Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on the form, and also can't seem to find the recommended time or mileage in the maintenance book or owners manual. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
based on my experience....

If you are a woman, you will be told that your filters need to be changed every time you take your car in for service. (seriously...happens to my wife every single time).

If you follow the dealer's recommendation, you will replace it at every service interval because they make money by selling you parts and changing it can't hurt

If you are a reasonable driver (no racing, no off-road then probably, (I haven't looked at the manual, every 2 years or 25000 miles give or take)

I'm sure someone will post the "official" suggestion...

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Maintenance manual shows:

Intermediate maintenance at 20,000, 60,000, 100,000, 140,000 miles
Inside the vehicle: Particle filter: Replace filter element

Additional maintenance every 80,000 miles, but no later than every 4 years
Macan S, Macan Turbo: Replace air filter elements

Cheers!

Reactions: ottobon100

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I changed my 2 air intake filters at 40,000km (exactly 2 yrs in service). The condition of them when taken out were considered to be clean. I guess I could have waited until 50,000km or so.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Maintenance manual shows:

Intermediate maintenance at 20,000, 60,000, 100,000, 140,000 miles
Inside the vehicle: Particle filter: Replace filter element

Additional maintenance every 80,000 miles, but no later than every 4 years
Macan S, Macan Turbo: Replace air filter elements

Cheers!
Thanks for giving the accurate info. I do change mine every 2 years since I do mostly city driving and everywhere I go these days, I'm driving through dust/dirt road/building construction sites

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Have my car in the shop now for 20k service. Changing cabin filter, oil change and brake fluid change. Was told and shown air filter service not due until 80k or 4 years.

As a separate note was quoted $892.00 for20k service, hope itsnot that high but will find out tomorrow. Also joine PCA so will see what kind of discount I get. I guess this is the price for Porsche service and getting a new Cayanne as a loaner.

Anyway hard too believe air filters last 4 years but the SA said that due to design that was the requirement.��

·
Registered
462 Posts
I bought a set from Cobb and had to wait 3 months to get them so not sure where they source them (appear to be Alpha PHF). They look like K&N but with no oil and just need to be blown out with dry air for cleaning. The OEMs were taken out at the 30K service (we have about 28K actual) and they looked like cheap flimsy paper filters to me with very tight folds that look like it would be very hard for the air to pass through them in addition to having filter folds only on the sides (vs. 360 on the Alphas). Also, looked pretty dirty for 2.5 years and 28K miles. So I would not personally keep them for any longer than usual 1 year 10K miles. Alphas filters look totally different in design with folds to be wide open (see Cobb website). We immediately noticed a difference in sounds and smoothness but may be placebo effect as this is just day 2 on the filters. However, I would not go back to the OEMs as I cannot stand to even looking at them.

I took a picture. How can the air go through that with some folds bunching up on one side?

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqgvnoXhH4iNhJsVleVRDn6Ub437xw

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
Interesting...

ghstudio and SomeBeach both report 80K miles - one quoting their Porsche dealer.

The parts/tuner shop quotes 40K miles.

Surely the manufacturer and designer (Porsche - which states 80K) of the vehicle must know something about their cars?

When I first started driving, an auto mechanic told me if I could afford to do so, I should change my motor oil
every 500 miles, because dirty motor oil caused wear on engine parts. For a few vehicles, I changed my oil
every 2000 miles - and filter every other oil change.

Skip ahead a few years and the 2000 miles became 5000 miles.

Now, with the Macan, I'm up to 10000 miles. With the advances made in motor oils and synthetics, as well as
updates to the ICE, it would seem the 500 mile interval has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

For my John Deere lawn tractor, which does double duty in the winter minus its mower deck and plus its
snowthrower, chains and wheel weights, I change the oil & filter once a year - and clean its air filter pre-filter
(oil soaked foam) once or twice a summer.

;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Spark plugs are supposed to be changed at 30k. If you DIY, it's a great time to change the air filters since you have to remove them to get to the plugs. Do both at the same time and Bob's your uncle!

·
Registered
44 Posts
How often do you change your engine air filters? I recently had the 60k service at a dealership and I don't think they checked them because they are not required maintenance until 80k. I had thought it would be a routine item for dealerships to check at oil changes & services but it appears I'm wrong. They are more concerned about the cabin air filter & wipers.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Unless you drive in extremely dirty or dusty areas, I wouldn’t worry about them before 80k miles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
80,000 miles? Seriously? I'd really like to see that in Porsche print. No way would I leave any internal combustion engine's air filter/s in for that length of time. I can see 30-40,000 miles but you've got to remember that an engine is an air pump. It needs air to operate...clean air.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Actually dirty air filter does a better job filtering air. Kinda counter-intuitive.

The reason to change air filter is due to too much dirt eventually clogging the filter.

·
Super Moderator
1,975 Posts
80,000 miles? Seriously? I'd really like to see that in Porsche print. No way would I leave any internal combustion engine's air filter/s in for that length of time. I can see 30-40,000 miles but you've got to remember that an engine is an air pump. It needs air to operate...clean air.

I've attached the Maintenance Checklist - surprisingly, it indicates 80K miles - scroll down to find the entry.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've attached the Maintenance Checklist - surprisingly, it indicates 80K miles - scroll down to find the entry.
The checklist also indicates: at 4 yrs and dependent on use/dusty conditions. Owners should be aware of this & confirm that they're being checked. In my case, I assumed but did not confirm that they were checked at 60k nor asked the dealership why new engine air filters were not needed in my 5 yr. old Macan. It would be almost 8 yrs. old before it hits 80k and I'm changing them now at a reputable indy shop. Thanks to the forum members for their comments.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
My 2015 S is just over 5 years old with 39k mikes. The engine air filters look like new.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the link to the Maintenance Schedule. I see it in print but, OTOH, I just don't believe everything I read. Call me anal but I'll be changing mine at every spark plug change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Filters in my '17 S with 30K miles look brand new. I tend to seriously "over" maintain my cars (DIY) but I can pass on dropping $60 to replace air filters prematurely for no good reason. Not sure if filters will make it to 80K but I would be happy if they did.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts