Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am surprised no one ever asked this . My first SUV was a base Cayenne at the age of 54 that I bought for my wife in 2012 . Outside of that I had never even driven an SUV . I had driven a full size van as a teenager (I had a part time job in college delivering ) and a minivan as an adult (dated a woman with children and it was her car) but no SUV . I went right from that Cayenne to my first CUV in 2014 with my first Macan Turbo . That first Macan Turbo blew me away . It was so ahead of anything at that time on the road in its class .

So what did you have and if you had a long list of SUV's what is the take away from each that got you to a Macan ? Do you miss anything that you had in a previous SUV ? Is there something with the Macan that you would never want to give up to go back ?
Didnt have an SUV but had the Cayman. I absolutely loved driving the Cayman but as a daily driver it got to be exhausting getting in and out of. Therefore, I decided to go for the Macan Turbo. The speed of the Macan Turbo speaks for itself but it 'ALMOST' have the driving capability of the Macan. Not quite, but almost!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've always been very "practical" with my vehicles -- nothing fancy and tend to drive for 8-10 years. My list since college is exclusively SUVs and quite short:

1991 Ford Explorer
1999 Dodge Durango
2010 Honda Pilot
2018 Porsche Macan

I wanted something a bit smaller than the SUVs I previously owned, and also broke out from the "practical" trend and decided to treat myself to the Macan. I'll say I do miss the larger cargo capacity, but the Macan is so fun to drive!

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first SUV that I owned [other than rental cars] was a new at the time 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. I traded in my 2013 Audi S4. I wish the S4 and SRT would have a kid, which my goal was realized with my 2020 Macan Turbo ha! [I traded in the Jeep back for a 2018 Audi S4 before the Macan].

The SRT was very menacing. Though in the 33k-ish miles I had the SRT, enjoyed the space but was prone to mechanical problems. The check engine light came on around 800 miles and due to vacuum leaks would randomly appear every 1,500 miles or so. Both cylinder banks replaced, all three transfer cases replaced, and a few pieces of exterior rubber replaced around the hood vent scoop would just melt.

In my current house, I have an insulated garage on the ground floor. Funny item with the SRT, would radiate so much heat the Garage would stay super hot in the summertime and really warm in the winter. My A/C bill is less for the house in ATL.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Started off in a SUV - 1970 Ford Bronco. Loved that I could take the top off in summer!
Then switched to small cars:
Porsche 914
Alfa Romeo Spyder
Miata x2
1960 MGA
I usually had some type of SUV while I had the above cars (CJ5, CJ7, Wrangler, Honda Passport)
Then kids came along so I went back to SUVs - favorite was a 2006 4Runner Sport. Still have it.
Just received my 2020 Macan S. Tons of fun, but counting the days until my first speeding ticket!
Miss the convertibles.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
My first SUV was a 2011 Q5, I loved that car! It was great for hauling stuff for school and I had no problems what so ever. Four years after I have had it, a friend at school told me that she loved my car and wanted to buy it. I was like welllll sure I guess and I built my little S5 Convertible. After I put down the deposit and told her that it was going to take Audi four months to make my car she of course didn't want it anymore. So this is when I became a two car household. I drove the S5 all the time and the Q5 was neglected.

When one of the hurricanes came through Charleston there was a teacher at school whose car was flooded and then totaled and knowing she didn't have money, or rental coverage on her insurance I foolishly loaned her the Q5 and told her to take her time, not rush and find the right car. She kept it for over a month, about 1200 miles and gave it back to me with the check engine light on. So I call her up and ask how long has the check engine light been on? She didn't even tell me and was like "Oh about five days". My dad has trained me that if the check engine light comes on you go to the dealer or a shop and do not pass go, and collect your 200. So off it went to the dealer to be fixed and I sold it right then. I gave up on my Q5 not knowing how she treated it those 1200 miles and ordered my Macan GTS the same weekend I sold the Q5. I have discovered that I love having the convertible, but being a teacher of little people I have a lot of __it that needs to be hauled and the S5 was not going to cut it! When I was rear ended in May I was hauling stuff out of the classroom to my garage. Let me tell you I had to make many more trips to get things home once the Macan was put out of commission. Gosh I truly miss my Macan that is for sure!

·
Registered
393 Posts
'83 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.
'03 Infinity FX45
'10 Acura MDX Advance
'15 Porsche Macan S

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am surprised no one ever asked this . My first SUV was a base Cayenne at the age of 54 that I bought for my wife in 2012 . Outside of that I had never even driven an SUV . I had driven a full size van as a teenager (I had a part time job in college delivering ) and a minivan as an adult (dated a woman with children and it was her car) but no SUV . I went right from that Cayenne to my first CUV in 2014 with my first Macan Turbo . That first Macan Turbo blew me away . It was so ahead of anything at that time on the road in its class .

So what did you have and if you had a long list of SUV's what is the take away from each that got you to a Macan ? Do you miss anything that you had in a previous SUV ? Is there something with the Macan that you would never want to give up to go back ?
No, but my sister (who lived in a different country) had an Audi Q5, which I drove every time I went back to visit my family, for thousands of km.

And I rented SUVs extensively, particularly from Mercedes-Benz (GLBs and GLEs or all sorts).

Before our son was born, I wanted a car in which it would be easy to put the pram in and the maxi-cosi, thus a small SUV was a reasonable choice. The trunk opens widely, and it's much easier to maneuver a child seat when the car is higher.

I was already very happy with our existing Porsche at the time, and we have a good dealership very close to us, so we decided to get a Porsche SUV.

But I had driven the Cayenne and I just don't think it's the car for us. Yes it's incredibly fast (more so for the size), but it's just too large, not anywhere as enjoyable to drive as a Macan in my opinion, plus my wife hated it.

