Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I don't have a problem with pre-paid maintenance. I get the dealership to give me a final price. I hem and haw . . . even if I think the price is good . . . and then I say, "Okay, if you will give me a free maintenance plan I'll do it."

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
The dealers don’t know when the cars will arrive on the truck..... not their issue....as far as I know.

.5% on a a 3% loan isn’t small....on a 10% loan .... OK

A lie is a lie.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Prepaid Maintenance Deals

I am curious about the pre-paid maintenance plans
1) Are there different packages?
2) Does each Porsche dealer have different rates for the same packages or are the rates the same across all P dealerships?
3) Does anybody have any recommendation on the best deal they have received? I assume you can use it across any P dealer in the US?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up our previously ordered 2019 Macan S. I had decided not to get the Porsche Prepaid Maintenance as our dealer gives us 10% off for PCA members. I asked a service consultant if it was worth getting the Prepaid Maintenance since I get the extra % off. He said “6 of one or 1/2 dozen”. Took the chance and asked the finance manager if they would discount the Prepaid Maintenance. I saw the usual 4+ number on her sheet. She said they have a $600 profit it it. I asked for 10% off and was able to get it. This way the price increases for P&L for my purchased vehicle will be negated. I have a 2013 991.1 and know the dealer’s prices for maintenance car (bought as CPO with 3k miles in 2014) have gone up!

·
Registered
242 Posts
With our dealer they offered, as they like to call it "7 benefits" :laugh:

1. GAP Insurance
2. Maintenance Plan
3. Extended warranty
4. Windshield Protection
5. Dent Protection
6. Tire/Wheel protection
7. Interior protection

We only picked GAP and we can cancel that anytime and have them prorated it back to us.

·
Registered
234 Posts
With our dealer they offered, as they like to call it "7 benefits" :laugh:

1. GAP Insurance
2. Maintenance Plan
3. Extended warranty
4. Windshield Protection
5. Dent Protection
6. Tire/Wheel protection
7. Interior protection

We only picked GAP and we can cancel that anytime and have them prorated it back to us.

I don't remember being offered "interior protection", is that in case someone Sharts in it?:eek:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yesterday I went in to drop off a check so I'd have tags and registration in time for the PEC in a couple weeks.

My goal is to get in and out as fast as possible. I did, however, make them a killer offer on my old car . . . . if they'd taken it they could have scored about a $5k profit in a couple days. I wanted to see what they'd do and all they had to do was get me a loaner to get to and from the farm until Monday. They hemmed and hawed . . . "wished we'd known in advance" . . "we have a tough time finding loaners" . . . I essentially want to give them a chance to show me what doing business with them, in the years ahead, would be like. They did . . . and I'll find somewhere else.

They offered me some sort of a pre-paid maintenance which I had no interest in . . . .then they coughed up the 3 years of "wheel and tire protection" for a cool $3,000 which was about as appealing as chewing steel wool.

Guy told me "you've overpaid boy $71.46" . . . I said "great chance for you to throw in a seat of all weather mats" . . "we don't give ANYTHING away".

No we know the rules . . .

I'm excited about the PEC . . . the folks there have been nothing short of delightful and helpful. We're going to spend a couple days and play . . . they go a wandering for a bit.

She's been through lots of Porsches . . this is my first. Looking forward to the experience.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
They offered me some sort of a pre-paid maintenance which I had no interest in . . . .then they coughed up the 3 years of "wheel and tire protection" for a cool $3,000 which was about as appealing as chewing steel wool.

Guy told me "you've overpaid boy $71.46" . . . I said "great chance for you to throw in a seat of all weather mats" . . "we don't give ANYTHING away".
Sometimes I really detest dealing with the sales people, but I just let them say their spiel, then tell them what I'm willing to pay or do.

Just for reference, last year I received 10% off MSRP on my ordered 2018 GTS, top dollar for my Mercedes C450 trade, free OEM all-weather floor mats, and an additional year of free maintenance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Porsche Vehicle Service Protection (VSP)

As the car that I have ordered is slowly making its way north in the waters of Baja California, on the vehicles carrier ship Thruxton, the time will come soon when I will have to go into the dealership here in northern California to pay for the car. I am sure that I will be offered various insurance options for the car. The one that I need advice on is whether or not to take out the Porsche Vehicle Service Protection policy. We tend to keep our cars for around 7 - 8 years, so the extended warranty seems like a good idea. The question is: how negotiable is the price the dealer offers for the PVS policy? I have a quote from Mercury for their MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) 7 years and 100,000 miles, platinum level with special electronics package for $3,624. Does anyone know how much the Porsche Platinum plan costs? And for those who have taken out the PVS policy, how did that work for you?

I have looked into Geico, but at least here in California, they cannot write the minimum $500k covered in each category that my umbrella policy requires. So no go for their MBI rider.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
As the car that I have ordered is slowly making its way north in the waters of Baja California, on the vehicles carrier ship Thruxton, the time will come soon when I will have to go into the dealership here in northern California to pay for the car. I am sure that I will be offered various insurance options for the car. The one that I need advice on is whether or not to take out the Porsche Vehicle Service Protection policy. We tend to keep our cars for around 7 - 8 years, so the extended warranty seems like a good idea. The question is: how negotiable is the price the dealer offers for the PVS policy? I have a quote from Mercury for their MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) 7 years and 100,000 miles, platinum level with special electronics package for $3,624. Does anyone know how much the Porsche Platinum plan costs? And for those who have taken out the PVS policy, how did that work for you?

I have looked into Geico, but at least here in California, they cannot write the minimum $500k covered in each category that my umbrella policy requires. So no go for their MBI rider.
Service and warranty are two different deals. The former covers stuff like oil changes and the latter things that break. I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What the VSP coverage provides

Service and warranty are two different deals. The former covers stuff like oil changes and the latter things that break. I think you are comparing apples to oranges.
Here is what the VSP is:

Porsche Vehicle Service Protection
Coverage exclusions may apply:4
• Mechanical breakdowns covered by your
vehicle’s manufacturer’s warranty
• Mechanical breakdowns caused by
accident, collision, vandalism, or weatherrelated
conditions
• Mechanical breakdowns caused by lack of
recommended maintenance or preexisting
conditions
Covered components.
Not only does Porsche Vehicle Service Protection
Platinum Plan expand the coverage for the
service of major components, we also cover an
extensive range of genuine Porsche parts.
Engine, Transmission, Drive Axle
Including manual and automatic transmissions,
rear-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
Climate Control
Including air conditioning and heater components.
Shocks, Front and Rear Suspension
Including suspension bushings and bearings.
Steering and Brakes
Including power steering and Anti-lock Brake
System (ABS) components.
Fuel Systems, Electrical Systems
Including fuel injection, sensors, and power
windows and seats.
Navigation, Audio, High-Tech
Including navigation display and Bluetooth®.
4 Additional exclusions may apply. Please see your agreement for specific coverage details, including limitations and a complete list
of exclusions.
1Vehicle Service Protection coverage runs concurrently with any applicable manufacturer's warranties.
2Any necessary replacements will be made using genuine Porsche new or remanufactured parts, or Porsche-approved parts.
3Due to a covered Mechanical Breakdown.
Expand your coverage, effortlessly.
Porsche Vehicle Service Protection (VSP) delivers
benefits beyond the high standards set by the
Porsche factory warranty program, with coverage
options up to 10 years or 100,000 miles.1
Pay nothing on covered repairs other than the
deductible you select.
Comprehensive protection,
personalized for you.
Your authorized Porsche dealer will guide you
through two available plans to help you determine
which best suits your needs.
Powertrain and Platinum Plans
Component Group Powertrain Platinum
Engine • •
Transmission • •
Drive Axle • •
Seals and Gaskets • •
Climate Control •
Shocks •
Suspension •
Fuel System •
Electrical System •
Steering •
Brakes •
Navigation •
Audio/ High-tech •
Available on new, pre-owned, and Certified
Pre-Owned Porsche vehicles at the time
of purchase or lease. Also available after
vehicle purchase or lease if the vehicle is
still covered under the manufacturer's newvehicle
limited warranty.
Service you can trust.
Parts you can count on.
You will receive genuine Porsche parts2 and
superior service designed specifically for your
vehicle.
• Nationwide service available at all participating,
authorized Porsche dealers or other authorized
repair facilities
• 24-hour roadside assistance with enhanced
roadside benefits
• Reimbursement of up to $250 for towing to
your nearest authorized Porsche dealer or
authorized service provider3
• Rental car reimbursement of up to $50 per
day for up to 10 days, if required3
• Trip interruption coverage of up to $200 per
day for a maximum of 5 days, if required for
a total benefit of $1,000 per occurrence3
• A $100 deductible or $250 deductible per
claim applies. The $100 deductible is waived if
repairs are performed at the selling dealer
• Transferable for a $50 fee if you sell your
vehicle to a private party
Coverage
4 yr / 50,000 mi VSP Coverage

·
Registered
87 Posts
Extended Warranty

Ordered a 2020 Macan S and just received confirmation of LA PEC delivery on 9/17. Will drive ~8,000 miles per year and plan to keep it for 4/5 years. Can’t decide if I should buy extended warranty for resell reasons? Appreciate any information regarding extended warranty.
Thank.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My SA submitted my order on 5/16 and the vehicle went into production on 5/20 and completed on 5/31. Initially it was scheduled to ship to US on 7/11. It delayed for two weeks because Porsche didn’t want to release 2020 models before 8/25. I guess holding it in Germany is less expensive than holding it in US. Adding three more weeks for LA PEC delivery.

From what I gathered from my SA, normally it will take 3 months from the time your order is submitted to the time of delivery. In your case it takes one more month because of factory closure in August. That should put your delivery date in November. Also when you placed your order with the dealer in June 29, they may not have the allocation or waiting for allocation from Porsche therefore they couldn’t submit it right away. It’s all about timing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have my dealer email me all the paperwork prior, so that I don't have to stress with last minute add-on $.
This is a great suggestion! I didn't know you could do that. Live and learn ( and taking notes!). I hate to sit and listen to a pitch for all the products I am not going to buy. This sound like a polite way to escape that part of the process.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Negotiating with my dealer now for pick-up this weekend.

"Their offer: $2800 for 4 years unlimited flats and wheel repairs. If they can’t fix the wheel they will replace it. I 100% recommend specially here in California the roads are horrible. Maintenance is $4,500 and you will be cover up to the 40k mile service or the 4th year."

Thoughts? I'm thinking of buying it later or not at all. I purchased both for my Audi and didn't end up using either and canceling it/getting a prorated refund back. Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Negotiating with my dealer now for pick-up this weekend.

"Their offer: $2800 for 4 years unlimited flats and wheel repairs. If they can’t fix the wheel they will replace it. I 100% recommend specially here in California the roads are horrible. Maintenance is $4,500 and you will be cover up to the 40k mile service or the 4th year."

Thoughts? I'm thinking of buying it later or not at all. I purchased both for my Audi and didn't end up using either and canceling it/getting a prorated refund back. Thank you.
The best way to decide if you want/need the maintenance plan is to give your dealership's service dept. a call and get quotes for each required maintenance interval. Add it up and see how much you'd save if you purchased the plan. With my vehicle, if I purchase the 20K plan ( I don't intend to keep it past that), I save $80. I would assume that there would be a savings at each service. In addition, the plan is transferable to the next owner; although I don't think it will affect a trade/resale value. Personally, I wouldn't buy it beyond the time from when you want to sell it-- it won't really be a selling point. Remember what you said, " I purchased both for my Audi and didn't end up using either and canceling it/getting a prorated refund back". That pretty much answers your question.
With respect to tire plan...unless you're planning on have several flats I don't see how it wouldn't be a waste of money. Personally, I haven't had a flat in over 15 or more years. But, if CA is as bad as you say, then it may be a good idea for you. Again, call service and get out-of-pocket quotes on tires/installation.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts