Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Here its just the opposite . There is a speed limit but no one follows it except myself and a handful of others . What one ends up with are crappy cars like Camry's and Volvos blasting through the neighborhoods . What's even worse is they dont care . Lowering the speed limit would not matter . Even fines and points would not deter them . Some might even drive if they lost the license making it even harder to find them.

Cyclists ? Pedestrians ? Ha .. I used to ride bike and train for triathon when younger . Many cyclists try to go to the safest areas like Key Biscayne and they still get hit .
Look at this recent bike incident where they guy drove home with the cyclist in his windshield https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/deadline-miami/article7852698.html

Australia ? Rules ? Ha . They nearly killed Jonny Depps dogs for ruining their ecosystem. https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/blogs/why-australia-is-going-nuts-over-johnny-depps-dogs

Granted he should have left them home but my point is the laid back "g-day mate" is much like the Hollywood version of Miami where the real story is like yours or mine when one lives in a place.

Hang in there . I would chuckle seeing a few of my neighbors driving 18 mph.

They removed one of the car lanes and replaced it with a bike lane in midtown going both ways and lowered the speed limit from 40 to 30, so on any given morning or afternoon a totally usable road is now a traffic jam, but the lone hobo on a bike now has an entire repurposed car lane to drunkenly weave around on.

Well @Hi-Toro, I am not long back from an 11400 km trip in the Macan through the Northern Territory and I can assure you there is no free limit anywhere, it's now 130 km/h max. There was a change of Government a few years back (now the same flavour as Vic) and they decided that anything over 130 was too dangerous, but the odd thing is that the road toll went up after they reduced it!
Rarely saw any Roos in the NT, but more cattle and no self respecting Dingo would be seen in public let alone wearing someone's clothes ...

Merry Christmas all :)

IDK...my average speed going to work is 18mph most days. If I’m lucky I’ll get it up to 24mph. I can sure get a lot of reading done in my audiobooks while driving 8 miles.

I live on a 20mph road and find it relaxing. Oddly we’ve had a couple of fatal car wrecks, but something tells me they were going 3 or 4x the speed limit.

On the other hand....there are lots of mountain roads that have 35mph speed limits and 20mph suggestion corners that I like to just set the cruise to 5 over and carve them up.

Reactions: Dkayak
My neighbours voted for this lunacy !
This might just be the beginning. It can get a lot worse. Years ago I drove down a residential road, wide, maybe 1.5 lanes on each side, sidewalks, one side mostly trees, the other side houses spread apart. This is suburban, not urban. No one parks on the street, the houses on the street face into side streets. Its a bit curvy and minor rises. Its always been 25 or 30 MPH. This is a road where 40 "feels" appropriate. There are no kids playing in the street as the houses don't face the street.

It started with the radar traps. Since its a bit curvy, no way you can see the cop in the bushes and besides, who has a radar detector out in a 30 MPH zone?

When that failed to slow people down, they move onto "traffic calming", that is, circles and concrete islands. All that did was have some people leave their tire rubber on the edges of the curbs as it was obvious people just sped up between the islands.

Then came the speed bumps. Not the small high ones like in shopping malls but wider ones. Lot of good those did.

Last time I saw the radar signs, you know the ones that say "Your Speed 45" ... "Speed limit 30". LOL I guess the ticket just comes in the mail.

IOW, it gets worse. :(

Regarding radar guns and speeding tickets and remembering the "good old days"– I'm 68. Getting a speeding ticket then required a police car to follow you and determine your speed by reading it off his calibrated speedometer.

Regarding radar guns and speeding tickets and remembering the "good old days"– I'm 68. Getting a speeding ticket then required a police car to follow you and determine your speed by reading it off his calibrated speedometer.
I'm 69, and I remember when Florida Highway Patrol would use airplanes to time vehicles between markers on the highway, then radio ahead to have a colleague pull the scofflaw over and write the ticket.
Don't know if that procedure is still operative, but I don't want to find out the hard way 0:)

I live close to a university and its very prevalent here. Stepping into the street without needing to look occurs more often than not.
For real. Marquette University did something thoughtful when Milwaukee repaved the main street near the unversity a few years ago: they put in huge median planters (visible in the photo) that force the kids to cross at designated crosswalks, which makes things MUCH safer. I live near Northwestern University, who had a chance to do the same thing, but nooooooo. I wish they would've.

Last time I saw the radar signs, you know the ones that say "Your Speed 45" ... "Speed limit 30". IOW, it gets worse. :(
Yeah, they've put those up in front of a local high school, and late at night, you can hear sportbikes racing up the empty street in order to see who can post the highest number. Those radar signs are almost an "I dare ya..." if it's not during actual enforcement hours.

Attachments

Well @Hi-Toro, I am not long back from an 11400 km trip in the Macan through the Northern Territory and I can assure you there is no free limit anywhere, it's now 130 km/h max. There was a change of Government a few years back (now the same flavour as Vic) and they decided that anything over 130 was too dangerous, but the odd thing is that the road toll went up after they reduced it!
Rarely saw any Roos in the NT, but more cattle and no self respecting Dingo would be seen in public let alone wearing someone's clothes ...

Merry Christmas all :)
I can remember when NT had no speed limit. Went on a holiday from Vic. to Alice Springs and Ayres Rock etc. I recall crossing the border from SA to NT and going as fast as I felt safe to do. That was early 90s.

The only thing that slowed my speed was how quickly the fuel gauge fell.

The road, sooo long and sooo much —- nothing. And corners barely detectable from a straight road.
IMO the road toll probably went up with the lowering of the speed limit because people went to sleep from boredom.

“When the place you live becomes Macan GTS unfriendly !”

Sorry that the news on the link below are in French, but roughly what it says is that the canton of Geneva wants to equip its police corps with “noise radars”, aiming at fighting “noise pollution”, or in other words, fining noisy cars. It doesn’t tell what a noisy car is, but it talks about, ahem, waking up the neighbors. Oops, PSE, anyone? It was perfectly legal in Switzerland when I bought my GTS, so I hope they don’t give me trouble because of its sound.

https://www.rts.ch/info/regions/gen...t-pour-lutter-contre-la-pollution-sonore.html

Here in Queensland, Australia , we have some interesting penalties as well. Some years back anti hooning laws were passed ( anti social behaviour in a motor). This can include but not limited to excessive noise, exhaust or music, excessive acceleration, car lowered too far, intentional loss of traction ( wheel spinning) the list goes on.

So excessive noise can be a fine and points or excessive noise- hooning, vastly different fine. An example from government web site, “ Failing to drive without due care and attention “ $130.55 per penalty unit, maximum 40 penalty units -$5222 or 6 months jail. 2nd offence car impounded for 3 months and you pay the storage fee.
3rd offence car seized and crushed.

I haven’t been able to find any determination as to when speeding is just speeding, points and fine depending on speed above the signed limit or speeding/ hooning.

Hmm, @Brishoca an interesting speculation on the boredom of long straight roads at slower speeds and one I tend to share. My experience suggests there is more to it, I did note that way out and up there in the north, there are a lot of drivers who like to think they have a priority over others. Many a time I would wait cued up behind the long road train and when it came my turn to go I would look in my mirror to find some 'king or queen of the road' who was already over the unbroken line and coming full steam from up the back of the queue - 'get out of my way fools, I'm comin' through!'

But it's not just that, it's more a state of selfish ignorance. I see it daily, I walk down a windy road to the local shops and 9 out of 10 drivers completely ignores the unbroken centre lines - it seems it's easier to cut the corners, you get there faster and it's less effort. Pity they don't make a detector for attitude and laziness.

As @ABusLux indicated above and @Brishoca commented, governments suggest they are going to chase noise pollution from motor vehicles, a good principle. But, I am yet to see any effective policing of the rule - it might catch the odd young 'hoon' pulled late at night, for being there. But, it misses the other 95% of the cause, because the Police are too short staffed and too busy doing other things around here. There are no automatic 'noise radars' that can do the job, unless the good folk in Geneva have developed one, I am guessing such a device is a noise impulse meter held by a police officer.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.