Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Hope everyone is having an amazing day! I am reaching out to get some expert guidance from our forum members in trying to purchase a Macan and figuring out which variant to buy!

We recently rented a 2021 Macan S for a month and really liked the car. The chassis is amazing, steering is very direct and accurate. We recently took it for a trip to Banff and it was great to drive and very comfortable!

Our heart is set on ordering it, save for an annoyance. We live in an area of heavy traffic and many unprotected left turns. We found that once Macan has launched the performance is very strong. However many times when trying to launch from a stop, the car just doesn't move for 1-2 seconds! This relative unpredictability seems very unusual for an otherwise amazing car.

I spent some time going through other posts on the forum about this and it seems like some others have also experience it. I am not sure if the consensus is whether this is due to turbo lag or due to the dual clutch transmission or whether it is an issue with the S variant with a single turbo.

Do you think this is an issue with the particular car or is this an issue with all Macan S (with has a single turbo engine which has been removed from lineup for next year). Would the Base or GTS and Turbo have better performance on launch from stop! We have flexibility in our budget that we can go for any of the variants. However unfortunately there aren't many variants available for test drive in my area.

Thanks and looking forward to your feedback!

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
If you order a 2022 it will be a different car. Read here about how different. If you buy the 2021 you need to read about how many use Sport as their default mode. Then read up on the throttle controllers that you would have to install by your self.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you order a 2022 it will be a different car. Read here about how different. If you buy the 2021 you need to read about how many use Sport as their default mode. Then read up on the throttle controllers that you would have to install by your self.
Thanks for your response @wwahl. I tried to keep it in S, but then the transmission becomes a bit choppy/jerky in city driving. It's as if the car is not able to decide when it wants to redline and when it wants to drive normally!

My understanding about 2022 is: GTS engine in S; Turbo engine is GTS; Base engine same with slightly more power. I might be missing something, but does it seem likely that the driving experience for 2021 will hold for 2022 (for different variants of course)? I could be wrong and that is why I am looking for feedback from the experience forum members!

Which variant do you think will have the best response on launch from stop for a non-enthusiast driver like my wife. She just wants a car which behaves predictably and is responsive!

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Thanks for your response @wwahl. I tried to keep it in S, but then the transmission becomes a bit choppy/jerky in city driving. It's as if the car is not able to decide when it wants to redline and when it wants to drive normally!

My understanding about 2022 is: GTS engine in S; Turbo engine is GTS; Base engine same with slightly more power. I might be missing something, but does it seem likely that the driving experience for 2021 will hold for 2022 (for different variants of course)? I could be wrong and that is why I am looking for feedback from the experience forum members!

Which variant do you think will have the best response on launch from stop for a non-enthusiast driver like my wife. She just wants a car which behaves predictably and is responsive!
So in my case I have a 2018 S that I ordered from Germany. It has a totally different Porsche engine in it that is susceptible to the dreaded timing chain oil leakage problem. In my case, as in probably a huge percentage of others, it had not shown up. As I am approaching the end of the factory warranty I opted to buy a five year extended warranty so I would not worry about ownership after the factory one went away. The point of all this is you can probably find a car like mine for quite a bit less in cost that is pretty much what you want. Mine has the Cobb AP and zips down the road ASAP. Find one that has the CPO coverage and then extend it with an extended warranty. You might cut your costs in half.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So in my case I have a 2018 S that I ordered from Germany. It has a totally different Porsche engine in it that is susceptible to the dreaded timing chain oil leakage problem. In my case, as in probably a huge percentage of others, it had not shown up. As I am approaching the end of the factory warranty I opted to buy a five year extended warranty so I would not worry about ownership after the factory one went away. The point of all this is you can probably find a car like mine for quite a bit less in cost that is pretty much what you want. Mine has the Cobb AP and zips down the road ASAP. Find one that has the CPO coverage and then extend it with an extended warranty. You might cut your costs in half.
Unfortunately time is a big crunch and I have some flexibility with budget. So it might not make sense to go the CPO route and doing mods in the car. I am looking for a reliable daily hauler which is bigger than my wife's current car (VW GTI). GTI is also a DCT and shares same engine as Macan Base, but somehow we have never found any responsiveness issues from stop in GTI.

Would one of the newer variants not have the issue that I am facing with the Macan S?

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Unfortunately time is a big crunch and I have some flexibility with budget. So it might not make sense to go the CPO route and doing mods in the car. I am looking for a reliable daily hauler which is bigger than my wife's current car (VW GTI). GTI is also a DCT and shares same engine as Macan Base, but somehow we have never found any responsiveness issues from stop in GTI.

Would one of the newer variants not have the issue that I am facing with the Macan S?
Test drive them if they can be found would be my answer. From what I read here on this forum there has been no pause problem in the newer cars. There was in the 2018's. As you had it in the 2021 it may be back. I still say to you that buying a seasoned car should be considered. Where are you located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Test drive them if they can be found would be my answer. From what I read here on this forum there has been no pause problem in the newer cars. There was in the 2018's. As you had it in the 2021 it may be back. I still say to you that buying a seasoned car should be considered. Where are you located?
I am located in Vancouver, BC. What is the benefit of buying a seasoned car! I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me!

·
Registered
11,988 Posts

My guess is that the pause you are describing occurred in "normal" setting . It should not occur in sport or sport plus . That being said I never drove the single turbo S . Porsche apparently has retired that engine as the new S is the 2.9 and the new GTS is the same 2.9 but mapped differently . The base car is a 4 cylinder .

My favorite models in the lineup are either a stripped low option base (if budget is an issue) or a modest spec GTS . The S is my least favorite because its expensive and neither the bargain of the base nor the flagship of the GTS ,

You can not compared a lightweight GT! to a 2 ton Macan . It;'s a great SUV but it is an SUV .

So to your question .. I would buy a GTS .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My guess is that the pause you are describing occurred in "normal" setting . It should not occur in sport or sport plus . That being said I never drove the single turbo S . Porsche apparently has retired that engine as the new S is the 2.9 and the new GTS is the same 2.9 but mapped differently . The base car is a 4 cylinder .

My favorite models in the lineup are either a stripped low option base (if budget is an issue) or a modest spec GTS . The S is my least favorite because its expensive and neither the bargain of the base nor the flagship of the GTS ,

You can not compared a lightweight GT! to a 2 ton Macan . It;'s a great SUV but it is an SUV .

So to your question .. I would buy a GTS .
Thanks. Main thing I am hearing is to avoid driving in Normal mode. Let me see if I can find a way to test drive the other variants. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2016 Macan Turbo
521 Posts
@porschevroom, our experience is that on Gen 1 (2015 - 2018) the Base is instant off the line and much smoother in city traffic than other variants (when we use it as a service loaner) but you can Cobb it and Pedal commander it at the same time to increase off the line response even more. However, our 2016 Turbo or I compared it to a brand new lot 2018 Turbo lag off the line as you described in your experience and choppy in stop/go traffic. Our solution is Cobb OCT91 BGB smoothing version map that solves the problem. Sport or Sport+ can be used but you have to ideally wait for the engine to warm up as @yrralis1 said before you engage it and need to press the buttons which my wife will not do so Cobb does the trick. We have not tried the pedal commander as Cobb is plenty quick to push the Turbo off the line. However, if my wife had to choose between the two then she would go with the Base because of the stock off the line response and city driving smoothness.

P.S. The explanation we have been given for the lag is that Normal is the fuel saving Eco mode and we are not to expect quickness off the line or any other performance even on a Turbo. So when I remove Cobb before going to service you can instantly tell that everything becomes heavy and slow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@porschevroom, our experience is that on Gen 1 (2015 - 2018) the Base is instant off the line and much smoother in city traffic than other variants (when we use it as a service loaner) but you can Cobb it and Pedal commander it at the same time to increase off the line response even more. However, our 2016 Turbo or I compared it to a brand new lot 2018 Turbo lag off the line as you described in your experience and choppy in stop/go traffic. Our solution is Cobb OCT91 BGB smoothing version map that solves the problem. Sport or Sport+ can be used but you have to ideally wait for the engine to warm up as @yrralis1 said before you engage it and need to press the buttons which my wife will not do so Cobb does the trick. We have not tried the pedal commander as Cobb is plenty quick to push the Turbo off the line. However, if my wife had to choose between the two then she would go with the Base because of the stock off the line response and city driving smoothness.

P.S. The explanation we have been given for the lag is that Normal is the fuel saving Eco mode and we are not to expect quickness off the line or any other performance even on a Turbo. So when I remove Cobb before going to service you can instantly tell that everything becomes heavy and slow.

This is really useful. I will try to test drive the Base and the GTS. Wife just needs a car which is easy to drive with too much fuss!

Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Definitely test drive all the variants. We ended up buying the GTS because that made sense for us. I will say I have not experienced at delays when stepping on the gas.

·
Registered
2022 Macan S PNMI5PJ6
156 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts