Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
@Neon21db Or if you are a SCUBA diver like me, get it from your dive shop for a few bucks.
Umm...dive shops don't have tanks of nitrogen. Nitrox is made either by adding oxygen to air or filtering nitrogen out of air. Not to mention is would be extremely irresponsible to fill a scuba tank with a poisonous gas (pure nitrogen).:eek:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Stopped by my dealer today to give them copies of my DL, insurance card, and registration (transfer from current vehicle) to smooth the "closing" process. SA handed me their list of add-ons to review.
In addition to all the items above, there are two things not listed:
Scheduled maintenance plan (not sure if this belongs on the list or not, but they're pushing it).
Safekey: Vehicle lock-out assistance, vehicle key replacement

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
Umm...dive shops don't have tanks of nitrogen. Nitrox is made either by adding oxygen to air or filtering nitrogen out of air. Not to mention is would be extremely irresponsible to fill a scuba tank with a poisonous gas (pure nitrogen).:eek:
You're right, not sure what the heck I was thinking. Total brainfart.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the list. That is exactly what I am looking for now (order just placed).

Before I placed the order with one dealer who has no such Phantom Print fee and document fee, the other dealer I talked to did have those two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I emailed my SA to ask about options, and he offered the local complete list, as:

Wheel and Tire Coverage
Paintless Dent Removal Coverage
Key Replacement Coverage
Windshield Protection
Extended Warranty

I think Key Replacement is the only I didn't see on this list.

I don't have pricing yet, as he said that varies by term and/or expected mileage.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Gap insurance
Tire and wheel protection
Prepaid service contract

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I emailed my SA to ask about options, and he offered the local complete list, as:

Wheel and Tire Coverage
Paintless Dent Removal Coverage
Key Replacement Coverage
Windshield Protection
Extended Warranty

I think Key Replacement is the only I didn't see on this list.

I don't have pricing yet, as he said that varies by term and/or expected mileage.
Be aware that most insurance policies cover the full cost of windshield replacements...check yours. If you buy wheel and tire, you must put on the same porsche supplied tires and it's not clear that if one tire needs replacement...do they replace the other tire on that axle because for antilock and various other things to work, both tires must be at the same level of wear. Paintless dent removal....check your local body shop to see how much it costs before you go for this....also check to see how big the dent has to be to be repaired under the policy.

Net....walk out without any of those extra cost dealer profit packs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Be aware that most insurance policies cover the full cost of windshield replacements...check yours. If you buy wheel and tire, you must put on the same porsche supplied tires and it's not clear that if one tire needs replacement...do they replace the other tire on that axle because for antilock and various other things to work, both tires must be at the same level of wear. Paintless dent removal....check your local body shop to see how much it costs before you go for this....also check to see how big the dent has to be to be repaired under the policy.

Net....walk out without any of those extra cost dealer profit packs.
Thanks for a nice summary of what most of my searching through the forums confirmed.

People have also generally noted that discounted tire coverage is readily available, and that most auto insurance policies should also cover wheels, so you would just pay your deductible.

If anything on the list I got, I'm just going to continue to research extended warranty options to see if there are betters deals outside the dealer with comparable coverage, and I may ask about prepaid maintenance options to determine if there's any value there.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
As far as wheels, most folks assume that if they damage their wheels, they will have to replace the entire wheel. Reality is that most damage to alloy wheels is repaired, not requiring replacement...at a small fraction of the cost of a new wheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Deceptive practices to sell Porsche financing

I will be taking delivery tomorrow and can't wait. However, I have to rant about what I perceive to be an unfair practice by the dealer. About the time the Macan was due to arrive in port, I called my dealer to ask for the VIN, so that I could arrange financing through my out-of-town FCU. He provided it, but after asking for the interest rate, said that Porsche could match and would I like to go with them. I said sure, assuming the rest of the terms were acceptable. He said he would get back to me with the terms, and that we had a couple of weeks until the car got to the dealership anyway. After five days of silence, I contacted him again for the terms, and he said surprise, the car is here. And that Porsche could not match the rate, but was 'only' 0.5% higher, and that it was only a few bucks a month, and that working with the dealership was a lot easier than working through a credit union, etc. And that the car was there, ready for me to drive home that day. After five months of waiting, it took all my restraint to say no, I will get the best financing deal. But boy was I mad that they pulled a fast one. I could have had the financing done and the check ready, but the offer of Porsche matching the rate made me delay. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but if future buyers are told that Porsche will get you a great rate, have them get the exact terms in writing immediately, or just continue with your own arrangements. This is my first Porsche, and in fact the first time I've ever financed a car, so maybe I'm naive, but this is a poor introduction to the brand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
1.) Scheduled Maintenance
2.) Tire and Wheel Protection
3.) Paintless Ding amd Dent
4.) Paint Protection Film
5.) Radar Detection / Jamming systems
6.) Xzilon Protection Plus
7.) Puddle lights
8.) LoJack
9.) Excess wear and tear

And misc
1.) Tint
2.) iPhone mirror on PCM

·
Registered
62 Posts
Chalk it up to experience. We were first time Porsche buyers last week. As a counter note, we arranged partial financing with our credit union. Dealer had no issue, did not even offer their own financing. We emailed them a copy of the loan check and cashiers check for the balance a couple days before delivery. No problems at delivery at all.

You could always play hard ball and ask them to throw in some freebies or threaten to ding them on the survey. Or let it go. Your call.

Don't let one bad dealer ruin the fun, enjoy the Macan! Now you know better for the next time.

Edited to add what we were offered, we declined all:
- Thermal sunroof protection
- Paint Protection
- Remote Engine Start
- Tire/Wheel protection - they were really pushing this one

I will be taking delivery tomorrow and can't wait. However, I have to rant about what I perceive to be an unfair practice by the dealer. About the time the Macan was due to arrive in port, I called my dealer to ask for the VIN, so that I could arrange financing through my out-of-town FCU. He provided it, but after asking for the interest rate, said that Porsche could match and would I like to go with them. I said sure, assuming the rest of the terms were acceptable. He said he would get back to me with the terms, and that we had a couple of weeks until the car got to the dealership anyway. After five days of silence, I contacted him again for the terms, and he said surprise, the car is here. And that Porsche could not match the rate, but was 'only' 0.5% higher, and that it was only a few bucks a month, and that working with the dealership was a lot easier than working through a credit union, etc. And that the car was there, ready for me to drive home that day. After five months of waiting, it took all my restraint to say no, I will get the best financing deal. But boy was I mad that they pulled a fast one. I could have had the financing done and the check ready, but the offer of Porsche matching the rate made me delay. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but if future buyers are told that Porsche will get you a great rate, have them get the exact terms in writing immediately, or just continue with your own arrangements. This is my first Porsche, and in fact the first time I've ever financed a car, so maybe I'm naive, but this is a poor introduction to the brand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i do agree the premium brands tend to be more professional & rely less on the profit padding, add-on sales tactics. typically, i tell the f&i guy as we’re being introduced to each other that i’ll be declining everything he offers me, and to not waste his time on me.

i really like the idea of countering sleazy sales tactics with a calm reminder that bad behavior will be reflected in the manufacturer survey. thanks for the idea.

when buying my daughter her first car a couple of years ago, the f&i guy tried one of the old school tactics by preprinting the contract with a $99 charge for nitrogen in the tires. he condescendingly explained that it was a standard dealership charge because all their new cars were equipped with nitrogen. without thinking, i surprised myself by instantly channeling my dad from thirty years ago when a sales manager tried to cram undercoating into his new car deal. i simply said, “ok, go ahead and remove the nitrogen; i’ll wait.” the nitrogen stayed but the charge magically disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,209 Posts
This is not "Porsche". This is your dealer. "Porsche", the car maker, told you nothing. A dealer, who sells this car brand, told you something.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My procedure is to do my research very completely before I ever approach a dealer to buy. I read online forums, online print reviews, and YouTube reviews. Then I arrange test drives at multiple dealerships, usually knowing more about the cars I'm test-driving than the salespeople do. I tell them I'm doing research, not ready to buy. This usually keeps salespeople from badgering me. They see that I'm very knowledgeable and know exactly what I want (I'm going for my third car in a row that is special-order from the factory, rather than buying anything off the lot). And when I go to pick up the car, I refuse to get a lease (which might tempt me to get some of those "insurance" packages) or even a loan through the dealership; if I can't pay cash, I get an auto loan from my bank. Best to keep at a distance from the dealer, in my experience, and just keep it to buying the car I want with no extra pressures. It keeps things much more relaxed and pleasant with the dealership. And I feel more respect from them as a result. I would prefer the sales model of Tesla and Polestar: doing it online, getting no hassles from people; using the showrooms to test-drive cars and ask questions only.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My experience has been mostly non-positive with the Finance guys. First they make you wait for long to create the paperwork. Then they try to sell all kinds of expensive things saying that the prices will increase and it will offer peace of mind!

With my Porsche dealer, I didn't have the best experience with their Finance either, primarily because I negotiated hard for 3 things bundled - Tyre/Wheel, Battery Replacement, and Prepaid Maintenance Plan which made them very unhappy. Maybe I could've declined the Battery.

Tyre/Wheel I have already used once for a flat tyre. Prepaid Maintenance will be triggered in the 2nd service due in Feb 2020.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The dealers don’t know when the cars will arrive on the truck..... not their issue....as far as I know.

.5% on a a 3% loan isn’t small....on a 10% loan .... OK

41 - 60 of 94 Posts