Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Macan S with 33k Miles.
Steel Suspension
it drives straight so I don' t think it's an alignment issue.

this is only on 1 tire. front right and only on the outer rim of the tire. The inside par of the tire seems fine. I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow but I'm not too hopeful i'll get favorable news :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
When I bought my (used) GTS, I remember one (possibly more) of my tires looked exactly the same. I didn’t have much tread left so I wasn’t worried much about it since I was going to have to replace the tires anyhow... BUT, my guess was previous owner autocrossed it, or had some local on/off round exit ramps that they took at high speeds on a regular basis. The car was from Oklahoma, so plenty of heat and cold cycling of the tires in that climate.

I drove on them for about six months with zero issues. But they were almost down to the wear bars by that point and I didn’t want to drive in the winter with really low tread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
"Chunking is the term used to describe missing sections of tread from a tire. It almost looks as though the tread has been sliced or torn off in chunks from seemingly random areas.

Tire damage like this typically occurs for one of two reasons. The first is related to suspension problems, such as a bad shock absorber making it impossible for the tire to maintain constant contact with the road. As it bounces up and down on the pavement, the force of the impact can cause tread chunking. A second common cause of chunking is related to heat — specifically, not warming up a tire before subjecting it to severe stress on an autocross or road course.

Chunked tires are not immediately dangerous, but their lifespan has been significantly shortened. The more tread that’s missing, the less grip they’ll have on the asphalt, which in turn can lead to unpredictable behavior under braking, in inclement weather or when cornering."

3 Tire Damage Warning Signs That It's Time to Replace Your RubberNAPA Know How Blog

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
The car has 33k miles.. not the tires. dealer told me it could be alignment issue.. which it's not... I told them to look again and get back to me. car is in the shop now.
I agree with @iconoclast that a failed shock is the most likely culprit. This is even more believable as you state you haven’t auto-crossed the car and you state the tire mileage is less than 33k. If your maintaining correct tire pressure that is also of upmost importance to maximize tire life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure about that because it's just one tire.

I heard that a bad shock or suspension component could cause that. anyone heard of this?
Yes.. faulty shock is most likely the cause. uneven thread height on outer tire and chunking usually suggest you need a new shock absorber. I know this is late but hope it helps someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Macan S with 33k Miles.
Steel Suspension
it drives straight so I don' t think it's an alignment issue.

this is only on 1 tire. front right and only on the outer rim of the tire. The inside par of the tire seems fine. I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow but I'm not too hopeful i'll get favorable news :(
I don’t drive I’m a macan but thought I’d jump in here because it’s only forum discussing this issue. Have a jaguar Ipace little over a year old with just over 20,000 miles on it. Both front tires show Chungking. suspension drives fine but is the only culprit I can imagine for this situation. Talk to several tire dealers. One said this is normal for cars with high torque which just sounds wrong.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I can offer you this: I bought mone new with 23 mines on it. It went through a set of Conti 6's in less thn 9 months. Turns out, it was out of alignment from the factory BIG TIME. It took two alignments to get it right.

Advice: The next set of tires you have installed on your car...have the alignment checked fater the new tires are mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Radial tires will react to suspension, alignment, balance issues very quickly due to the flexibility in the sidewall….all the action/response goes directly to the tread. My daughter had the wheels stolen on a front wheel drive car. When the thieves were finished they dropped the car to the ground. Insurance paid for the new wheels and tires and within 3000 miles the rear tires were worn down to the wear bars. When the car was dropped the rear axle was bent and it was not noticed. The bent axle caused excessive wear, tires basically scrubbed the tread off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t drive I’m a macan but thought I’d jump in here because it’s only forum discussing this issue. Have a jaguar Ipace little over a year old with just over 20,000 miles on it. Both front tires show Chungking. suspension drives fine but is the only culprit I can imagine for this situation. Talk to several tire dealers. One said this is normal for cars with high torque which just sounds wrong.
Brian, I have a 2020 IPACE SE. Front tires started chunking before 8,000 miles. I brought it to dealer in Sarasota where purchased and they blamed the tires but sent note to JLR NA. I brought it to Monmouth Jaguar in New Jersey last week and opened a case with JLN NA. Dealer said same thing. I have an appointment with Goodyear on Monday to review the tires. Have you found a cause on your car? I dont think it is systemic with all IPACES since there isn't so much info floating around. Please let me know your outcome. Really dont want to buy tires every 10k.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts