him.

Disagreement on one aspect of a plan or method does not mean "hate" .

There is one point to note .. he's trying to win an election and if you think those press conferences are securing a victory I guess in November we'll find out (unless we get too ill).

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Does it really matter if one gets sick and dies from " kitchen work" vs "entertainment" ? Does the semantics matter when its game over ? And if that one worker in the house has the virus is repeated exposure to one infected person going to be any less detrimental and a one time exposure to a crowd ? What good is a new kitchen going to do to the person who might not to eat in it ? Doesnt every business entity want to get back to work with all the unfilled contracts ?

The first confirmed case of Covid 19 in China was documented as Nov.17 . The first US case was Jan 8. Look where we are now . There was no vaccine then and none now. There was no formal treatment or now .

Do you still want everyone back at work ? Define "controlled environment" . Are we not doing so now ?
I did not and have never said I want everyone to go back to work. A controlled environment is where you have reasonable assurance that it's COVID-19 free. When you're healthy, don't have any symptom, and have been observing social distancing and staying in place. Or when people can be tested. I'm NOT discussing semantics of work vs entertainment here, just necessities. COVID-19 is here to stay, and it will be quite sometime before we can find a vaccine or effective treatments or even widespread testing so what do you do? When can people go back to work? We're now doing all we can to slow the spread but we also need to set plans for reopening business in a case-based intervention. In my case with a kitchen remodeling, I'm certain my kitchen contractor (a father and son crew) is a very responsible person who is doing the same thing I have been doing and will not start the work unless guidelines are followed.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I did not and have never said I want everyone to go back to work. A controlled environment is where you have reasonable assurance that it's COVID-19 free. When you're healthy, don't have any symptom, and have been observing social distancing and staying in place. Or when people can be tested. I'm NOT discussing semantics of work vs entertainment here, just necessities. COVID-19 is here to stay, and it will be quite sometime before we can find a vaccine or effective treatments or even widespread testing so what do you do? When can people go back to work? We're now doing all we can to slow the spread but we also need to set plans for reopening business in a case-based intervention. In my case with a kitchen remodeling, I'm certain my kitchen contractor (a father and son crew) is a very responsible person who is doing the same thing I have been doing and will not start the work unless guidelines are followed.
We are on the same page then and I misinterpreted . It sounds like you are in somewhat of a bind as you want the kitchen done , trust that they are being safe , and ready to take the added risk of allowing another person , I think ideally all of you wish this was done under better circumstances . Good luck !

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I would tell him to get a temporary job in an essential line of work . Publix is hiring and so is Petsmart . He could drive Uber . If he's a professional and this is too menial for his ability and education then he should have retained enough savings. If not then he ought to downsize to save his life . Many professional jobs are working remotely but the landscape is changing for everyone .
It's easy to say, but in actuality from Jan to April, about 20 million Americans lost their jobs. What jobs are there for these people? Uber? People are staying home! Savings? You have no idea how many people live paycheck to paycheck. Just look at the long lines of people waiting to get free food to understand the gravity of the situation.

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
It's easy to say, but in actuality from Jan to April, about 20 million Americans lost their jobs. What jobs are there for these people? Uber? People are staying home! Savings? You have no idea how many people live paycheck to paycheck. Just look at the long lines of people waiting to get free food to understand the gravity of the situation.
I understand the gravity of the situation and I weigh it against the alternative of having a ventilator pasted to the face. I never said things like Publix or Uber would be safe but they are needed . I feel the safe play is to move in temporarily with a family member or friend . Social media is likely to boom . So will those entering into the online adult entertainment industry (where they work from home) . People will do that they feel they need to do to survive.

I think first many will toast the credit card debt to buy time. In fact a couple has double the time to toast one card at a time . As of today many received stimulus checks .

There's no guarantee with many jobs which were secure pre virus . A startup may not even matter. People are just not eager to jump into the old way of life right now . These are different times .

I never said this was easy on anyone . Getting sick and dying isn't easy either.

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Social media is likely to boom . So will those entering into the online adult entertainment industry (where they work from home) . People will do that they feel they need to do to survive.

I think first many will toast the credit card debt to buy time. In fact a couple has double the time to toast one card at a time . As of today many received stimulus checks .
I don't think this is going to end the way a lot think it will. Some think its going to be an on/off switch. No. Others are going through the 5 stages of grief. The party kids were in denial. The protesters are in anger. Today many are in the bargaining stage.

The internet is not the solution. 26% of Americans do NOT own a computer. 67% of millennials don't have a credit card. Credit cards are for Gen X or baby boomers. 29% of Americans don't own smartphones. 6.5% don't have a bank account. 11.7% of GDP is predicted to be a cash business. How correct or incorrect these numbers might be isn't relevant. Whats relevant is that millions upon millions of Americans do not live in the same world as Porsche owners. Middle income households do not buy $70,000 or $130,000 new Porsches. They buy $25,000 Toyotas and used $20,000 Fords. These are the people who are protesting today, in the anger stage. They are the ones hurting the most. Next stage will be depression. There will be suicides. Thats easy to find. The inability to support one's family is a major problem. Acceptance won't be the last stage. Violence will be the last stage. IMO, its a matter of time, if the lockdowns continue.

Hence the protests today, the anger, and big pushback on the internet for those who actually own computers and have internet access.

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I never understood who has enough free time to protest (sometimes for days) . Whether its the right or left there's always some large group voicing themselves and they do have the right . However I think its a perfect opportunity to give them that platform by handing each of them who are eligible a Jury Pool summons.
:D Neither do I. Since forever, actually forever, not just the last 4 years, there have been protests in DC. They happen every day. Someone is always protesting. Maybe thats their job? I'm sure some are paid. Its the violent protest when the riots start you might want to worry about. But yeah, neither to do I. Don't they got to go to work some days?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If the present administration started preparing for the current pandemic earlier, let's say December 2019, especially since they were warned back in November 2019 by assorted U.S. officials of a potential corona virus problem in China (hence the "19" in COVID-19), by ensuring an ample supply of PPE, viable test kits, and testing sites were readily available to the States, the current amount of unemployed in America would be WAY less.

The problem is not only is this strain of corona virus "novel", the latest info out is a person is at their most infectious state when they are showing no symptoms (asymptomatic). Besides the obvious of having a vaccine or at least an effective treatment, testing is the only viable way we are getting America back to work anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
If the present administration started preparing for the current pandemic earlier, let's say December 2019, especially since they were warned back in November 2019 by assorted U.S. officials of a potential corona virus problem in China (hence the "19" in COVID-19), by ensuring an ample supply of PPE, viable test kits, and testing sites were readily available to the States, the current amount of unemployed in America would be WAY less.

The problem is not only is this strain of corona virus "novel", the latest info out is a person is at their most infectious state when they are showing no symptoms (asymptomatic). Besides the obvious of having a vaccine or at least an effective treatment, testing is the only viable way we are getting America back to work anytime soon.
Maybe some of the articles below help understand why it took too long for the US to get prepared. Remember that SARS and Ebola never made to the US. Last, don't forget that COVID-19 only killed 8 people in Beijing and 6 in Shanghai according to official statistics coming from China (Coronavirus (COVID-19) map). :rolleyes:

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
859 Posts

It’s easy to arm chair quarterback it on Monday.... we can all say “what if’s” on literally every decision we make every day. We all know it just doesn’t work that way in the real world. Some leaders and administrations are better at some things than others.

And for the record, I don’t care for the man in charge at all... much like Larry, I don’t like/trust either side. BUT, I do believe in people trying to do the best they can, given all the circumstances. Just because a decision doesn’t seem like it’s the best thing for ME, doesn’t mean I think they are trying to destroy or kill me. It is what it is. Life moves on... If it’s my time, then it’s my time. I’m not really worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
859 Posts
:D Neither do I. Since forever, actually forever, not just the last 4 years, there have been protests in DC. They happen every day. Someone is always protesting. Maybe thats their job? I'm sure some are paid. Its the violent protest when the riots start you might want to worry about. But yeah, neither to do I. Don't they got to go to work some days?
Too funny... my friends and I have said this our whole lives... “who the heck has time to protest?!... don’t any of these people work?!”....

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
If the present administration started preparing for the current pandemic earlier ... by ensuring an ample supply of PPE, viable test kits, and testing sites were readily available to the States, the current amount of unemployed in America would be WAY less.
AFAIK, that's not how it works. The federal government is not a giant warehouse to take care of the citizens of the states. States are responsible for their own citizens. Its explicitly stated in the 10th Amendment

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Find anything in the Constitution about the federal government providing medical supply to the states. The SNS is codified into law by 42 USC 247. Its a BACKUP to the states. Its not the primary source. It is incumbent upon each state to ensure its own supplies. You can read about it here, the Association State and Territorial Health Officials.

Read closely the part about how the SNS supplements, is not primary, to the states. If you want to blame people, start at the local levels. There is a reason the 10th amendment exists.

Your comment is a political talking point. Lets chill on that. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It's not the media calling for the press conference . They are showing up only to hear him boast or judge the question when he never had to offer the conference .
Yes, it is the media calling for press conferences. For a year they screamed "Where are the press conferences?" For example, 300 DAYS WITHOUT A PRESS CONFERENCE!

See this quote?

It’s a chance for the media, representing the public,
Why are they necessary if the public itself could ask the questions, no middle man needed. Is that the next step? An AMA?

Then they complain about the helicopters pressers :LOL:

Oh, per us. We don't have cushy seats :cry: You know how press conferences started? Teddy Roosevelt had newspapermen in while getting a daily shave and just talked to them. FDR did radio. JFK did TV. Clinton and Obama did late night TV. Today, Trump talks directly to the people. This has to make the press very upset. Press is no longer needed. Imagine Abe Lincoln being able to do that. What you see today is now normal. Time only goes forward.

The rest of his team are NOT doing this . Every member of his team stands at that podium with professionalism and it actually backs the media away from "gotcha" questioning.
Oh, they get upset. But their job is different. Their entire lives means they needed to have some kind of bedside manner.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Some leaders and administrations are better at some things than others.
You got that right! This current administration has failed on the corona virus pandemic miserably. First it was cuts made to the pandemic response office, now they want to withhold WHO contributions and make that organization the scapegoat for the administrations failures....

"The pandemic-response office was created in order to give the issue high-level attention. Trump’s team downgraded the office because they thought it needed less attention. In a world of limited resources, you have to pick and choose, and they chose issues other than pandemic response."

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would tell him to get a temporary job in an essential line of work . Publix is hiring and so is Petsmart . He could drive Uber . If he's a professional and this is too menial for his ability and education then he should have retained enough savings. If not then he ought to downsize to save his life . Many professional jobs are working remotely but the landscape is changing for everyone .
Out of touch much?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, I don't ever go to sporting events anyway. But I will do all the rest. The only difference is being more diligent about washing hands and hand sanitizer. (Already did those things fairly often anyway, but more so now.) The overreaction (and living like a hermit or semi-hermit) is worse than the virus itself...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The overreaction (and living like a hermit or semi-hermit) is worse than the virus itself...
Try telling that to the all the COVID-19 inflicted, as well as the elderly from retirement and nursing homes currently on respirators dying....

·
Super Moderator
8,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
You got that right! This current administration has failed on the corona virus pandemic miserably. First it was cuts made to the pandemic response office, now they want to withhold WHO contributions and make that organization the scapegoat for the administrations failures....

"The pandemic-response office was created in order to give the issue high-level attention. Trump’s team downgraded the office because they thought it needed less attention. In a world of limited resources, you have to pick and choose, and they chose issues other than pandemic response."

You were already warned a few minutes ago about political talking points.

and the former head of that office rebuttal

No, the White House didn’t ‘dissolve’ its pandemic response office

You can choose to read them or not. You can choose to only read one side of the discussion or not. Offices come and go. It was new in 2015 and now merged, downsizing the NSC.

I expect in the upcoming months more of this will happen, back and forth, one side vs the other side, each side attacking the other. And the press can do this forever. Your article is democratic talking points, again.

That's enough. There won't be a third time.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Out of touch much?

We have a very different focus . I prioritize the public health crisis above the economic one and there are those who see the urgency of the economic crisis as the priority .
So far no one has been evicted . The courts are not even open. sheriffs answering calls to throw anyone out on the street . There are food banks . There is the stimulus chedcjk arrival. Many paycheck to paycheck people DO have valid credit cards . They also have family members or friends who might be working. Crime is actually down. Crime Rates Plummet Around the World as the Coronavirus Keeps People Inside

Yet people ARE dying,. A month ago we had "14 cases" and the problem was resolved "airtight" . Now we have over 600 confirmed cases and 30 thousand deaths in the US .

Compare paragraph 1 and 2 above.

I believe its thinking like yours which might cause the health crisis to skyrocket .

41 - 60 of 1287 Posts