Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mercedes GLA Forums

Mercedes will soon be releasing the GLA, a compact crossover SUV. I have to say the design is pretty nice. I am wondering what you guys think. Is the Macan still nicer? I think they are pretty comparable design wise. As in, neither is ugly, it is really a matter of taste.

and the GLA...

·
Registered
247 Posts
AHH very torn, I mean on the one hand i could save about 25-20K by going with the GLA, the GLA certainly has very appealing lines. On the other hand a $30,000 Mercedes is going to proliferate in every urban environment.

The Macan just has something the Mercedes doesn't, look at that stance its inherited from the 911. Porsches drivetrains are known to be bullet proof, and i really cant explain the exclusivity factor the Macan carries over the GLA.

Besides isnt the Macan a little bigger than the GLA? I thought GLA was Q3 sized while Macan is Q5 sized?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I see Porsches everywhere in my neighborhood, and the Macan is supposed to be Porsches biggest seller. I'm not sure that getting a Macan will give you the exclusivity that you desire.

Anyway, both cars are great looking. Mostly I am excited about the color of the GLA. I don't think that Porsche offers a brown color option.

The money that you would save by buying the GLA would be felt in the quality of the vehicle though. The Macan costs more for a reason. It is a nicer vehicle. If you've got the money, go with the Macan. If you are looking for a deal, go for the GLA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like the front grille on the GLA more than the Macan. The Macan hasn't really done anything with the front grille at all. But the Macan has a more classic design. I think that it will stand the test of time better than the GLA. In a few years the GLA will look like an out of date vehicle, but the Macan will look very relevant still IMO. I also don't like the psedo-spoiler on the GLA. Its not a sports car, it doesn't need a spoiler.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I like the front grille on the GLA more than the Macan. The Macan hasn't really done anything with the front grille at all. But the Macan has a more classic design. I think that it will stand the test of time better than the GLA. In a few years the GLA will look like an out of date vehicle, but the Macan will look very relevant still IMO. I also don't like the psedo-spoiler on the GLA. Its not a sports car, it doesn't need a spoiler.
Thats the point of Porsche styling. look at the 911 through the years it is essentially unchanged, sure every few years the 911 will get new head and tails but shape and dynamics have always been the same.

It's not really a spoiler on the GLA, its just a little overhang to help the air flow better over the top of the GLA. The Macan is actually sculpted beautifully and should cut through the wind nicely...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I see Porsches everywhere in my neighborhood, and the Macan is supposed to be Porsches biggest seller. I'm not sure that getting a Macan will give you the exclusivity that you desire.

Anyway, both cars are great looking. Mostly I am excited about the color of the GLA. I don't think that Porsche offers a brown color option.

The money that you would save by buying the GLA would be felt in the quality of the vehicle though. The Macan costs more for a reason. It is a nicer vehicle. If you've got the money, go with the Macan. If you are looking for a deal, go for the GLA.
You must live in a gated community for there to be porsches everywhere... I see about 5 Mercedes to every Porsche I see.

Porsche has a brown colour available its just much rarer, I've seen it mostly on Panameras.. But even a Macan in Porsche Racing Green Metallic would be quite dreamy..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am lucky to live in an area with luxury cars as the norm parked on the street. BMWs are probably most common. But Audis, Porsches and Mercedes are all about equal I would say (its not as though I have counted or anything.)

I feel like I only ever see black Porsches. Maybe different colors on a Boxster or Cayman, but with Cayennes they are all black with a white one every once in a blue moon. I would never have known Porsche offered so many color choices from what I see on the street.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am lucky to live in an area with luxury cars as the norm parked on the street. BMWs are probably most common. But Audis, Porsches and Mercedes are all about equal I would say (its not as though I have counted or anything.)

I feel like I only ever see black Porsches. Maybe different colors on a Boxster or Cayman, but with Cayennes they are all black with a white one every once in a blue moon. I would never have known Porsche offered so many color choices from what I see on the street.
Lucky, lucky. Porsches are not the norm where I live, but neither are Mercedes. I have been seeing a lot of Evoques around lately. Those seem to be picking up in sales recently.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I often wish that press photos of cars would have a person in the picture as well so that I could get a better idea of the ride height. I can't tell if it is sitting high like an SUV, or lower like a wagon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I often wish that press photos of cars would have a person in the picture as well so that I could get a better idea of the ride height. I can't tell if it is sitting high like an SUV, or lower like a wagon.
In my opinion it's like a wagon.
I see lots of Mercedes A class everyday, and GLA will be just a little higher. In order to get an idea check out the Volvo V40 and the V40 Cross Country

·
Registered
256 Posts
Actually i think the GLA is a true SUV/CUV, something good enough to compete with the Evoque but just not as good as the Macan, i don't think the macan is based off of anything, it's completely unique....which helps to live up to the level the Evoque is at

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both the GLA and the Macan are CUVs, in my opinion. The Macan is smaller than the Cayenne, but both are considered CUVs. Same with the GLA, which is smaller than the GLK.

There is a SUV-like vehicle in any size that you could possibly want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In my opinion it's like a wagon.
I see lots of Mercedes A class everyday, and GLA will be just a little higher. In order to get an idea check out the Volvo V40 and the V40 Cross Country

Never knew about this Volvo crossover. That thing looks nice. Anybody know what it it like on the inside / what features and options does it have?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Neither the V40 nor V40 Cross Country are available in the US, don't get why brands don't sell as many compact cars in the US as they do here in Europe, in my opinion US is a great market for those kind of cars as well.

Check out UK's Volvo site (for example) if you wanna know more about it. Can't be compared to Macan though, another level.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Both are nice interiors but they are both very different too. The Volvo is very minimalist with a centre console that is different from most others that I have seen. The Macan has a much more sporty interior and steps up the class with contrast stitching.

·
Registered
247 Posts
And the Macan...

I dont think thats a Macan interior. For one there have been no official press photos of the Macans exterior let alone the interior, and second thats the interior from a Cayenne GTS... You can tell by the GTS stitched into the rear buckets, the neon stitching and the fact that Macan does not have a GTS variant yet ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.