Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had enough of the stock pad brake dust and am looking for current recommendations for low dust pads as well as vendors who sell the pads.

Also, I want to confirm that the GTS has the same front brakes as a Turbo Macan but uses the same rear brakes as a Macan S as follows:

Front: 360 mm
Rear: 330 mm

Tire Rack's site seems chaotic; they show 345 mm front and 360 mm rear brake sizes. Called over there and the sales person was clueless.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
.....Also, I want to confirm that the GTS has the same front brakes as a Turbo Macan but uses the same rear brakes as a Macan S as follows:

Front: 360 mm
Rear: 330 mm
Those are the correct rotor sizes for a 2017 Macan GTS.

Reactions: Mark in Baltimore

·
Registered
87 Posts
They come with Akebono from factory and they are not expensive at the dealer, I'm sure that Akebono offer a ceramic low dust option available at other retailers.
I never installed other brands on cars where brake squealing will be an issue, I've tried a lot of other pads but always looking for performance.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Who is right? I read here that you can't put ceramic pads on the OEM rotors. Now a "ceramic low dust option " is OK?
There are low dust ceramic pads made to be used with steel rotors, and then there are ceramic pads designed specifically for carbon ceramic rotors. One does have to be careful to select the correct product for their application.

Reactions: Mark in Baltimore

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies as well as confirming the rotor sizes!

They come with Akebono from factory and they are not expensive at the dealer, I'm sure that Akebono offer a ceramic low dust option available at other retailers.
I never installed other brands on cars where brake squealing will be an issue, I've tried a lot of other pads but always looking for performance.
The factory pads are Akebonos?? Never heard of that, but I have also not been very active on this forum in a while, so I guess I missed something.

Sooooo, what's a good, low dust brake pad for a GTS? Low dust ceramic or not, I just want decent performance and, more importantly, low dust.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, they are, in fact the Cayenne turbo 8 pot calipers is also Akebono.
Hawk offers the 5.0 which is also ceramic and has great reviews, basically any ceramic pad will create less dust than the regular ones.
Stop tech has ceramic pads but they wear out too quick, at least on 911's, I guess that the Macan will wear them out faster as it is a heavier car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, they are, in fact the Cayenne turbo 8 pot calipers is also Akebono.
Hawk offers the 5.0 which is also ceramic and has great reviews, basically any ceramic pad will create less dust than the regular ones.
Stop tech has ceramic pads but they wear out too quick, at least on 911's, I guess that the Macan will wear them out faster as it is a heavier car.
Thanks! Since Tire Rack has been useless, I may reach out to Mark Francis at OG Racing to see if he can offer more definitive info regarding which exact pads I need for the GTS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you send me a PM with your VIN I can talk to the dealer and get you the factory Part number and the correct size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced my front pads with the Hawk truck/SUV pads that are in a green box. The brake dust was night and day compared to stock and they seem to be performing well. There is a still a little brake dust but nothing like before.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you send me a PM with your VIN I can talk to the dealer and get you the factory Part number and the correct size.
Thank you! Will do as soon as I can find it.

I replaced my front pads with the Hawk truck/SUV pads that are in a green box. The brake dust was night and day compared to stock and they seem to be performing well. There is a still a little brake dust but nothing like before.
Thank you. Do you have a GTS? If so, what are the model numbers for the pads you have?

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Will this work?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=88

Use of low dust ceramic pads as a replacement for OEM pads has been well documented on various car forums for about as long as there's been an internet. I had them on my 1995 Lexus for over a decade. But some folks will say they don't like the feel or performance of ceramic pads, so they are not universally accepted as a cure for unsightly brake dust.

For the Macan, there are not many aftermarket ceramic pad options available at this time. You can find them for the rear brakes easy enough, because the rear brake calipers and rotors are commonly used on Audi's. But not many ceramic pad manufacturers have started making front ceramic pads for the Macan brakes, yet.

Reactions: Her95B

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Will this work?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=88

Use of low dust ceramic pads as a replacement for OEM pads has been well documented on various car forums for about as long as there's been an internet. I had them on my 1995 Lexus for over a decade. But some folks will say they don't like the feel or performance of ceramic pads, so they are not universally accepted as a cure for unsightly brake dust.

For the Macan, there are not many aftermarket ceramic pad options available at this time. You can find them for the rear brakes easy enough, because the rear brake calipers and rotors are commonly used on Audi's. But not many ceramic pad manufacturers have started making front ceramic pads for the Macan brakes, yet.
So you can be half clean?

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I would love to find a “low dust” Ceramic pad replacement option for my Turbo.
I can’t stand the rampant dust....

I looked in to this a while ago....and gave up.
Has there been any new developments/options ?.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I swear by EBC Red Stuff! It's a ceramic pad. I have three qualifiers for my pads.

1. Bite good cold
2. Little-to-no brake dust
3. No noise

Red Stuff provides me with that. If you can get them for your Macan, do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts