Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the rear fascia, side rockers, and front corner skirts painted at a local body shop. Also powdered coated the exhaust tips. Here's a few pics I took quickly, I'll try to add some other angles later...

Edit: Couple more...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ok gotta ask what did that cost I'm thinking about doing the same thing but just the rear facia and spoiler.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok gotta ask what did that cost I'm thinking about doing the same thing but just the rear facia and spoiler.

$870 (not including exhaust tips), but afterwards the rep said they underestimated the labor. They said I was the first customer they did this for and the next customer would be more like $1500. I guess the prep work to get the textured plastic perfectly smooth took a lot longer than expected. I was without my car for 4 full days. The shop is Porsche certified and was referred through my dealer. The paint match is unreal, very happy with the work so far. I honestly feel like I purchased a body kit it looks that much different. Only so much can come through in the pics. I'll be trying to add some more pics in better lighting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks fantastic! I ended up ordering the SD package since i'm not fond of the unpainted parts as well.

Reactions: jrjunior31

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The only item I regret not doing!

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
Hey @jrjunior31, that looks really excellent, and well worth the time, effort, and expense. Nicely done!!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. Certain angles I was ok with the black plastics, but other angles I didn't like it. Very happy I went through with the process. Combined with the other small mods I've done (bumperplugs, black badges, black tailpipes), I think it looks cleaner and sportier, not to mention more expensive. I've never done any modifying in the past so it's been a learning process. I wanted to get some zoom out pics showing the black pipes but with iPhone 6 the whole skidplate area seems to disappear unfortunately. I'll try to capture the pipes in a different light at some point. In the meantime here's a few different angles that weren't posted above...

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Your car looks great. Even though mine is black, this is something I've thought about doing, because even in the black I think the difference would be noticeable. I'm so glad I paid to have my rear fascia painted from factory, because I know it would be bothering me now if I hadn't.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Very nice upgrade. Makes the car look a lot more premium (they all should look like that out of the factory. In a perfect world; then maybe give an option to paint the diffuser to make up what they'd lose in rear bumper paint upgrades, and charge half for the SD skirts so instead of paint, you're paying for the lower and more flared out ground effect).

On a separate note, how they implement the radar cruise in the already so busy egg-crate standard S grill imo looks quite forced. If you can, I'd recommend painting the front grill gloss black (a new option for '16's) as it would really round out that car.

That's a very reasonable cost, namely from a Porsche certified shop. Seems like the huge costs others got quoted for those apparently complicated to paint plastic parts were from shops who took into account their complication. You definitely were fortunate. Love the idea of the powder coated exhaust tips. That's probably the first aesthetic mod I plan to do if I do anything going forward to my car (not out of necessity), aesthetically.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Your car looks great. Even though mine is black, this is something I've thought about doing, because even in the black I think the difference would be noticeable. I'm so glad I paid to have my rear fascia painted from factory, because I know it would be bothering me now if I hadn't.
Agree it looks great. I think I prefer this to the SD package at least in white.
@skierdude I've had the back fascia and the sideskirts done on my black car, only thing I haven't done is the front lip. There are some pics in the more recent review in my sig. I definitely recommend it!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice upgrade. Makes the car look a lot more premium (they all should look like that out of the factory. In a perfect world; then maybe give an option to paint the diffuser to make up what they'd lose in rear bumper paint upgrades, and charge half for the SD skirts so instead of paint, you're paying for the lower and more flared out ground effect).

On a separate note, how they implement the radar cruise in the already so busy egg-crate standard S grill imo looks quite forced. If you can, I'd recommend painting the front grill gloss black (a new option for '16's) as it would really round out that car.

That's a very reasonable cost, namely from a Porsche certified shop. Seems like the huge costs others got quoted for those apparently complicated to paint plastic parts were from shops who took into account their complication. You definitely were fortunate. Love the idea of the powder coated exhaust tips. That's probably the first aesthetic mod I plan to do if I do anything going forward to my car (not out of necessity), aesthetically.

@skierdude, the rep mentioned to me that the side rockers were pretty easy. I think the rear fascia was what took so long. Get a couple estimates I think you will really enjoy the upgrade. @gobobbie's thread clearly shows how it adds a premium look to the black Macan.
@K-A, My original estimate included skid plates so I could have had them done for that same price I believe. I told them specifically leave the skid plates stock. I wasn't sure if it would be too much white, and the Q5 plate looks very similar and is painted white. I also thought it may show a lot of rock chips. The work I had done I don't believe has as much paint durability as say your factory SD Pack diffuser. However I could be wrong on this. I looked at the white Macan turbos and decided I liked the black diffuser with the black sport pipes. There's never any SD pack Macans around for me to look at it so I didn't want to paint the skid plates without seeing them in person first. Of course now, like all of us on MF, I'm second guessing myself. The contrast for the tail pipes would have been pretty cool looking I think. I can always do it later if I want I guess anyway.

Regarding the grill in those pics it does look faded out with the sun directly on it even though I've applied 303 twice in the past 4 months. The 303 is great but you have to keep applying it. The radar ball never bothered me it looks fine in person. The gloss black grill and rims on white cars I'm not a huge fan of, it's a little too flashy for my tastes, I'm ok with the matte grill. It looks perfect after treated with the 303.

I'm still not sold on my black tail pipes they came out a little too dark for me. I wanted the look of the factory sport pipes which is more of a gun metal or dark gray. The shop had anthracite gray but I wasn't sure if that would be too light. They said no one has ever had their pipes done in that color and 90% of Porsches they do semi-gloss black so I went with that. Notice the difference of my pipes vs the Porsche OEM sport pipes... What do you guys think? I may eventually just order the Porsche sport pipes or maybe plasti-dip in anthracite grey if I don't get used to the deep black...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Not digging the semi-gloss black exhaust tips.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My fav thing about my PSE (other than the sound) is the big chrome tips against the black diffuser --- stands out --- its now the only chrome left on my car and definitely leaving it -- love it.

Reactions: faultball

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's stock S pipes (1 pic) vs OEM Macan Sport pipes in high gloss black (2 pics). The last pic is a 911 GTS with what looks like black chrome tips. Not sure if these are stock or not. The Macan Sport pipes don't look black to me they look gray with a mirrored finish. The black on mine looks much better in person, it doesn't come through well in pics, but I'm still not sure on it yet. Saw a white Cayenne GTS today with matte black pipes, I think mine looked better...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
@skierdude, the rep mentioned to me that the side rockers were pretty easy. I think the rear fascia was what took so long. Get a couple estimates I think you will really enjoy the upgrade. @gobobbie's thread clearly shows how it adds a premium look to the black Macan.

@K-A, My original estimate included skid plates so I could have had them done for that same price I believe. I told them specifically leave the skid plates stock. I wasn't sure if it would be too much white, and the Q5 plate looks very similar and is painted white. I also thought it may show a lot of rock chips. The work I had done I don't believe has as much paint durability as say your factory SD Pack diffuser. However I could be wrong on this. I looked at the white Macan turbos and decided I liked the black diffuser with the black sport pipes. There's never any SD pack Macans around for me to look at it so I didn't want to paint the skid plates without seeing them in person first. Of course now, like all of us on MF, I'm second guessing myself. The contrast for the tail pipes would have been pretty cool looking I think. I can always do it later if I want I guess anyway.

Regarding the grill in those pics it does look faded out with the sun directly on it even though I've applied 303 twice in the past 4 months. The 303 is great but you have to keep applying it. The radar ball never bothered me it looks fine in person. The gloss black grill and rims on white cars I'm not a huge fan of, it's a little too flashy for my tastes, I'm ok with the matte grill. It looks perfect after treated with the 303.

I'm still not sold on my black tail pipes they came out a little too dark for me. I wanted the look of the factory sport pipes which is more of a gun metal or dark gray. The shop had anthracite gray but I wasn't sure if that would be too light. They said no one has ever had their pipes done in that color and 90% of Porsches they do semi-gloss black so I went with that. Notice the difference of my pipes vs the Porsche OEM sport pipes... What do you guys think? I may eventually just order the Porsche sport pipes or maybe plasti-dip in anthracite grey if I don't get used to the deep black...
I will say that with an all white diffuser (like SD), I really like the semi gloss black taillight look. Pops against the white. I'm a bit unsure which I like more in terms of black shade when against the matte black diffuser. I think yours look good already though.

About the skid plates. I've noticed they aren't really rock chip prone. The rear isn't at all, obviously, but the front when is good on mine. Maybe there are tiny ones but you really can't even notice from there, unless you crawl down and are anal, which I am. :D

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
I didn't want to paint the skid plates without seeing them in person first. Of course now, like all of us on MF, I'm second guessing myself.
Personally, I think you did well by not painting the rear skid plate. To my eye, the rear diffuser/skid plate should be either black, stainless, or carbon fiber. But, to each his own.....of course. Nice write-up.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Personally, I think you did well by not painting the rear skid plate. To my eye, the rear diffuser/skid plate should be either black, stainless, or carbon fiber. But, to each his own.....of course. Nice write-up.

Mas Uno. Translation : + 1

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 35 Posts