Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, wonderful people.

First off, Thanks everyone for contributing to this forum. The posts here have helped me a lot in making the final decision.

Why did I choose the 2.0 Liter?

When I decided to buy the Macan I had 2 choices:

1. A Macan S with standard options

or

2. A Macan Base with unlimited options

In Dubai, The Macan S comes with a a lot of options as standard (e.g. PASM, Air Suspension, and many other features. )

The base price for the Macan S is about $69,000 USD and the base price for the macan is about $51,000 USD. The difference is about a whopping $18,000 which is way more than the price difference in the USA.

This was a huge deal breaker for me. In Dubai, 90% of the roads are silky smooth and straight, and I didn't feel any necessity for the PASM or the Air Suspension here. I have no idea why they had these 2 options as the standard for the Macan S.

The price difference is the major factor for me to select the base macan. Music was also a major factor for me. I always had a good after market music systems in my previous cars (Honda city with MB Quartz and Kia with PHD) and the BOSE system I tested on the 2017 Macan GTS was sounding like crap (no offense to anyone) compared to my after market PHD system in my Kia. So I had to get the Burmester.

After considering all the factors, I decided to go with the option 2 (A Base Macan with all options).

Below are the options:

1. Macan 2.0 Liter Engine.
2. Sapphire Blue
3. 21" 911 Turbo Wheels with &Wheel centers with full-colour Porsche Crest
4.Black & Red two-tone leather interior package with partial leather seats
5. 14 Way seats with comfort memory package
6. Deletion of model designation
7. Park Assist with Surround View
8. Entry & Drive
9. Panoramic Roof
10. Sports Chrono Package
11. Sports tailpipes black
12. Lane Change Assist
13. Comfort lighting package
14. Adaptive cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
15. Floor mats
16. Mechanical roll-up sunblind for rear side windows
17. Smoking package
18. Piano Finish Black interior package
19. Porsche Crest embossed on head restraints (front)
20. Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module
21. Burmester® High-End Surround Sound System
22. Connect Plus
23. 75-litre fuel tank

Let me give my initial impressions on all the features:

1. Macan 2.0 Liter Engine.

After driving the Macan S, I was a bit disappointed with the 2.0 liter engine at first as I had to press hard to get the required push. But everything changed after I switched on the Sports Mode. The car is almost as same as the Macan S (normal mode) with the sports mode and much better when the sports + mode is switched on. If anyone is planning to buy the base Macan, I highly recommend the Sports Chrono package as it gives you the sports + mode and a huge grin on your face. This engine is perfect for your daily drives, and I don't regret a bit for getting the 2.0 engine. It's super fun to drive, and the PDK is just flawless. I strongly disagree with some members who are comparing the 2.0 liter with the Q5 and the Tiguan. The Macan 2.0 Engine is something else.

The biggest disappointment with the 2.0 liter engine is the sound. I loved the sound of the S, GTS, and Turbo but the 2.0 is way too quite. I find the sound of the engine improve as I drive more, but I am sure it can't even come as close to the other models.

2. Sapphire Blue

None of the pictures you see online can reproduce this color like you see them with your eyes. I tried to change the color to volcanic gray twice after seeing the sapphire blue pictures online, but whenever i went to the showroom and saw the blue in person, I changed my mind. Its an amazing color.

3. 21" 911 Turbo Wheels with &Wheel centers with full-colour Porsche Crest

I initially ordered the 20" Spyder design wheels, but unfortunately, they were out of stock, and I had to upgrade to the 21" Turbo Wheels. They look amazing, and I have no regrets.

4.Black & Red two-tone leather interior package with partial leather seats

I initially ordered the full red leather package, but since the 20" wheels were not available, I had to change from full leather to partial leather. I am glad I made this decision as they have the perfect amount of red.

5. 14 Way seats with comfort memory package

I am yet to find the perfect sitting position. Every adjustment I make seems to be perfect, but after a few minutes, I feel like changing them again. Hope I find the perfect position soon :p

I'll be honest here. I don't want anyone to think I am driving the base macan. Its a great no price option to have.

7. Park Assist with Surround View

The surround view is just too good, and I highly recommend everyone to order this option. The camera quality has improved a lot on the 2017 models

8. Entry & Drive

A great feature which I feel should have been standard.

9. Panoramic Roof

Wifie wanted this. Cant say no. Never used in my previous car and I am sure I'll never use in the macan, but it gives a nice premium feel to the car.

10. Sports Chrono Package

Never order a Macan without this option. The sports + mode changes your car into a beast. Again, Never order a Macan without this option. If in doubt, test drives a macan with sports + mode on. I cant wait for my car to reach 3000km.

11. Sports tailpipes black

I hated the default tailpipes of the base macan. This is a great looker.

12. Lane Change Assist

Ordered this for the wifie but I find myself using this a lot. It makes the driving much easier.

13. Comfort lighting package

A must option to have. It gives a premium feel to the vehicle. Don't forget to long press the button to dim the lights and keep them on. Its of no use if you switch them off.

14. Adaptive cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
Boy oh Boy Its amazing feature. I feel so relaxed during the bumper to bumper traffic that's so common during the peak hours in Dubai. This is an amazing feature and I highly recommend everyone to tick this option. I know this options is mainly for highway driving but its super useful during heavy traffic. I wish I don't have to resume the ACC manually every time the car comes to a full stop. Is there a fix or trick for this?

15. Floor mats

No comments here! Why can't they just give them for free!

16. Mechanical roll-up sunblind for rear side windows

A nice option to have.

17. Smoking package

Another paid option here I wish was free. Highly recommended to close the unnecessary holy.

18. Piano Finish Black interior package

Way better than the default interior of the base macan. It goes well with any interior color choice.

19. Porsche Crest embossed on head restraints (front)

Not sure why I ordered this.....

20. Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module

I ordered the Navigation Module for the Connect Plus but not so happy with the performance. I find myself using google maps more.

I feel this is the most important feature for me. I wish I knew the words to explain the bliss i encounter whenever I listen to the Burmester. I highly recommend this if you love your music. The source plays a huge factor with this system. I find a major difference in sound quality when you use FLAC vs MP3s. To experience the true potential of the system, Use high-quality FLAC files with 24/192. It's hard to test this system as most of the dealers will carry only the Bose but if you have the money, Get the Burmester. It will blow your mind.

22. Connect & Connect Plus

The Apple Car Play works flawlessly but I have an android phone and I wish Porsche comes into terms with google and implement android car connect. I didn't get a chance to try the features of the connect plus as its not yet available here.

23. 75-litre fuel tank

Its a free feature so why not. Makes lesser travel to the gas station.

Things I din't like

- The PCM 4.0 is buggy as ****. I hope the new updates will fix the issues.
- When I answer a call and disconnect it, The screen stays on the same screen and does not go back to the previous screen. Its irritating and I hope they fix it.
- I find only 14 speakers instead of 16 speakers for the Burmester system. I created another thread for this and I hope I can find the 2 hidden ones :p
- The call answering and disconnect button on the steering wheels is not working and my SA says, It will be fixed with the next update. I am surprised to see such a premium brand delivered without this basic function.

Extras

I have coated the entire car with 22PLE Mistico Elemento. They gave me 3 years warranty and I just love the shine on the car.

The most surprising feature is the headlights. I ordered the standard halogen headlights but the car came with the day time 4 point LED lights and there was an extra light that comes on when i turn the steering left or right. Its looks amazing and it was totally unepected :)

I have attached some pictures here. I will take some more pictures in the coming days and will update this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's all about how the vehicle is priced in your region. A base Macan equipped like that in the US would creep into GTS price territory.

Congrats on a great looking vehicle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congratulations and thank you for this nice post. Enjoy your Macan!

I'll be honest here. I don't want anyone to think I am driving the base macan. Its a great no price option to have.
That is exactly why I left it on my new Turbo which will be delivered on Monday. :D

I feel this is the most important feature for me. I wish I knew the words to explain the bliss i encounter whenever I listen to the Burmester. I highly recommend this if you love your music. The source plays a huge factor with this system. I find a major difference in sound quality when you use FLAC vs MP3s. To experience the true potential of the system, Use high-quality FLAC files with 24/192. It's hard to test this system as most of the dealers will carry only the Bose but if you have the money, Get the Burmester. It will blow your mind.
Great decision. I missed a good sound sooo much in my Macan S. I can't wait to get the Turbo to be able to enjoy it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you like it that is all that matters.

The base Macan eninge may be right in an Audi (which is what it is) but not in a Porsche.

I describe the base Macan as a shopping trolley, a car to take the kids to school in, a city car with a badge.

It is not a car for driving enthusiasts.

But my thought do not matter, if it is what you want then thats fine.

I prefer to drive a real Macan complete with 3.6 litre engine.

·
Registered
100 Posts

The base Macan eninge may be right in an Audi (which is what it is) but not in a Porsche.

I describe the base Macan as a shopping trolley, a car to take the kids to school in, a city car with a badge.

And comments like these are why I never contribute to this forum. The guy is happy with his choice and spelled out why he made the choice in great painstaking detail. Why do you have to put down his choice? In the famous words of Thumper, "if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".

I understand there's many members here who are still upset that the Macan 2.0L exists as it's an affront to your ideal of what a Porsche should be (though I'm sure there's plenty of people who think the existence of your 3.6L Macan is an affront to what their ideal of what a Porsche should be). But it exists, deal with it and stop denigrating the choices of others.

And to insainty, congrats on your new ride! It sounds like you're going to enjoy it! It's great to see your rational reasoning in your decision.

As for me, I'm waiting for my 2.0L to arrive. And I'll just fade back into the background again now. I've said my 2 bits.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The most important thing is that the OP is happy with the car with no regrets. He took a decision and he has to live with it. Personally, I would never buy a Macan with a 4 cyl. engine, but who am I to judge other people's decisions.

Now, I can only now suggest the OP to retrofit a PSE if he is not satisfied with the engine/exhaust sound.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree with @elau and @robip, buy a vehicle for what it is, not for what the badge on the bonnet says. If it says Porsche, Ford, Hyundai, or Tata, if you like it and it fits in your budget, go for it; you're buying it for you. If you buy it because you subscribe to the theory of conspicuous consumption, that's ok too because that is what is important to you. I learned long ago that all vehicles have a place in the market. Rant off.

·
Registered
247 Posts

I feel ashamed. I am only a poseur driving my fake Macan copycat. I only wanted to play with the Big Boys but now I see - without that special badge they won't let me in. If I wasn't such a cheapskate I too would get the bonafide real deal instead of cheap knockoffs.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
{Quote:}
[I'll be honest here. I don't want anyone to think I am driving the base macan. Its a great no price option to have.]

Not sure this logic makes sense! If you don't want others to think your driving a base Macan, will you be embarrassed driving it! When a less prestigious brand like a Ford Edge humiliates you, how is your philosophy of wanting other people to think your driving something your not going to play out?

Is the flip side of this like placing Turbo badges on a base 911 and trying to impress others in the reverse order?

Curious, no offense in your choice of cars!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I am a few days new to this forum. I have been quiet...do not like to yip...just creep, listen n learn. Until now...thank
you Elau for being human! Some folk are way to busy hearing themselves 'yap' and don't worry how it comes out...or how
it may effect another human being. I feel it is a privilege to own such a beautiful piece of equipment...not a right. some are dedicated Porsche enthusiasts and truly appreciate the Porsche product. When they 'cough it up' and eventually pull out their thin-ish wallets...mine incl...it is a huge decision...and it's done with a lot of thought and a lot of passion. No one has the right to beat down that passion. good for you for speaking out...I applaud you!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
{Quote:}
[I'll be honest here. I don't want anyone to think I am driving the base macan. Its a great no price option to have.]

Not sure this logic makes sense! If you don't want others to think your driving a base Macan, will you be embarrassed driving it! When a less prestigious brand like a Ford Edge humiliates you, how is your philosophy of wanting other people to think your driving something your not going to play out?

Is the flip side of this like placing Turbo badges on a base 911 and trying to impress others in the reverse order?

Curious, no offense in your choice of cars!
When I think about it, It's not really about what others think. Majority of people won't even know if its a macan or a cayenne. When I started out, I wanted to buy the S or the GTS, but I eventually went with the base model. I hated the tailpipes on the base, and I opted for the Sports tailpipes. Since the only obvious thing that shows the macan as the base model is the badge. I am completely against re-badging the model as something else, So I thought I'll just remove it. Now, Every time I get into the car, I don't regret a tiny bit for not getting the S or the GTS because I don't see anything that reminds me that its a base model. It's just a personal thingy :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's all about how the vehicle is priced in your region. A base Macan equipped like that in the US would creep into GTS price territory.

Congrats on a great looking vehicle.
Yes but again the GTS will be a barebone. If you start adding some options, The price shoots up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
And comments like these are why I never contribute to this forum. The guy is happy with his choice and spelled out why he made the choice in great painstaking detail. Why do you have to put down his choice? In the famous words of Thumper, "if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".

I understand there's many members here who are still upset that the Macan 2.0L exists as it's an affront to your ideal of what a Porsche should be (though I'm sure there's plenty of people who think the existence of your 3.6L Macan is an affront to what their ideal of what a Porsche should be). But it exists, deal with it and stop denigrating the choices of others.

And to insainty, congrats on your new ride! It sounds like you're going to enjoy it! It's great to see your rational reasoning in your decision.

As for me, I'm waiting for my 2.0L to arrive. And I'll just fade back into the background again now. I've said my 2 bits.
Great comments, elau and enjoy your new PORSCHE!

·
Registered
7,568 Posts

Really? Wow ! That is just amazing! Fantastic ! You are certainly an inspiration to us all. We all look forward to your always encouraging and positive input. Your knowledge of the brand and everything Porsche is very impressive. Heck, I think your just incredibly knowledgeable about all cars and you seem to know people and their lifestyles so well . You are indeed a tremendous presence on this forum.

By the way, there's a bridge in Brooklyn, NY that's for sale ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 91 Posts