Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did Porsche name it's new compact utility vehicle the "Macan"? Where did the name come from and what does it mean?

Is the Porsche Macan going to be called anything else in other car markets or will it be the same world wide?

·
Registered
138 Posts
this is Porsche official story on the Macan name.....

Name for new Porsche SUV is Macan

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart’s new sports car in the SUV segment has been given the name Macan. The name Macan is derived from the Indonesian word for tiger and combines suppleness, power, fascination and dynamics – core characteristics of the new off-road car.

“The Macan combines all sports car characteristics with the benefits of a SUV and is a genuine Porsche”, said Bernhard Maier, Member of the Executive Board Sales and Marketing of Porsche AG. “The name of a new Porsche has to fit with the brand, sound good in very many languages and dialects and evoke positive associations.”
As the fifth Porsche model line, the Macan is a central plank of Strategy 2018, by which the sports car manufacturer wishes to expand its model portfolio. Porsche intends the Macan to emulate the success of the Cayenne. The SUV will start coming off the production lines in Leipzig in 2013. To that end, the site in this city in Saxony is being expanded into a fully-fledged production plant including body assembly line and paint shop – with 500 million euro of investment one of the biggest building projects in Porsche’s corporate history. In the medium-term, the sports car manufacturer will be creating more than 1,000 new jobs here.

Word names at Porsche have a concrete connection with the corresponding model and its characteristics: the name Boxster describes the combination of boxer engine and roadster, Cayenne stands for sharpness, the Cayman is snappy and agile and a Panamera is more than a Gran Turismo, capable also of winning the Carrera Panamericana long-distance race.

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Wrong and wrong. Ferdinand Porsche developed a tank for the Germans in WWII and named it the Tiger. He only made 50 or so of them.

Tiger I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tiger in Indonesian is Macan. Germany conquered The Netherlands who were then the colonial occupiers of Indonesia. It's basically a F-you to the Dutch. And who could blame him really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M
Lol! This is hilarious. I can get that the name might come from the Tiger tank. However I fail to see the connection to the Dutch East Indies. I doubt Porsche thinks that deeply when naming their cars. "A big F-you to the Dutch". I can't stop laughing.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
I hate that pajun too.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
I also heard that the next compact sedan will be called "Pajun", from the words, "panamera junior?" man I hope not...
@socal_macan Pajun is the internal code name of a vehicle they are working on and determining feasability. That is not the name it would be released as.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Wrong and wrong. Ferdinand Porsche developed a tank for the Germans in WWII and named it the Tiger. He only made 50 or so of them.

Tiger I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tiger in Indonesian is Macan. Germany conquered The Netherlands who were then the colonial occupiers of Indonesia. It's basically a F-you to the Dutch. And who could blame him really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M
@shaunmed So you are going to quote Wikipedia and Youtube as sources vs. Porsche's press release? That is an interesting stance to take.

Name for new Porsche SUV is Macan

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ferdinand particularly didn't care for the dutch boy. It was in his memoirs:

"no way did that kid plug up the dike with his finger..."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.