Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really understanding Porsche's strategy with the Macan. When they released the Cayenne it became their best selling model, despite all the hate it got for looking like a joke and pretending to be more than an SUV. Cayenne's sales are actually STILL doing well, with steady increase and record sales practically fueled by Cayenne. So why release a baby Cayenne? People aren't buying the Cayenne because its useful, they're buying it because it's a powerful SUV with a Porsche badge. The Macan is just a smaller Cayenne that is intended for buyers who find the Cayenne too big and fancy. Will releasing a smaller Cayenne attract new Porsche drivers, or will it just cause Porsche fanboys to look down on their brand even more?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I definitely think that there will be a market for the Macan. Not every family needs an entire SUV. Many families only have one or two kids, and none of them play hockey. People just want to take their kids to school, grocery shop, and take the occasional long trip somewhere. Most other Porsche cars do not offer this because they are little sporty convertibles and such. The Macan offers a more practical option that is not quite the size of the Cayenne. After all, if you didn't need the extra space, wouldn't you rather have a smaller version that costs a bit less?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But if you're getting an SUV for utility there are surely better and more affordable options than Porsche's Macan? I guess I'm turning into the Porsche enthusiast that believes they should stick to anything and everything to do with the 911, but what the **** is the point of a small Porsche SUV other than to show off the badge at your kid's hockey games.

·
Registered
247 Posts
But if you're getting an SUV for utility there are surely better and more affordable options than Porsche's Macan? I guess I'm turning into the Porsche enthusiast that believes they should stick to anything and everything to do with the 911, but what the **** is the point of a small Porsche SUV other than to show off the badge at your kid's hockey games.
from a business perspective this is a cash cow that funds the rest of your niche operations. Before Porsche came out with the Cayenne they were on the skids with a real threat of extinction looming. Vehicles like Cayenne, Panamera and Macan fund the R&D and the race programs that engineer the lovely qualities that make a 911, a 911.

So yea theres a bit of badge flashing but in the end if its those peoples dollars that fund the development of future 911s or Caymens then I have no issues what so ever :D:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
from a business perspective this is a cash cow that funds the rest of your niche operations. Before Porsche came out with the Cayenne they were on the skids with a real threat of extinction looming. Vehicles like Cayenne, Panamera and Macan fund the R&D and the race programs that engineer the lovely qualities that make a 911, a 911.

So yea theres a bit of badge flashing but in the end if its those peoples dollars that fund the development of future 911s or Caymens then I have no issues what so ever :D:D
Sometimes car companies can end up just doing the same thing as all the others when they attempt to make a high-volume model, but I think Porsche has done a good job of making something that it appealing to consumers, but still very Porsche. I am certain that I will see a lot of these driving around town after the release. Everyone and their mother has a Porsche in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It sure did attract me.
My wife wanted a car that is sporty but with some utility before she gets stuck with a big SUV once we get a baby.

I was looking at the new X5 then this Macan came out. It is at similar price range and obviously Porsche delivers more performance and BMW delivers more room and options.
Once I showed her red interior in Macan, she was sold. She's not into the cars and didn't like Q5/X3 because they were too small but she doesn't mind the small room in Macan because it fills her desire to drive a sports car in compact SUV form!

·
Registered
383 Posts
the reason non sports car porsches have sold so well (eg, cayenne, panny, and now most likely macan) is because 1. the porsche brand embodies and elicits such a powerful sense of pure and purposeful engineering image stemming from its SPORTS CARS, and 2. they very carefully and cleverly market and bring cars to other NON SPORTS CARS segments that are COMPATIBLE with this brand image. for example a porsche minivan would never come to fruition in this sense. in other words we are being fooled into believing porsches slogan of "we make a true sports car in each segment", because it doesnt really exist! its all marketing strategy. even if we realized this after waking up one day from our porsche dream, we have to think to ourselves: do we even have an alternative? thats why we shell out $$$ for something that costs so much more than anything else in its segment. is being able to be a part of that "dream" worth the extra $$$? its everyones own judgement call ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am the only one buying the vehicle because it is meant to be good?

For all i care, it could have a Fiat badge on it and i'd buy, provided it drives nothing like a Cayenne.

The problem is that there is no premium compact 'SUV' for people who don't go offroad, atleast in the Australian market. I test drove the Evoque (way too stiff), X3 (way to boring), SQ5 (still drives like an SUV), XC60 (too big), CX5 (not fast enough).

My other half wants a SUV for the height, we will never go off road. I could either buy something terrible just for her and end up driving it all the time anyway because of luggage space / kids or you could buy an SUV that doesn't pretend to go offroad but still satisfies the higher driving position.

I'm waiting for my test drive (June in Aus) but if it truly drives like a tall cayman, than in my mind its in a class of one, regardless of the badge.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Who is attracted is an interesting question. What I noticed with the Cayenne was that it was often a second Porsche amongst the local PCA owners. Mine will be for me too, although my Toy left the factory a couple of decades ago, so Porsche probably considers me a 'new conquest'.

In any case, I think that Porsche has taken a reasonable direction for a higher volume product, particularly since it aligned with market interests in SUVs. For me, it was closer to what I was looking for in a Daily Driver. Of course for me personally, it still isn't a "perfect" fir for what I wanted: in simple terms, I wanted a 2014 vintage 944 hatchback (with stick)...but no German manufacturer sells such a product today in my market (USA), so compromises are required. Maybe if Porsche had come out first with a Panamera Jr...and as a hatchback like its sire?...then I'd been content with that instead.

-hh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Macan is much cheaper than Cayenne. For the same 0 - 60 mph performance in Macan S, you should buy Cayenne GTS which is $ 83,000 !, and if you even want to buy Cayenne S with CDR+ audio system (which is standard in Macan S), you should pay $ 70,000. Compare it to $ 50,000 Macan S and you will understand the Porsche strategy !

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it will attract new buyers because of the price entry point. A Macan S is just slightly more expensive that a X3/X4 (M-Sports model). So if you are in a market for similar class, then Porsche will now be in the discussion. But the Macan Turbo is another thing. That is why the ration between the S and the turbo is high.

·
Registered
350 Posts
it's gonna attract a lot of urban surfers / kite surfers like me ... :) had the evoque before but this is another category. Never liked the looks of the cayenne and it's just too big

·
Registered
723 Posts
Switched me from getting X3 35i this Spring. It's the first car I've purchased in quite awhile that has no compromises (for me). Exactly the vehicle I "needed" at this time. Right looks, right performance, right size, and acceptable price. And only 63 days, 19 hours, 56 minutes to delivery. Time hasn't passed this slowly since I was 15 & waiting to get my drivers license.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
When My Wife and I saw the black Macan turbo at the Philly auto show,I knew I would order the S in silver. Good bye 2012 silver Lex RX,hello Macan S!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.