Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post as I'm about to take the plunge tomorrow!! I've seen a few older posts on this subject but I wanted to ask the question now that more aftermarket options are available.

I'm getting the built in aluminum roof rails, but I'm wondering whether I should get the Porsche cross bars (aka "Roof Transport System") or go with an aftermarket variation. Pricing is relatively reasonable with Porsche (US$270), but they look a little clunky to me and I've read of issues with it during install.

Thoughts?

Porsche? Thule? Whispbar? RockyMounts? Other?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I went with the Porsche ones. The rails on the car are non-standard and there weren't a lot of aftermarket options. I own a Thule set that I use on my other cars, but they won't fit on the Macan's rails. The Porsche ones were about the same price as aftermarket ones, and are covered under the car's warranty.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
It will be black Thule Wingbars for my GTS to match the black roof rails. The Porsche cross bars are too big and thick for my liking.
Thule make a specific foot pack for the Macan. Fit isn't a problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
2 quick comments. The Porsche bars are available for $249 from Suncoast. The Thule bars are $499. That seems like an easy decision to me.

BUT - bigger question is, do Thule accessories (i.e., bike carrier) work on the Porsche bars? Do the Porsche bars have an inset groove down the centerline of the bar? (The photo on Suncoast parts does not really show much detail)

·
Registered
201 Posts
2 quick comments. The Porsche bars are available for $249 from Suncoast. The Thule bars are $499. That seems like an easy decision to me.

BUT - bigger question is, do Thule accessories (i.e., bike carrier) work on the Porsche bars? Do the Porsche bars have an inset groove down the centerline of the bar? (The photo on Suncoast parts does not really show much detail)
On a business trip 1st part of this week, but I can get some pics of my bars for you when I get home. I haven't taken them out of the storage bag yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
On a business trip 1st part of this week, but I can get some pics of my bars for you when I get home. I haven't taken them out of the storage bag yet.
That would be awesome - thanks from a fellow Bostonian!
I've still got several weeks before mine arrives, so just want to be prepared and ready to go once it does get here.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi,

Got a chance to pull these out of the bag. They appear solid and well-made. They do have a groove down the centerline.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wanted wider bars, got Thule podium 460 for their square bars and went 58" vs 50." I can put more stuff up there, even 2 kayaks lying flat on top. BUT THE WIND NOISE IS HORRIBLE

·
Registered
346 Posts
I remember seeing that the Porsche branded cross bars allow clearance for the sunroof to open. For anyone who went with the Thule system. Does the Thule system allow you to open the sunroof? I remember seeing a diagram that recommends you don't open your sunroof with Thule Aero bars.

Ge0

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the Thule aeroblade edge bars with motion XT box and can open my panoramic roof all the way without any issues

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
This is my first post as I'm about to take the plunge tomorrow!! I've seen a few older posts on this subject but I wanted to ask the question now that more aftermarket options are available.

I'm getting the built in aluminum roof rails, but I'm wondering whether I should get the Porsche cross bars (aka "Roof Transport System") or go with an aftermarket variation. Pricing is relatively reasonable with Porsche (US$270), but they look a little clunky to me and I've read of issues with it during install.

Thoughts?

Porsche? Thule? Whispbar? RockyMounts? Other?
I have a thought for you, if you haven't been reading the forum long.

In the two+ years I've been reading, I recall some posts regarding the torque applied to roof rails. I have the OEM rails, along with the OEM crossbars. I've never used the crossbars -- I'm saving them for maybe some drive to a beach vacation, and at that time I'll buy either a Porsche top box or some aftermarket one. (I have a huge Thule box, left over from when we had a Camry for ten years, and used it for just such a week.)

Where was I? Oh, yeah, it seems that a few folks have had problems with the rails leaving gaps by the roof, or bending, some problem along those lines. It looks like the Porsche small wrench with built-in torque gizmo is either set too high, or the torque spec itself is too high, or something.

In any case, reading those threads has stuck in my mind, and I plan to very cautious whenever it is that I get around to actually mounting the factory crossbars. So this is a heads-up to not be a gorilla when mounting whatever crossbars you wind up with, and pay attention to what's going on when you mount them.

·
Registered
346 Posts

This is the image that raised my concern. They show this image but do not explain if there is an incompatibility issue or if you should just be cautious. As a matter of fact they do not mention sunroof's at all. That sure looks like a warning about cracking your glass to me.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Here is my concern with the low profile cross bars and my bike carrier when installed on the roof.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts