Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
@Ge0 I just measured the height clearance of the Thule AeroBlade with the open Pano Roof and I see no more than 2" gap. The open pano roof height is pretty much even with the factory roof rails. I am not familiar with the Thule bike carrier attachment mechanism, but here is a picture of my Thule Ski carrier attached to the bar itself, and another picture of the open pano roof from the back.

·
Registered
346 Posts
@Ge0 I just measured the height clearance of the Thule AeroBlade with the open Pano Roof and I see no more than 2" gap. The open pano roof height is pretty much even with the factory roof rails. I am not familiar with the Thule bike carrier attachment mechanism, but here is a picture of my Thule Ski carrier attached to the bar itself, and another picture of the open pano roof from the back.

View attachment 229004

View attachment 229006
Thank you once again for taking the time and posting the pictures. It look like the bike rack will clear just fine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
A local hitch place that was recommended by a colleague quoted about $400 for parts (including wiring harness) and labor for a hitch for the Macan. I wonder if they know they will have to cut the rear diffuser. Seems pretty cheap. It is a reputable shop too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Grrr. I have 2 nearly new Thule roof mount bike carriers. I also have a Thule hitch mount bike carrier. However, I don't have cross bars or a trailer hitch on my Macan.

I prefer the trailer hitch bike rack since it reduces the likelihood that I will scratch or damage my vehicle. However, the hitch I want (Stealth Hitch) is $600. Labor to install it will be roughly $500. This is kind of expensive.

I thought installing cross bars would be a more economical solution. However, the entire crossbar kit I need will be approximately $620. Ughhh... Fortunately I have a few more months of bad weather here in Michigan. I can hold off buying either solution until after tax returns :)

Ge0

·
Registered
62 Posts
BUT - bigger question is, do Thule accessories (i.e., bike carrier) work on the Porsche bars? Do the Porsche bars have an inset groove down the centerline of the bar? (The photo on Suncoast parts does not really show much detail)
They do, i've done this for years on my Porsche OEM racks...i use the Thule bike carriers. Most shops feel that the Porsche OEM bars are the same manufacturer as the Thule...no concrete support here, but pointing out they mesh perfectly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Grrr. I have 2 nearly new Thule roof mount bike carriers. I also have a Thule hitch mount bike carrier. However, I don't have cross bars or a trailer hitch on my Macan.

I prefer the trailer hitch bike rack since it reduces the likelihood that I will scratch or damage my vehicle. However, the hitch I want (Stealth Hitch) is $600. Labor to install it will be roughly $500. This is kind of expensive.

I thought installing cross bars would be a more economical solution. However, the entire crossbar kit I need will be approximately $620. Ughhh... Fortunately I have a few more months of bad weather here in Michigan. I can hold off buying either solution until after tax returns :)

Ge0
Stealth hitch is excellent. I have it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Stealth hitch is excellent. I have it.
Probably what I am going to buy eventually. I need a set of summer tires first. Hmm. Or do I? I've only put 600 miles on the car due to CV-19 lock down. It may be October before the lock down is fully lifted. I may just keep my Scorpions Ice and Snow tires on there.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Probably what I am going to buy eventually. I need a set of summer tires first. Hmm. Or do I? I've only put 600 miles on the car due to CV-19 lock down. It may be October before the lock down is fully lifted. I may just keep my Scorpions Ice and Snow tires on there.

Ge0
I did that with my girl friend's car a couple of years ago and then forgot about it. That fall I bring my four mounted tires encased in white plastic sacks in to Discount Tire and ask them to put my winter tires on. 20 minutes later they come to me in the waiting room "Um, Mr. Wahl your winter tires are already on the car." I felt lower than a lizard's lunch.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Weird day today I made a little progress:

This metal rips through these cut off wheels:

But, a nice fine line:

I think I went through 9 cut off wheels total:

Sharp crisp edges:

Take off sharp edges the easy way:

Polish it up a little better

Good enough fit. The grill is 1/16th" undersized. However, this may work out ok.

To be continued...

Ge0

·
Registered
61 Posts
Weird day today I made a little progress:

This metal rips through these cut off wheels:

But, a nice fine line:

I think I went through 9 cut off wheels total:

Sharp crisp edges:

Take off sharp edges the easy way:

Polish it up a little better

Good enough fit. The grill is 1/16th" undersized. However, this may work out ok.

To be continued...

Ge0
I think you posted to the wrong thread.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts