Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to do a fair amount of DIY work, and I find myself ordering parts online much more often versus taking a trip to the local dealer. I’m curious what sources others use for parts.

I have used Pelican for many years, and while they are knowledgeable and reliable, sometimes it takes a while for the parts to arrive as they are on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast. And more and more I find them not to be price competitive.

ECS is often very price competitive, but I have found they sometimes misrepresent availability, and they will not ship a partial order if one part is delayed. Since I try to group my parts purchases to save on shipping, sometimes the delays cause headaches especially since I am likely to be ordering parts for more than one vehicle, and a delay on a part for one vehicle ends up delaying my work on another one.

For aftermarket parts, Rock Auto seems they have the best selection, but sometimes their shipping costs tend to get tricky because they ship from multiple warehouses, and if you have an order where parts are in different locations that can cause dramatically higher shipping costs. I have found you need to be careful and watch what is happening to the shipping costs as you add items to your cart.

More and more dealers seem to be selling parts on both eBay and Amazon. Sometimes the dealers clearly identify themselves, and sometimes they don’t. And the shipping charges can be all over the place. But lately I have seen more and more free shipping, and more and more these seem to be the best alternative as they seem to have the parts they are advertising in stock ready to ship fast.

I have generally had good experiences at FCP Euro, although a couple of times I know I’ve noted that the parts were not properly packaged leading to the potential of damage in shipping. Their pricing seems to be all over the place. Sometimes they have the lowest price, and then for the next item they won’t be competitive at all.

Bottom line is that it can pay substantially to comparison-shop, including shipping costs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Newer cars- stuff like oil filters, etc from Suncoast. Older stuff Stoddard and SMC, 914rubber for specific 914 stuff.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I do shop around but I tend to use the dealer more than any other option. The are near by and when you apply the PCA discount and no shipping costs the dealer has typically been the cheapest for me. Ordering online the shipping is typically just too high. Example: Porsche OEM Oil filter for my Macan S is $24.95. Then add $12.57 shipping! Cheaper to just run down to my dealer. No waiting either! I can see on line if you don't have a dealer near by.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/ Great place nice program to locate the part you need. Best of all not only is the price competitive but the shipping is more than fair. Unfortunately not close to you distance wise but worth a look.

Reactions: jzwu

·
Registered
598 Posts
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/ Great place nice program to locate the part you need. Best of all not only is the price competitive but the shipping is more than fair. Unfortunately not close to you distance wise but worth a look.
I like it! Thanks notmac, just ordered a couple of air filters! Took me a while though to figure it out, as the filters are listed as left and right, but are the same part number.

·
Super Moderator
9,977 Posts
I tend to do a fair amount of DIY work, and I find myself ordering parts online much more often versus taking a trip to the local dealer. I’m curious what sources others use for parts.
What the others have said are consistent with what I've seen for years. Pelican and Suncoast advertise broadly across multiple forums as vendors. Sonnen and Sunset are well known. I find Suncoast shipping way to expensive.

In the end, I agree with @ottobon100 I just call up the local dealer, let them order the parts. Get the PCA discount. And they usually mail the parts free. I'm not sure I ever paid for shipping when dealing directly with the dealer via a PCA discount. Going through a website would be different, hence the thing called a "telephone", old school. :) Or, just go pick it up at the counter. No big deal if you are going by them not out of your way.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I've bought a number of genuine Porsche parts on line for my Macan...a set 20" black Spyder wheels & black center caps, upper strut & support bars, door projector lights, USB smart phone charging cable, and sun shield.

All were bought from online Porsche part suppliers (nothing from Suncoast, Pelican, or my local Porsche dealerships), and all were bought from different sites. I simply acquire the correct part number for my Macan, then search online to see who offers the best price and lowest shipping costs. The two local dealerships here in Mass that I've dealt with so far have never been able to even match what I can find online.

Reactions: cerbomark

·
Registered
317 Posts
Been using pelican for a while. I try to make the order $100 and take advantage of the free shipping if I m not in a hurry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had been shopping for a part online & found that my local dealership had a separate parts site. They had three prices for the part: retail & retail less 10% PCA discount (call/walk-in); & automated internet order less 16% (no PCA discount). Internet final price was about the same as other sites & I picked it up that day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used Pelican almost exclusively when I had to tear apart the engine on my boxster, and for most of my 955 cayenne parts. They have some Macan stuff but much, and they didn't have any tech articles or DIY procedures (at least not the last time I looked).

I've ordered from both Sunset and Suncoast Porsche, but you can't beat Harper Porsche since they have the complete parts diagrams so you know you're getting the right parts - oh, and prices as good as the other two dealers. All three of those places will sell Porsche parts from a Porsche dealer for about 10% of what your local dealer will sell them over the counter for.

I roll my eyes when my local dealer tells me they have to order parts from Germany, knowing I could have them on the way from Harper with a few minutes of browsing.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One tactic I've used is to get the part number off the diagram and do a search on the part number. You will often see dealers selling on Amazon and Ebay (not unique to Porsche). Sometimes it's obvious who the dealer is and sometimes it's not. And sometimes there are significant differences in prices from one source to the next.

Sometimes a search on a parts number will also lead you to aftermarket parts at substantial discounts being shipped from China. Seems to be the case especially for commonly needed parts. Obviously there are many parts for which you would not take the risk. But sometimes that's not the case.

I needed a taillight lense for the 996, and I ordered one from China on ebay for 80% less than I could find for an OEM Porsche one anywhere. Other than the markings it's near impossible to tell the replacement from the original.

And more recently I needed to replace the engine partition trim on the X5. It's a common problem on the E70 model. After several years they tend to fall apart from the heat in the engine compartment. The cheapest I could find the genuine BMW parts for was nearly $200, but I was able to order aftermarket parts on Amazon from a seller in China for under $40! Yes, I had to wait several weeks for the parts to arrive, but they were noticeably superior to the OEM BMW parts.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I roll my eyes when my local dealer tells me they have to order parts from Germany, knowing I could have them on the way from Harper with a few minutes of browsing.
So Harper stocks more parts versus the typical dealer? Assuming that's correct, that's good to know.

I know one of Porsche's parts distribution centers is in eastern Pennsylvania about an hour from me. The local dealer here seem to get parts deliveries twice weekly.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should share a problem I'm currently having with ECS.

I ordered some parts for the SLK 55, one or more of which was special order so it held up the entire shipment. To save on shipping costs they don't ship incomplete orders.

Even worse is that they shipped the package Fedex Smartpost, no doubt in another attempt to save on shipping costs. For those who are not familiar with it, the USPS does the last mile delivery for Fedex at a lower cost as in theory the USPS is already visiting every address 5 or 6 days a week.

I assume the way it works is Fedex drops all the packages to be delivered with a zip code at the local Post Office. It's a slow process, but if there's no time sensitivity it usually makes sense as the goal is lowest cost.

My package left ECS in Ohio 8 days ago, and I'm in New Jersey. The Fedex website had indicated it would be delivered Saturday by the end of the day. It never arrived, and ever since Saturday evening the Fedex website shows the package as "delivery pending". Something is obviously wrong as it's now Tuesday evening and if I'm understanding the Fedex website correctly, Fedex turned the package over to the USPS at my Post Office (literally up the street from my house) 4 days ago on Friday.

Seems obvious the package is "lost" so I contacted ECS today. All I've heard so far is "we are looking into it". I can imagine Fedex and the Post Office are probably pointing fingers at each other. Given how much time has passed I would like to think that ECS will tell me tomorrow they are immediately re-shipping the parts they do have and ordering replacements for what they don't. Will be telling to see how they handle it. What I really don't want to hear is they are waiting to see if the package is found, because if it was going to be "found" that would have already happened.

·
Registered
236 Posts
...but you can't beat Harper Porsche...

Does their parts dept. have a website? I only found Knoxville, TN dealership website, but no parts link there. Thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Shark, yes FedEx Smartpost is horrible. I have had packages take two full weeks to reach me. What ever made them think FedEx and the post office would play well together?

I don't believe it's correct though that Fedex delivers the packages to your local post office. I read somewhere they deliver the packages to a USPS regional distribution center.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Shark, don't be so sure that your package is lost. Knowing the post office, it may reappear in their system just as quickly as it evaporated over the weekend. But my experiences with FedEx Surepost have been terrible also.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Given how much time has passed I would like to think that ECS will tell me tomorrow they are immediately re-shipping the parts they do have and ordering replacements for what they don't. Will be telling to see how they handle it. What I really don't want to hear is they are waiting to see if the package is found, because if it was going to be "found" that would have already happened.
Kudos to ECS. They are planning to ship a replacement order on Friday.

Like I always say, problems are going to arise at any business. It's how they are handled which tells you a lot about the company.

·
Registered
190 Posts
One tactic I've used is to get the part number off the diagram and do a search on the part number. You will often see dealers selling on Amazon and Ebay (not unique to Porsche). Sometimes it's obvious who the dealer is and sometimes it's not. And sometimes there are significant differences in prices from one source to the next.

Sometimes a search on a parts number will also lead you to aftermarket parts at substantial discounts being shipped from China. Seems to be the case especially for commonly needed parts. Obviously there are many parts for which you would not take the risk. But sometimes that's not the case.

That part number trick is important. I've even had occasions where I could not find the part on Pelican, but once I did a google search using the part number I find it on Pelican. Let's just say their web site isn't flawless.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts