Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has encountered interference with the fender using wheel spacers and the air suspension system? I've seen everything from 10 - 15 mm on the rear and was curious before deciding what size I wanted to use.

Mine is a 2021 Macan GTS with 20" tires.

Thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just curious if anyone has encountered interference with the fender using wheel spacers and the air suspension system? I've seen everything from 10 - 15 mm on the rear and was curious before deciding what size I wanted to use.

Mine is a 2021 Macan GTS with 20" tires.

Thanks
Jamie
I have 2018 gts air suspension, 10mm spacers front and 12mm rear. No problems.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I sent you a PM

·
Supporting Vendor
761 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume the longer bolts come with the kit? What about wheel locks on the longer bolt? Is that something that is also available with this kit?

Thanks and love the look of adding the spacers to the standard GTS.
Jamie

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do understand why adding track would in theory improve handling, but how noticeable is the improvement actually?

Is there any downside to using spacers? Does it put any more stress on other vehicle components?

·
Supporting Vendor
761 Posts
I do understand why adding track would in theory improve handling, but how noticeable is the improvement actually?

Is there any downside to using spacers? Does it put any more stress on other vehicle components?
It's a very modest movement to the track so not going to be significant. It won't put any additional stress on the the vehicle's components. Our kit includes strengthened extended bolts.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S
245 Posts
I have 2020 S with AS. I used Flat6 spacers 10/12mm F/R with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have a 2015 Macan S with air suspension, which I lowered by 20mm using PIWIS. I also have the Flat6 spacers (10mm front / 12mm rear). No interference, it just looks amazing, more aggressive. Highly recommended, and the Flat6 people are great too!

with my winter tires (20”)...

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, all of these look great. I will be ordering the Flat6 10/12 for my '21 Macan GTS asap. Thanks for everyone's input.
Jamie

·
Registered
171 Posts
DIdn't realize you had spacers @Santirx . Since you go through the same MA winters, any feedback in regards to chips/dings on the rear door/quarter due to debris from the wheels being spaced out further from the fenders? That was one of the main reasons that kept me from considering them in the other threads. I remember one of the members showed his rear door almost sandblasted looking!

Also -- I think the consensus is that we would waive the ability to use wheel locks with the spacers too?

Reactions: HymieP

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
DIdn't realize you had spacers @Santirx . Since you go through the same MA winters, any feedback in regards to chips/dings on the rear door/quarter due to debris from the wheels being spaced out further from the fenders? That was one of the main reasons that kept me from considering them in the other threads. I remember one of the members showed his rear door almost sandblasted looking!

Also -- I think the consensus is that we would waive the ability to use wheel locks with the spacers too?
I’ve had no issues of that sort... so far. Front spacer takes wheel out 10mm... so, little material difference in my view. I used to have a black Audi A5 with 15mm spacers in the front and 30mm in the back. Those wheels were really flushed agains the fender. Used it through many winters in Upstate New York and Massachussets. No issues with sandblasting.

These 10/12mm spacers still leave the wheels a little tucked in within the fender, is not truly flushed.

Again, I don’t want to say this will not happen in the future, it just not happened to my Macan so far.

I have heard about this, though. I have thought about installing some clear wrapping in the potential impact area, but not done it yet.

As far as the wheel locks, I guess that’s accurate. I never had wheel locks, hence I used the provided screws from Flat6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts

Agree - looks much better, BUT be aware that the use of spacers does increase the stress on suspension components. This could affect your warranty if you have an issue that Porsche can argure relates to that increased stress.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fast Eddie, I am the newbie in this discussion with my first Porsche now on order, but not new to modifications and upgrades to muscle cars. How much stress will 10/12 spacers vs. stock GTS setup? I mean, any engineers have any input on this discussion, because I'm not seeing the issue. Now if we were talking 20/30's or something really aggressive like that, yes.

Once again, I'm the new guy just asking.

Thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
242 Posts
There is no doubt that it will increase stresses. Whether it will do so to any extent that causes an issue is not the main point that I was trying to make - if you have an issue that Porsche can argue is not warranty because you have modified that part of the car, then good luck in arguing against Porsche engineers. Its just a risk that I thought should be pointed out as something for consideration.
I have worked as an engineer in the auto industry for some years and designed and built suspension systems (as a hobby) for race cars, but more salient is a lot of experience with warranty and contract issues and that is the main point i was trying to make. I make no judgement on whether it is something you should do or not do - simply making a point that is worth considering as well IMO.

·
Supporting Vendor
761 Posts
Just for reference, Porsche put wheel spacers on the 997 GT3 from the factory. We've never seen any adverse effect when running spacers with quality bolts. Typically on older vehicles, bushings and mounts will wear before any suspension component breaks. I'm not sure we've ever seen something break on a Porsche suspension outside of something from heavy track use. Perhaps an end-link. Anyways, if you're concerned about warranty, certainly speak with your dealership. Most dealers are interested in long-term relationships and Porsche is generally pretty friendly with resolving issues. We've had several clients with pretty modified/tuned vehicles have powertrain items replace under TSB/warranty. Certainly, you should feel comfortable about anything you put on your vehicle, I just wanted to share some perspective.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts