Porsche Macan Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
The best way to decide if you want/need the maintenance plan is to give your dealership's service dept. a call and get quotes for each required maintenance interval. Add it up and see how much you'd save if you purchased the plan. With my vehicle, if I purchase the 20K plan ( I don't intend to keep it past that), I save $80. I would assume that there would be a savings at each service. In addition, the plan is transferable to the next owner; although I don't think it will affect a trade/resale value. Personally, I wouldn't buy it beyond the time from when you want to sell it-- it won't really be a selling point. Remember what you said, " I purchased both for my Audi and didn't end up using either and canceling it/getting a prorated refund back". That pretty much answers your question.
With respect to tire plan...unless you're planning on have several flats I don't see how it wouldn't be a waste of money. Personally, I haven't had a flat in over 15 or more years. But, if CA is as bad as you say, then it may be a good idea for you. Again, call service and get out-of-pocket quotes on tires/installation.
Good call - will do that and thank you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Picking up my car on Monday night and today talked with the finance person and at the end started offering me
all these extras on top...I don't recall all of them or the exact name.

Service for the next 5 years was about $4,200
Extended Warranty to 10 years 100,000 miles $4,300
Tire & Rim Warranty cheap like $12 a month..if you blow a tire or tear up a rim they replace it.
Dent repair only covers 4" or less and they basically pull them back into place
Interior warranty..any spills, rips or tears they fix

Sil Film on rear for $76
They also do the same to protect the front in a wrap that also self heals for $220

I think that is all they offered maybe missing 1 I think...

What did you do or what do you suggest I do?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Picking up my car on Monday night and today talked with the finance person and at the end started offering me
all these extras on top...I don't recall all of them or the exact name.

Service for the next 5 years was about $4,200
Extended Warranty to 10 years 100,000 miles $4,300
Tire & Rim Warranty cheap like $12 a month..if you blow a tire or tear up a rim they replace it.
Dent repair only covers 4" or less and they basically pull them back into place
Interior warranty..any spills, rips or tears they fix

Sil Film on rear for $76
They also do the same to protect the front in a wrap that also self heals for $220

I think that is all they offered maybe missing 1 I think...

What did you do or what do you suggest I do?
I picked up my car last week and it was clear that I wanted to be in and out as soon as possible and so I did not even meet with the finance people and just signed the papers and left and so was offered nothing - the only upside to Corona

That being said you will get many opinions on the above.

I personally do not like paying for anything that kicks in in the future as I do not know for sure how long I will keep any given car and I do not believe that you make your money back on resale just because you have the attached services. If you know for sure that you will keep the car for an extended interval then the service contract might be reasonable but try and negotiate price. As to the extended warranty again some believe in it some believe in self insuring and investing that $4300. You can always buy a warranty when the factory one is about to expire and then you will know if you are keeping the car. Again it might cost a little more at that stage but at least you will know if you are keeping the car.
Tire and Rim depends on your rims and where you drive. If you have 21 inch rims and you drive in NJ that is different to 18 inch rims and driving in a non pothole ridden state. That one is one that I generally take. I took it on my boxster with larger rims but on my Macan I have 18" and even though I am in NJ I think an 18" can handle it
The rest I would forgo.

·
Registered
2020 Macan Night Blue Metallic black interior
13 Posts
The only thing offered me this week when I picked up the car was wheel and tire protection because I drive +20k miles a year. I said no. Got the all weather mats for free.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Other things they offered
Paint Protection against tree sap and other
Gap Insurance

I have 21" rims and will be living in NH so there will be some dirt roads and was told potholes. Will be driving a lot
within a 5-6 hour radius so some of the other things seem justifiable

·
Registered
75 Posts
is there anywhere online to confirm the additional protection you purchased on the car. Tried logging onto Porsche website and couldn't find anything.

I purchase tire, wheel and the finance manager threw in dent as well during negotiations. I don't see the dent specifically called out on the contract so just want to make sure it's actually there....

If not available online, who should I call

·
Registered
481 Posts
is there anywhere online to confirm the additional protection you purchased on the car. Tried logging onto Porsche website and couldn't find anything.

I purchase tire, wheel and the finance manager threw in dent as well during negotiations. I don't see the dent specifically called out on the contract so just want to make sure it's actually there....

These are not Porsche offerings but from the dealer so ask them for copies of the agreements. I had the tire and wheel policy but don't remember anything about dent coverage. The tire/wheel coverage was through Master Tech.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

As @jeffbtx noted above, the additional protection packages that dealers offer are just third-party offerings, and the dealer will of course get a cut of the sale. At the time of purchase, you should have received booklets or other (written) descriptions of coverage, along with a receipt for your purchase.

Being provided by third-parties, such coverage should be not be linked in any way to the selling dealership, except that you may get less of a hassle, easier claim filing, that sort of thing, if you later avail yourself of that coverage at that selling dealer.

I just took a few pics of what I am talking about (click for larger images), the sort of paperwork you should have received:

2020-05-10_12-51-25.JPG 2020-05-10_12-52-15.JPG 2020-05-10_12-52-54.JPG

On a personal note, my wife and I purchased a couple of policies at our local dealership, shortly after driving home from the Atlanta PEC. We did NOT buy the car from this local dealership, but I did want to throw them a few bones, for the potential of reasonable treatment over our course of ownership, during service, etc.

Further, we typically keep cars for a long time, so these policies make a little more sense to us than to folks who trade in cars every couple of years. As it turns out, about a year ago, we did go to that dealer for a tiny, almost invisible, ding. That was fixed there, via their paintless dent remover guy; it was free, because of one of those policies, and probably because we bought the policy there the service manager said that he'd take care of the paperwork for me, I didn't even have to sign anything, fill out anything, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
These are not Porsche offerings but from the dealer so ask them for copies of the agreements. I had the tire and wheel policy but don't remember anything about dent coverage. The tire/wheel coverage was through Master Tech.
As @jeffbtx noted above, the additional protection packages that dealers offer are just third-party offerings, and the dealer will of course get a cut of the sale. At the time of purchase, you should have received booklets or other (written) descriptions of coverage, along with a receipt for your purchase.

Being provided by third-parties, such coverage should be not be linked in any way to the selling dealership, except that you may get less of a hassle, easier claim filing, that sort of thing, if you later avail yourself of that coverage at that selling dealer.

I just took a few pics of what I am talking about (click for larger images), the sort of paperwork you should have received:

View attachment 231081 View attachment 231082 View attachment 231083

On a personal note, my wife and I purchased a couple of policies at our local dealership, shortly after driving home from the Atlanta PEC. We did NOT buy the car from this local dealership, but I did want to throw them a few bones, for the potential of reasonable treatment over our course of ownership, during service, etc.

Further, we typically keep cars for a long time, so these policies make a little more sense to us than to folks who trade in cars every couple of years. As it turns out, about a year ago, we did go to that dealer for a tiny, almost invisible, ding. That was fixed there, via their paintless dent remover guy; it was free, because of one of those policies, and probably because we bought the policy there the service manager said that he'd take care of the paperwork for me, I didn't even have to sign anything, fill out anything, etc.
Thanks to you both - I actually saw the agreement stating the Porsche Silver Protection Program which includes tire, wheel and dent. Looks like it is coverage provided from Safe-Guard Products International but am pretty sure when I purchased they stated that any of the services I could just have done at any Porsche dealership (ie. small dent less than 4 inches, curbed rim, etc..). For members here who have utilized their protection pacakge, has this been your experience? Thanks wspollack for sharing a data point.

I noticed a small door dent on rear door - likely from another car. Pretty minor but want to have it taken care of... especially since I purchased the protection pkg.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts