Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2014 - Purchased a 2008 Santa Fe. That was my first car, and I was in college. Served me fine until I moved from Texas to Washington. As the SUV was FWD, some occasional snow and hilly streets in Seattle made me part with the SUV.
2017 - Leased a C300 coupe with AWD. Very nice car, looks super cool with all the appearance package.
2020 - Purchased a 2017 Macan S. It was a decision made at the lease end of my C300, and I wanted to buy a car instead of leasing. I found that I could just add a couple grands more to purchase a Macan S from the same year with same miles. Thought might be a good option.

Have had the Macan S for 2 weeks. Enjoying every bit of it. Although I had to get the rear tires changed. Other than that, feeling good about the purchase for now.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lets see, in the last 25 years:
2 Rav4's
2 Toyota 4-Runners
2 Lexus RX's
1 Infiniti FX
2 Macan (one base and one S)

The "CFO" has had a couple of Rav 4's and then switched to Lexus, she had an IS but too small, last 3 have been GS350's, current one (2016) she will not part with.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The most recent cars for me
Audi A3 front wheel drive
Audi A3 all wheel drive. needed something bigger.
VW Touareg TDI R Line. was to big and not sporty enough
18 Macan GTS. so far just about right.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The short answer is yes, wife and I had 3 BMW X-5's, an X-1, and a Cayenne GTS before getting our first Macan. I used to tell everyone 'I'm not a fan of SUV's'. But somewhere in my 50's, my back started complaining about climbing in and out of low-slung 911's, BMW 3 coupes, MB AMG's, and the like. Great fun to drive, but I didn't feel refreshed after long drives in them. So after a few years of driving my Wife's SUV's on trips, I made the switch, the Cayenne GTS being my first. Great car, loved it, just a little larger than I needed. I now have my third Macan on order. :)

Reactions: TXRed

·
Registered
35 Posts
First SUV. Sold my wife's 09 Boxster S (wrong car for her) and a 2008 Volvo S60 (great car) and bought a 2018 CPO base Macan. It is her daily driver. She is very happy with it. She likes sitting up higher.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Nope. I went from a Mini Cooper S to the Macan GTS. I also never looked back.

Reactions: Llarry

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am surprised no one ever asked this . My first SUV was a base Cayenne at the age of 54 that I bought for my wife in 2012 . Outside of that I had never even driven an SUV . I had driven a full size van as a teenager (I had a part time job in college delivering ) and a minivan as an adult (dated a woman with children and it was her car) but no SUV . I went right from that Cayenne to my first CUV in 2014 with my first Macan Turbo . That first Macan Turbo blew me away . It was so ahead of anything at that time on the road in its class .

So what did you have and if you had a long list of SUV's what is the take away from each that got you to a Macan ? Do you miss anything that you had in a previous SUV ? Is there something with the Macan that you would never want to give up to go back ?
Never owned an SUV before my Macan but a few 911’s and my favourite - a 928 S4 which I owned for 5 years when I Lived in California! Always drove sporty cars since 1986 when I bought a 944S new!

Now in Australia and bought the Macan S Diesel from the main Dealer in Melbourne with 16k miles and absolutely love it! They don’t make diesels anymore but the MPG is great and the car in all other aspects is a Macan throughout (except for rarely used performance)!!

I can’t fault the car and looking forward to upgrading to a series 2 (albeit petrol) when ready for a change!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Firstly this is my 5th Porsche, 1) 1974 911 (2) 1978 grey market 911SC German spec., very fast (3) 1982 SC Targa (4) 1999 996. The only one I don’t pine for is the Targa, too many issues with the roof seal.

SUV, 1982 Ford Bronco, 1990 something Ford Explorer, 2013 Ford Escape and now the Macan. I wish I still had the big Bronco but liked all of them. Only bought the Escape new and had it the longest. It was a good car, the newer ones were designed in Germany so it is actually surprising in its road manners. Much better driving the the Subaru I almost bought.

The Macan S was a compromise with my wife to get back to Porsche with some level of practicality and she actually loves it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am surprised no one ever asked this . My first SUV was a base Cayenne at the age of 54 that I bought for my wife in 2012 . Outside of that I had never even driven an SUV . I had driven a full size van as a teenager (I had a part time job in college delivering ) and a minivan as an adult (dated a woman with children and it was her car) but no SUV . I went right from that Cayenne to my first CUV in 2014 with my first Macan Turbo . That first Macan Turbo blew me away . It was so ahead of anything at that time on the road in its class .

So what did you have and if you had a long list of SUV's what is the take away from each that got you to a Macan ? Do you miss anything that you had in a previous SUV ? Is there something with the Macan that you would never want to give up to go back ?
Our SUV's were the following:
Honda CR-V
Audi Q5 2.0
BMW X3 28i 2.0
BMW X3 35I 3.0
BMW X3 35I 3.0 M

·
Registered
22 Posts

First SUV was 25 years ago- heres my SUV list:
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee- Company car, loved it, piled on the miles- gone
2001 Nissan Pathfinder- ugh- sold in two years- rode horrible, ate gas- gone
2003 Ford Explorer- liked it, rattled, sold it to my accountant and its is still running today
2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8- nice truck, had if for 9 years. Bo-RING- gone.
2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel- LOVED IT, until fix. Sold it for the Macan
2014 Honda CRV- Station, city, airport car. Leased and now gone. No fun, just wheels
2017 VW Tiguau- the little stubby German made one. Nice little truck, well made. Twitchy ride. Leased and now gone
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi- Really like this SUV, great features, nice ride, all in a big surprise- In the fleet.
2018 Porsche Macan SE- About as much fun as you can have in an SUV and still have money left over for a couple of weeks in Europe. Fun car and a joy to drive. With the Jeep, we are covered.

Probably left out one or two, but SUVs are really needed. We live in a hilly area and are constantly lugging stuff. I miss the Cayenne's presence, and its' amazing highway performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I only owned one SUV prior to my Macan S and it was a 2016 Infinity QX50 with the 3.7 325 HP V-6. A high-revving peppy ride, but sorely lacking the magic of a Porsche. I had owned 4 911's and a 968 over the years and could never see myself in a SUV until recently. I acquired the Porsche fever many years ago and sacrificed other interests in order to fulfill my automotive preferences. As they say "there is no substitute". This may be true but the dream becomes slightly tarnished when it's time for that $318 Dealer oil change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife had an Xterra which I always hated and now has a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk which is OK. But my Macan is my first SUV. I traded in a great Audi A4 Cabriolet which I miss but I love the Macan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is great thread....In all my years of purchasing vehicles, I too started out with sporty cars during my single life, then went to sedans, and then after back issues, went all in to suvs in 2004 and never looked back. Here is my list of graduated suv buys.

2004 Infiniti FX 35
2006 Infiniti FX 35 - still have it, 210,000 miles.......solid
2012 Infiniti FX 35 Ltd
2015 BMW X6 50i
2013 Infiniti FX 37 Ltd
2015 Porsche Macan S
2017 Infiniti QX70
2016 Porsche Macan Turbo

Also have done all the big suvs, Ford Expedition, Lexus LX 470, Dodge Durango, '06, '09, '11 Infiniti QX56, '14, '15, and present '17 QX80 Ltd. We like the QX80s

Yes, was and still am big Infiniti fan......until I drove the Macan Turbo.....I'm in medical sales and drive 40k miles/year, so always buy gently used and CPO on Porsche. I don't think I can ever leave now, unless the court supervision on speeding tickets goes away..lol

I will say if you're looking for a great car for college student, or perhaps a car for the winter, the FX is very fun to drive and engine will last forever......the X6 gave me the most problems....after 50k miles, that V8 turbo just started falling apart......

As for the Macan Turbo, there is no substitute!!!! lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Subaru wagon
2 Jeep Grand Cherokee’s
Chrysler Pacifica (kids)
2 Acura Mdx’s (more kids and dogs)
2018 Macan S (totaled 3 months ago)
2018 Macan base (used insurance payout to buy it with no cash layout)
These vehicles span from about 1996 to present. I wish I still had the Macan S. I loved the power and it actually sounded like a Porsche.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmm… I’ve had so many I don’t think I could remember them all. I will highlight my favorite ones.
1970 Chevelle SS restored. Yeah. Wish I still had this one
1975 camaro Z71
1980 Malibu SS
random cars in between
small Chevy SUV don’t remember the yr
Cadillac Eldorado don’t remember the yr
1999 Chevy Tahoe
2003 Mustang Mach 1 wish I had this one too
2006 Mustang GT
2010 Audi A5
2014 Lexus IS250 fsport
2018 Macan.
so I haven’t had an SUV since 2003. So glad I got it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I traded in a 2016 Toyota Tundra 1794 edition for my 2018 GTS. I had a 2004 Toyota Sequoia before that. Bought that one new and traded it in for the Tundra with 300K miles on it. I'm a fan of Toyota. But moving up to a GTS has been a whole new ballgame.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let's see I have had many SUV'S....
2004 Dodge Durango
2006 Jeep Commander
2008 Jeep GC
2010 Jeep Wrangler 2 door
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2011 Jeep GC
2013 Volkswagen Toureag
2014 Jeep GC
2016 Lincoln MKX
2017 Ford Expedition EL
2019 Porsche Macan (current vehicle)

I know I am forgetting one or two along the way. Yes, I trade often which is not something I am proud of. Just being a car nut is truly a disease. The above list doesn't include the cars only the SUV's. Oh I forgot my 1965 Willys Jeep that my dad and I fixed up.....it had a three speed manual which was a blast to drive. Drove it until there were holes in the floor board.

·
Registered
8 Posts

My first SUV was a Nissan Pathfinder. It lasted forever. I switched to BMW then MB car and it was great. I missed the SUV room space. Saw the Macan and loved it. Perfect crossover

41 - 60 of 86 Posts