Then I test drove the Macan Turbo and bought it on the spot. No regrets. It's just a superb all-rounder, it's probably the best handling SUV out there, I love the interior, features, quality.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Started my SUV days when my wife was pregnant with our twin boys. My wife was the primary driver of the SUVs but I drove them often. Was looking at the '17 Macan when I got my wife her first Cayenne but I got a great deal on a 2017 E300. Went with 2 Porsches this past December.

Hers:
1998 Honda Civic
2004 Acura MDX
2008 Mercedes ML350
2010 Lexus RX350
2013 Infiniti JX35
2017 Porsche Cayenne
2020 Porsche Cayenne

His:
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula (bought used in 1982)
1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass (bought used in 1985)
1990 Ford Probe GT
1995 BMW 325is
1998 BMW 528i
2001 Mercedes C320
2004 BMW M3
2008 BMW 328xi
2011 Mercedes C300
2013 Mercedes C300
2017 Mercedes E300
2020 Porsche Macan

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
His:
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula (bought used in 1982)
My first car !!! I only had it one year and then was bitten by an Alfa Romeo Spider which was beautifully designed but one of most unreliable cars of my life .

What color was the Firebird ? Mine was red and it was the only red car I ever bought.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My first car !!! I only had it one year and then was bitten by an Alfa Romeo Spider which was beautifully designed but one of most unreliable cars of my life .

What color was the Firebird ? Mine was red and it was the only red car I ever bought.
Mine was red as well. I had mine less than a year because it got stolen. I didn't replace it for a few years because I went away to college and the school didn't allow freshman to have a car.

What year did you get it?

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Mine was red as well. I had mine less than a year because it got stolen. I didn't replace it for a few years because I went away to college and the school didn't allow freshman to have a car.

What year did you get it?
1975 . I was in high school . My father was taking me to an Oldsmobile dealership to look at a "nice, used, sturdy and safe car" . This way I could drive both myself and sister to school (private school far from home ) and as a kid I looked at a car as "instant independence " (sort of) . So on the way to the dealership he saw my head snap at a red Trans Am parked at a Pontiac dealership . The word "Porsche" was not even in his vocabulary but Pointiac was a GM car and he was a Cadillac guy . So he stopped . There was no way he was buying a new Trans Am . First he wanted a used car . Second it was expensive. Third he feared I'd get hurt in the car being so young . He did stop though .... and we looked at cars . On the showroom floor was new red Firebird . He looked at me . He looked at the car . He looked in the air and took a deep breath .
I miss him . He never got to see me buy my first 911.

The first day I got my red Firebird (my first car) I drove it 186 miles . It was 3 miles from my house where I lived to the main street and 3 miles back . So I gave rides to all my high school friends up and back all day long in my new car . Yep ... I was only 17 but both then and now ... a car guy.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I had a Toyota 4Runner in 04 and we purchased a Lexus RX330 in 06 for my wife. We did frequent trips to the mountains and needed the space and AWD capability of an SUV, however, we both never owned an SUV at the same time until 2011 when I purchased the 958 Cayenne. From there, I was sucked into Porsche and ordered my Macan Turbo site unseen in early 2014.

While I no longer have my Macan, it's my favorite all around vehicle and is/was perfect for my lifestyle. Classy, sporty, functional, and somewhat understated (as much as a Porsche can be at least). I was comfortable taking it just about everywhere, could throw the golf clubs into the back, have the occasional back seat passengers, and never worried about road conditions. There is a little muni golf course just down the road that I frequent and both the driveways are too steep for my 992, so I have to take the wife's X3. When I'm ready to part with my 992, assuming I'm done with the 911 all together, I do see myself back in the next gen Macan. Until then, I'll make due with my 992 as my dd. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Macan replaced a Trailblazer SS. While we miss the great cargo capacity of the Trailblazer, we love the handling of the Macan.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My first EVER car was my sisters old hand me down Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would say nothing in comparison to the Macan, and also a some 20 years in between as well! I‘ve gone sedan, bigger sedan, a Mini (that’s technically their SUV but we’ll call it more of a sub compact CUV), a coupe to the Macan.

·
Registered
393 Posts
SUV's, year and make:
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2003 Infiniti FX45
2010 Acura MDX Advance
2015 Porsche Macan S
2019 Audi Q7 Prestige
2021 Porsche Macan GTS (ordered)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Subaru Outback. Nice car. Was going to get another Corvette to keep my '65 Stingray company but after a couple beers and looking out on 2 feet of new snow I opted for a 2017 Macan S. Very nice car. Fast enough. Will put smaller wheels and narrower tires on for next winter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
We replaced a BMW X3 Diesel M-sport with our GTS, before the Bimmer, we had an Audi Q5, before that a Jeep Liberty, so yes, wife has been a long time SUV driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here I go !
1970 Plymouth satellite wagon in 1979 {first car}
73 puegot wagon 1980 excellent all around vehicle
72 ford bronco 1981 parted out
69 triumph GT6
various work trucks
70 GT6 blue
87 GMC S15 new
95 ford powerstroke 350 w 9ft plow , new
87 944 turbo first Porsche
89 911 triple blk 3.2
87 928s4 blk with white int
05 GMC 1500 sierra slt new
78 911 SC stainless headers !!!
89 928s4
went boating for 10 years
99 Carrera convertible tiptronic
14 MB GLK250 bluetec
09 911TT
15 Cayenne diesel, sold before fix,new
15 GMC sierra slt 4dr ,current daily driver
10 X5 diesel, cel came on . bailed out
03 Boxster base ,incredible value {in garage}38k mi
17 MacanS white with red and black interior 35k mi I{in garage }
I missed a few along the way ? Very happy with the Porsche cars overall !

61 - 80 of 86 Posts