Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about this. Someone gave an estimate of $8K to pull the engine. I want to know if anyone had their timing chain oil leak fully covered under an aftermarket warranty company and if so, what company?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm curious about this. Someone gave an estimate of $8K to pull the engine. I want to know if anyone had their timing chain oil leak fully covered under an aftermarket warranty company and if so, what company?

Just had ours done at 30k miles, dealer took care of it, PORSCHE covered it 100%

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that out. Thank you. But what happens when you're out of the 4/48? What aftermarket warranty company has covered that for anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Haha aftermarket warranty always gotcha.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Which warranty covers timing chain cover leak?

...BUT, the actual timing chain cover leak isn’t from a seal or gasket, it’s from BROKEN bolts that were sheered. Excellent question posed by the OP. I’d be curious if anyone has done this yet (as OP asked, post factory warranty thru a 3rd Party Warranty)... inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. - mine has already been fixed directly thru Porsche, so I’m just curious for curiosity’s sake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
And apparently there are just a few specific bolts that cause most problems. I have suggested before to proactively change those bolts out before they sheer/break.

·
Registered
315 Posts
...BUT, the actual timing chain cover leak isn’t from a seal or gasket, it’s from BROKEN bolts that were sheered. Excellent question posed by the OP. I’d be curious if anyone has done this yet (as OP asked, post factory warranty thru a 3rd Party Warranty)... inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. - mine has already been fixed directly thru Porsche, so I’m just curious for curiosity’s sake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still a seal or gasket that’s leaking - those warranties barely cover anything. It would be interesting to see their response.

·
Registered
315 Posts
And apparently there are just a few specific bolts that cause most problems. I have suggested before to proactively change those bolts out before they sheer/break.

Yeah but in doing so you may cause the leak. How would you keep tension on cover while removing the bolt? The gaskets are crush style one time use. Cannot release tension and reapply tension - it will most likely leak.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah but in doing so you may cause the leak. How would you keep tension on cover while removing the bolt? The gaskets are crush style one time use. Cannot release tension and reapply tension - it will most likely leak.
And, as the expression goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I can't see spending as much as it would cost to fix actual broken parts as it would to proactively fix things that are not yet broken. Not on my dime, but "your mileage may vary".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discovered the leak during my recent service never noticed any oil under the car and no drop in oil level based on dash display. Car is outside of Porsche warranty but had a dealership managed after market warranty which was just as good as the OEM warranty. Covered the cost. Seals and all connectors (bolts) were covered to drop engine minus 100 dollar deductible.

·
Super Moderator
1,339 Posts
I doubt the repair of fractured bolts (E-Z-out, etc.) could be accomplished with the timing chain cover in place.

Besides, replacing only fractured bolts leaves the remainder as 'ticking time bombs'. What would be the sense of
such a half-a**ed procedure?

I believe ALL of the bolts are replaced by the dealerships. My receipt also listed valve cover bolts as having replaced
(proactively?) as well.

;)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You gonna get Porsche to do preventative maintenance and pull the engine out and pay for this out of their own pocket? I think I'll go smoke some good stuff too....

Seriously, how you gonna do that?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Discovered the leak during my recent service never noticed any oil under the car and no drop in oil level based on dash display. Car is outside of Porsche warranty but had a dealership managed after market warranty which was just as good as the OEM warranty. Covered the cost. Seals and all connectors (bolts) were covered to drop engine minus 100 dollar deductible.
What company is the warranty though? Porsche or a second party? THAT is what I want to know. Please RSVP....

·
Registered
65 Posts
What company is the warranty though? Porsche or a second party? THAT is what I want to know. Please RSVP....
Second party - Hendricks Porsche their own after market warranty administered by Hendricks Porsche. Purchased at the time of vehicle delivery. Warranty is good up to 100k.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And what happens if you move on to another dealership or move out of state, for instance?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
You gonna get Porsche to do preventative maintenance and pull the engine out and pay for this out of their own pocket? I think I'll go smoke some good stuff too....

Seriously, how you gonna do that?
Those few bolts may be accessible without taking the engine out.

People need to be creative. ;)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what you're suggesting is to check as many bolts as possible and if broken replace them. Anyone know if there are any bolts that are found to be almost always broken compared to others? If so, are they accessible?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
If bolts are already broken, it’s too late. That’s why it’s a proactive preventive measure.

Just change out those problem bolts. They look like they are at the top of timing cover and are easily accessible. I think someone has shown a diagram before.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I showed a diagram before - it’s the top ones on the drivers side of the engine you don’t need to pull the engine to access them. But I will reiterate again you most likely cause a leak if you do so. The questionable bolts are holding tension on the timing cover and gasket - how do you expect to hold the tension on the cover and put new bolts in with LESS tension and expect them to seal a one time crush gasket ??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts