Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I have my build down exactly as I want it (still waiting for the test drive before giving the final go-ahead); but cannot decide between the 19' and 20' wheels.

Besides aesthetics, (am torn between the 19' Macan and the 20 RS Spyder), any other reason to choose between the two?
Am assuming there is better grip with the 20's.

Any info/opinions would be appreciated (though not always heeded :D)

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Pretty much just aesthetics. 20's are a little wider but also heavier. In my opinion, given the way the market is these days the 19's will look too small on the Macan.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I'm also torn, I like both the 19 Design and the 20 SportDesign wheels. I actually like the look of the Design wheel a bit more (on the configurator at least), but I have 19s on my 958 and in retrospect, wish I went 20s. I will prob go 20 if I move to the Macan. Really also love the look of the 21 Turbo wheels, but would prefer an all season tire.

Another thing to consider is tire replacement and availability. Folks in the 958 mentioned there are better options in the 20s vs. 19s. I'm close to new tires, but not there yet. Not sure if this will hold true on the Macan's staggered front and rears.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I'm coming from the exact same set-up on my Jeep, staggered 20's in 9 and 10 inch. Finding tires is not too bad, although it is easier to bring them in from the states. Better to go with cheap 9 inch rims all the way around for snow tires and not risk damaging the stock rims. Also not being able to rotate sucks a little, they do wear faster.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just great, I had decided to go for the 19's (based on the fact that I think they have a Lowe sidewall and less likely to rupture in the potholed filled mess that the NE USA becomes in winter) and now you've all got me thinking about the 20's again

Do none of you care about my bank balance?

Though would have thought that if the 20's work for the 958, 19's would have been the natural fit on the Macan.

Interestingly most of the shots you see of the Macan from Posrche are with the Sypder. It's like they know something.

·
Registered
972 Posts
20" will come with tiny sacrifices in ride comfort, rolling noise and fuel economy. If you were ever wondering why the Macan fuel economy is quoted as a range, it is because the better figure is only achieved with 19" wheels.

The 18" and 19" are 235/255 front/rear, whereas the 20" and 21" wheels are 265/295.

Also adding to appearance, 20/21" wheels stick out 8mm further at the front and 15mm further at the rear :)

20" spyders are my favourite but I will pass on them for now as I can definitely add new wheels later. must... resist....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am considering 18" as a no cost option - better ride and less chance of rim damage on Australia's poorly maintained and potholded roads.

Downsides would be looks and I suspect difficult if you tried to sell the car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am considering 18" as a no cost option - better ride and less chance of rim damage on Australia's poorly maintained and potholded roads.

Luke I think 19's will be fine on our roads. I have them on my Evoque and have travelled lots of country roads with no issues and find them a good compromise between practicality and looks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would love to have the 20" Spyder wheels, but, as a matter of practicality the selection of 19" tires right now is vastly cheaper than the 20" tires. We have not ordered a track car, therefore, I believe the Macan S we have ordered is fine with the much more affordable 19" wheels and tires. Check out tirerack.com before ordering the 20" spyder wheels and tires!

·
Registered
972 Posts

I think 19" will be fine. There is still 12cm of rubber between rim and tarmac, this isn't a little hatchback running 19" wheels and only 6cm of rubber (like my golf R).

Also the 19" wheels are 0.5dB quieter than the 18" :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
So will 21 wheels be better for handling but harder ride than 19 and 20s?
They will ride harder, and will feel more direct/responsive, but you most probably won't be going any faster :)

Tiretrack.com does appear to have some decent options though their 20' selection isn't that much cheaper

So now that I have decided on the 19' - do I save that money or go with Air Suspension? Must. resist!!!
I can only seem to find 1 matching 20" set - Pirelli P Zero Rosses @ $1398. Whereas I can find 9 19" sets ranging from $678 to $1144. The LA launch photos show the 20" wheels shod with Michelin Latitude tyres though, but we don't know how much they'll cost. If we pick the 19" Contis ($876) then you're looking at paying an extra $500 or so every 2 years.

Air suspension I have read many times is a "must". I am most probably going to get it - there have been many times in/around Sydney where I wish I had a limo / S-class / hovercraft

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have decided for the 20 inch Sport Design wheels for summer. The decision points were the driving comfort and on the other the look/style. The RS Spyder wheels are too difficult to clean and the 21 inch rims are optically "too much", the tire price is high and the ride comfort is less good. The Porsche dealer will offer a special-priced winter tire set at November 2014, so I will probably buy additional 18-inch wheels as winter tires.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If we pick the 19" Contis ($876) then you're looking at paying an extra $500 or so every 2 years.

Air suspension I have read many times is a "must". I am most probably going to get it - there have been many times in/around Sydney where I wish I had a limo / S-class / hovercraft

Why $500 every 2 years - is that how often the wheels require replacing?

As for the Air Suspension, it seems to be more of a ride height thing for off roading and loading; am uncertain how much it adds to ride quality over and above the PASM adjustments.
It does sound awesomely cool though and that's why I am tempted.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Why $500 every 2 years - is that how often the wheels require replacing?

As for the Air Suspension, it seems to be more of a ride height thing for off roading and loading; am uncertain how much it adds to ride quality over and above the PASM adjustments.
It does sound awesomely cool though and that's why I am tempted.
Rough guesstimate... with my driving my tyres only last about 20000 km which is 2 years for me :) I just mean $500 per {period of time that your tyres will last you}

I used to think AS was just about going off-road but reading some back-to-back spring-vs-air reviews of the Cayenne, the AS does appear to smooth out those jiggly roads and there are a lot of those where I live. I also plan to take the car interstate and even to wine country in the same state where there are potholes over 1m long and 20cm deep. I thought about buying a second car (tall floaty 4wd) for these trips but if I can pay <$5k and have that waftability on my main car, then I'm all for it :)

I did read that the downside is a slight compromise in handling when doing quick left/right turns e.g. slalom. But how often do I do that??

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have decided for the 20 inch Sport Design wheels for summer. The decision points were the driving comfort and on the other the look/style. The RS Spyder wheels are too difficult to clean and the 21 inch rims are optically "too much", the tire price is high and the ride comfort is less good. The Porsche dealer will offer a special-priced winter tire set at November 2014, so I will probably buy additional 18-inch wheels as winter tires.
I too chose the RS Spyder wheels with summer tires on the Turbo, but for the following reasons:
(1) They are painted dark grey on the inner rim, which will go nicely with the Agate Grey exterior colour of the car itself,
(2) They will be easier (not more difficult) to clean because of the dark painted inner rim,
(3) The polished machined surfaces of the spokes will also be easy to clean, and will contrast very nicely with the monochrome option.
A set of dedicated smaller wheels and tires for winter driving will be required though - 20" winter tires are too wide IMO.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.