Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When im on the highway going 75 mph, i notice my oil temp gets up to 229F and when cruising around town the temp gets to about 217-219.

I feel like 229 is extremely hot to be traveling at for long distances.

What are your oil temps when cruising on the highway in normal mode?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The highest I’ve noticed mine is 210.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
On a 100F day climbing long hills on the highway my Macan S's oil temp gets to 210-220F. On normal day it is around 200F.

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
I hope you all realize this data means nothing unless you know the engine your using and whether or not your in normal mode or sport(+). If you are in sport(+) it changes everything.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine ranges from 210-225 and this is in the Normal PDK program. I notice the ambient temperature has an effect on the oil temp with higher ambient temps (e.g. 70's up to 90's), increasing the oil temp substantially. Once my oil temp increases to about 212 or over, I notice the PDK downshifts from 2nd to 1st very hard and clunks. It sounds like metal clanking and the whole car jerks/bucks forward. When putting my car into Sport program, the oil temp remains a consistent 205 no matter what the ambient temp is or how hard I drive. I started a thread on this but have not gotten to the bottom of what is going on. My dealer says they cannot detect a problem. I wouldn't be concerned about the oil temp variation unless you notice a difference in performance related to the oil temp. For me, there is a direct correlation and it's very concerning.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im in New England so go through the four seasons and mine is pretty much always exactly 220F at full operating temperature in Comfort Mode, and 200F in Sport Mode. Same whether it is 15F degrees outside or 90F, from my experience. The computer does a really good job keeping those temperature points depending on the mode selected.

So anyway -- I agree that 229F for cruising around seems higher than it should be.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I hope you all realize this data means nothing unless you know the engine your using and whether or not your in normal mode or sport(+). If you are in sport(+) it changes everything.
"When im on the highway going 75 mph, i notice my oil temp gets up to 229F and when cruising around town the temp gets to about 217-219. "

Hey again Grim,

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's not cruising down the highway at 75mph in 4th gear, or running around town in 2nd, which is the ONLY way Sport+ mode would affect oil temps. Even beating on it in S+ mode/high RPM, have YOU seen those kinds of temps? Because I haven't, and I have done just that.

I would also argue that no matter the engine type, that is about 30F above normal operating temps for a Macan Base, S, GTS, or Turbo.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I have the opposite problem....my 20S oil temperature takes forever to get to even 180F and I'm in Florida where it's 70F or above most of the time. The Audi engine in the 20 is very different than the Porsche engine in the 17. On longer trips the oil temp does run at 200/210F, but it takes about 20 minutes of driving to get close to that level.

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
"When im on the highway going 75 mph, i notice my oil temp gets up to 229F and when cruising around town the temp gets to about 217-219. "I would also argue that no matter the engine type, that is about 30F above normal operating temps for a Macan Base, S, GTS, or Turbo.
I did not imply or state that 229 was not anomalous. I said

this data means nothing unless you know the engine your using and whether or not your in normal mode or sport(
With 200,000+ Macans sold, two different production cycles, and six different engines now, and the fact sport does matter as #9 observed, and you can observe just idling how the oil temp drops just turning it on, any kind of statistical data is going to need to know exactly the parameters being discussed. Half these engines aren't even Porsche engines. I seek to make the information relevant to all members. Knowing what we are dealing with matters to the general population.

BTW, if the OP takes it to a dealer, you can already guess the answer - "Its normal" although perhaps the grill shutters aren't working, which has been noted in many threads here over the years, a known problem.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright so it looks like my macan does have an issue. The active grille shutters are not opening and it seems they have failed. I drove about 50 miles at 75 mph (Comfort mode, 7th gear, taking it easy) and oil temps at 223-229 again. Im in south Florida where the temp today is 80 degrees. Not hot enough to warrant the issue.

But i think i found the root cause. The active grille shutters are not working. After my 50 mile drive, i put the car in park while still running to see if the shutters are operating. I even put it in sport mode too after i saw they were not open. Sport mode, still closed. I already replaced the grill motor once before so i left that out on my initial investigation items. But thats the cause of the oil over temps. After ripping off the bumper and the grille assembly last time to replace the motor, id prefer not to do that again. Looks like round 2 on this one.

I am however, curious to see what everybody else's oil temps are. Just as a data gathering point for my mind. @grim is there a way i can add in a poll to my thread after its been created?

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
Alright so it looks like my macan does have an issue. The active grille shutters are not opening and it seems they have failed. I drove about 50 miles at 75 mph (Comfort mode, 7th gear, taking it easy) and oil temps at 223-229 again. Im in south Florida where the temp today is 80 degrees. Not hot enough to warrant the issue.

But i think i found the root cause. The active grille shutters are not working. After my 50 mile drive, i put the car in park while still running to see if the shutters are operating. I even put it in sport mode too after i saw they were not open. Sport mode, still closed. I already replaced the grill motor once before so i left that out on my initial investigation items. But thats the cause of the oil over temps. After ripping off the bumper and the grille assembly last time to replace the motor, id prefer not to do that again. Looks like round 2 on this one.

I am however, curious to see what everybody else's oil temps are. Just as a data gathering point for my mind. @grim is there a way i can add in a poll to my thread after its been created?
Yeah, you did here Grill louver motor

No sorry, neither can I. But you can start a new thread and just create a poll.

·
Registered
838 Posts
2017 GTS in Dallas/Ft Worth TX... comfort mode... approx 210-219 and I’ve seen a few 220s. Sport mode - approx 196-200.

Edit: what do I see 80%-90% of the time every day in comfort? About 215-217.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
If the grille louvres failed to operate, wouldn’t there be an error message?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the grille louvres failed to operate, wouldn’t there be an error message?
Not one that pops up in the pcm. I did run the codes for fun today while troubleshooting and did see the active grille shutter fault code. But it never gave me a message in the car screens.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
So there is a fault code but it just didn’t show up on the message.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts