Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Service at Lexus is first class. Very upscale. A million miles ahead of American brand dealerships. You are really pampered at Lexus. And I love the privacy of the business center and the available technology. I can work while I wait, or sit by the fireplace and listen to music. Or sit at the bar and have someone make something for me to eat and drink

What's it like at Porsche dealers when your car is being serviced?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Well, I guess it depends on the size of the dealer. My Porsche dealer is very small so nothing special is offered. However, you can chose your loaner between Cayenne, Panamera or Cayman with no more than 6 months of use (after 6 months the cars are sold as certified cars). They will be moving to a brand new building in the Fall so it might be nicer. On the other hand, the BMW dealer I take my wife's X5 for service looks like a very upscale shopping center. I guess any high end European or Japanese car dealer will leave American brand dealers in the Stone Age.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
High touch, and expensive.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quiet and relatively simple. My Porsche dealer is reasonably sized and monobrand (Porsche only), and given that Porsche's sales volumes are still relatively low, the service experience is quite personalized. Though there were other cars in the service bay (I figure this dealer has maybe 12-16 service bays), no one else was dropping off when I was there, so there was no rush. I sat down with the service adviser while another guy checked mileage and did walk-around, she advised me of the service bulletins and I told her whatever issues I had. She had another guy go get the loaner while we wrapped up and that was that. Pick up was equally quiet and hassle free. Everyone was professional and courteous, but not in an artificial way. I had a Cayenne loaner for 3 days over the weekend. I received no follow-up call or survey about how they did.

This is in contrast to 12 years of BMW ownership, where everything is free, but the service experience grew increasingly oriented toward upselling paid services and making sure I would give 5-star feedback on my service advisor. I never had any bad service experiences at BMW, but it didn't feel particularly personal. They would cycle through hundreds of cars a day, so I was just a number with a time slot. My observation is that MB is pretty much the same now as well. They both do high volumes of leases, so it's become a bit of a factory at the service department - churn and burn.

Reactions: RJMcInnis

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wait, you mean they make you bring the car to them? Wow. Mine picks it up and leaves the loaner behind for me.
Sometimes, and when they do I get a Starbucks coupon for a free snack and cafe mocha...just so Porsche can compete with those upscale Lexi and Jag service waiting rooms. >:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
At VW, BMW and now Porsche Service Departments I usually turn down the loaner if it is 2 hours or less because I like the overall atmosphere in quality German Car Dealerships (they always have strong coffee) and I can get even more work done alone. Lexus does take very good care of their customers and they have a nice touch but it is like comparing a high end Sushi Bar to a real German Beer Hall, I'll take the Beer Hall every time.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
Service at Lexus is first class. Very upscale. A million miles ahead of American brand dealerships. You are really pampered at Lexus. And I love the privacy of the business center and the available technology. I can work while I wait, or sit by the fireplace and listen to music. Or sit at the bar and have someone make something for me to eat and drink

What's it like at Porsche dealers when your car is being serviced?
This can vary tremendously . Some dealerships are small . Some regions only have one Porsche dealership .

My local dealership is tremendous and is first class all the way . They don't just sell Porsche . They sell Ferrari, Mclaren , Aston . Audi, Jaguar Alfa and they are all together in one giant building complex . The sales are in sections but the service is divided but shared in a common area . So is the food, coffee , and lounge . It's awesome to sit amongst other car owners and chat about cars while sipping coffee. Since I have three Porsches I am there often plus i like to hang out there . Last month I did service on two of my cars and got a Panamera loaner and a 16 Cayenne loaner .

Even though this video is several years old it does show how nice the place is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HPmYXPevo

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I'd be spending all my time looking at or driving other Porsche's. So for me, it's first class.

If a built in Starbucks or spa is more valuable. Then Lexus is probably the right path to stay on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Several weeks ago I received an email from my dealer offering a "Pit Stop" service. Basically to top off fluids and check belts, tires, etc. Maid an appointment, took it in, they did it in about an hour, all for free. Also took care of a service bulletin on the tranny computer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It takes time, effort and money for Dealerships to provide a great atmosphere for their Service Customers so I give Lexus a lot of credit (they just have reliable but boring cars). I left GM (Olds) decades ago because at the time GM was so big and powerful they didn't need to care for their customers. I remember sitting in a trailer with a black and white TV in the late 80s waiting for my brand new Toronado Trofeo on its 4 Service visit. That and the Service Writer's attitude of "what are you going to do we are GM?" is what finally made me go German and that was it.

Note: if the Porsche Dealership you are dealing with cuts corners and does not have a good Service Lounge for their Customers I would go to another Dealership (no matter pricing) because this shows what the owners and managers really think about their customers and how much they are going to stand behind you after the sale.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This can vary tremendously . Some dealerships are small . Some regions only have one Porsche dealership .

My local dealership is tremendous and is first class all the way . They don't just sell Porsche . They sell Ferrari, Mclaren , Aston . Audi, Jaguar Alfa and they are all together in one giant building complex . The sales are in sections but the service is divided but shared in a common area . So is the food, coffee , and lounge . It's awesome to sit amongst other car owners and chat about cars while sipping coffee. Since I have three Porsches I am there often plus i like to hang out there . Last month I did service on two of my cars and got a Panamera loaner and a 16 Cayenne loaner .

Even though this video is several years old it does show how nice the place is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HPmYXPevo

Wow, that dealership is huge! Looks very nice. But were people getting their own coffee? You never have to get your own coffee or frappacino or latte. My Lexus dealer is just very classy compared to say, Dodge or GM.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wow, that dealership is huge! Looks very nice. But were people getting their own coffee? You never have to get your own coffee or frappacino or latte. My Lexus dealer is just very classy compared to say, Dodge or GM.
....and the best part is you know where everything is, when you have to bring your Lexi back three times for the same repair. Once it's no longer under warranty, you'll need free coffee brought to you because, due to service cost shock, you won't be able to either move or afford it. :crying:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Bellevue Porsche goes the extra mile every time. Had an issue with a new key not being correctly coded and cut, meaning they had it for two weeks while they loaned me a Macan, which peaked my interest in owning one. To compensate for the ‘inconvenience’ they picked up the entire tab, and detailed it. Every time I have dealt with them, they have been efficient, professional and cognizant of my time. No up selling or pressure to work on items other than I specify unless deemed a safety concern. Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bellevue Porsche goes the extra mile every time. Had an issue with a new key not being correctly coded and cut, meaning they had it for two weeks while they loaned me a Macan, which peaked my interest in owning one. To compensate for the ‘inconvenience’ they picked up the entire tab, and detailed it. Every time I have dealt with them, they have been efficient, professional and cognizant of my time. No up selling or pressure to work on items other than I specify unless deemed a safety concern. Two thumbs up.
Is Justin your service advisor by chance? I have found him great to work with; very down to earth and not pretentious at all.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
Oh my . I saw this thread posted by @Trek
I thought he finally gave in and made it back with a Turbo . Some might remember him .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Before I got my Macan i would have rolled my eyes at any dealer attempts at concierge service. But let's just say I've gotten used to it (Tacoma Porsche). The few times I've needed them to work on my car they have a waiting area with a really good computerized coffee machine, complementary snacks, wifi and a TV. If the service is even slightly inconvenient they offer to take me home and pick me up later.
If I walk in the front door for any reason my salesman will greet me, and offer to have my car washed. At first I felt odd about it but **** it's nice. He drives it himself and it comes back clean and vacuumed. At first I thought it was a trick to open the door for discussion of an upgrade but there has never been any pressure like that.
I've only had one loaner car, a Panamera S. Never cared for them before but **** that is a nice car.

I do all my own routine service but they have treated me very well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts