Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I first did a BMW X3 in 2008. Really because my wife wanted to sit up higher. She had a $18K off-road excursion in the car in early 2009 and it took many trips back to the body shop and dealer to fix niggling little problems. After my wife passed away in early 2010, I traded the X3 on my personal preference for a family truckster, a 2011 BMW 328i Wagon (with manual transmission, M sport, etc.) Loved that car! It was purchased by Enthusiast Auto as one of the last of the manual transmission wagons imported by BMW.

After remarrying in 2012, sold that wagon to get a 2014 X3 for new wife. The Macan will replace that X3. In a perfect world, I would not own an SUV, except that BMW has stopped selling wagons in the USA and the Macan -- particularly the GTS -- is just such a perfect package. I'm really looking forward to ordering and taking delivery.
My wife also like the higher vehicle after coming originally from an M3 to the Cayenne then the Macan Turbo . Part of her reason is that she works in an area that can flood easily even though we live in an area which doesn't . She also likes the visibility . I have spoken to many women who liked SUV's when they had small children even though the Macan is one such vehicle which does not work as well as others . One woman told me that having the higher vehicle is easier on her back when placing the child a car seat . That makes total sense to me .

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ford Escape Work car drove the he// out of it till I retired in 2015. It’s still on the road now over 180k.
Now 2 SUV’s the Macan and an SQ5. Hope to replace the Macan with something more sporty but really don‘t put more than 5k each on either a year now so that may not happen any time soon.
Now too many Suv’s.🤷‍♂️ Need an SUV break!
I can relate to this . Youn have all the practical that you need . What you dont have is the break from it. With low mileage and retirement it does make sense to pause too. Just dont drive any fun cars .. it might end up being expensive.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The X1 and cars like it always confused me . They look like an SUV but in some cases they seem smaller than some compact cars . For example I think there is more room in a Honda Civic than the HRV (both made by the same company). What led you to an X1 ?
Thanks for asking. When I purchased the X1 five years ago, I was doing lots of driving on unsealed roads (as a landscape photographer), and needed something with better traction. Thus, the X1 was perfect (at the time). Five years later and I'm still requiring an SUV, but wanted something far more dynamic (and a little larger) - enter the Macan!

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the family: MB GLC, SQ5 and last one a Jaguar Ipace-EV, but was too soon with current charging infrastructure, so happy to be back on fossil fuel side.
And a few 911 over the past 25 years (not anymore), thus jumped on a 2020 Macan GTS, and I love it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the following since 1994:

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80
Toyota Hilux SUV
Suzuki Vitara V6
BMW X3 (E83) x2
BMW X3 (F25) x2
Macan GTS (present)

Never looked back since then, never bought a sedan or coupe over those 26 years. A sucker for SUV/CUV's and the Macan GTS completes my driving preference.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Since I moved to the US 18 years ago:
2002 - Jeep Grand Cherokee (biggest POS I ever drove)
2004 - Infiniti G35x
2006 - BMW X5
2008 - BMW X5
2011 - BMW X5
2013 - BMW X5
2015 - Mercedes GL450
2015 - Porsche Macan S

·
Registered
242 Posts
93 Civic Si (16 years old, 1st brand new car in High School)
89 Accord LX-i
95 Camry LE (most boring car I've ever owned, but build like a tank)
92 Accord LX
03 Accord EX-L Nav (Factory Nav in 2003 was ahead of its time)

Still owned:
07 RDX Tech (i4 Turbo with AWD in a small sporty SUV in 2007 was also ahead of its time)
08 Civic Mugen Si
16 ILX Premium
19 Macan S

Future consideration:
2nd Gen NSX
or
992 Targa 4S

So to answer your question, yes we had the RDX for our 1st SUV ever. Back in 2007 sporty SUV was still a new concept, and during that time we were looking for our next family car. It was fun, sporty, quick and surprisingly handles well for an SUV. Wife likes the elevated seating position. I like how we can still take a family vacation (road trip) just have enough room for our 2 small kids (back in the days) and our luggage, and still have a somewhat enjoyable vehicle to drive. We also like to take yearly ski trip to New Mexico or Colorado. So I welcome the little extra clearance and AWD that this little SUV provides. Now even though the kids are grown and its just mainly the wife and I taking road trips, we have to have at least one SUV for us. We handed down the RDX to our daughter for college because she loves it so much (I reflashed the CPU so it have a little more kick than stock, and lowered it with Eibach sport springs) and it have perfect cargo size for all her Architecture projects.

So when it comes to replacing the aging RDX for ourselves, we were looking for another sporty small SUV thats a step or two better than our old RDX. We also feel that this time we are ready to step out out of the Japanese (I'm a Honda nut and still is) brand, so almost right away we scratch off the new RDX and RX off our list. Therefore, we were shopping the usual new GLC, X3/X4, Velar, F Pace, but nothing compares close to the Macan. My wife loves the look of it, and I love the way it drives, and the fact that after much research I feel that Porsche have the best reliability out of all Europeans out there. Well, there ya go just a brief summary on how we arrive to this moment. We enjoyed the Macan completely with not a single regret. It was too bad the GTS or the Turbo wasn't available yet when we ordered our Macan, since some of you here know that we kinda went overboard with our S configuration. In conclusion though, Porsche have made a mark on us that I'm now considering the new Targa 4S in the future, I have always dreamed of owning the NSX, but that dream are being corrupted slowly.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
We've had several SUVs over my married driving life:
  • 3 Infiniti Qx4s
  • A 2005 BMW X-5
  • 3 Grand Cherokees
  • 2014 Audi SQ-5, which I replaced with the Macan
  • Now the X3MC
I don't think I'd want anything but an SUV for my daily driver. I like the view with sitting up higher, I like the hauling capacity, & find it so much easier to get into & out of. Plus, it's so much easier to get groceries, etc., into the hatch than, it is to reach into a sedan's trunk.

The Hubster got rid of his mom's old 3 series BMW for her last summer. He briefly thought about getting a newer M3 for his daily driver, & then decided after driving his mom's around, that he had no desire to climb into a sedan all the time. He ended up with his X5M & loves it. The 911s are a blast to drive, but I'd want something bigger & higher up for my daily.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Two Nissan Pathfinders, an 87 (Oct 1986) and a 99. From 07-17 had two Infiniti's, g35 & 37. Back to SUV in 18 with Heinrich, my turbo.

·
Registered
219 Posts
my first car was an MK4 R32 in 2007 that my dad and I had to put an engine in and do some other work to. I had that for a few years and then got a second “daily” driver as an mk3 Jetta, then an mk3 GTI, then I sold the daily and went back to my beloved R32 only, and then got rear ended and totaled and that was that. Bought a barely used 2009 MKV GTI that I loved and did a bunch of work to, ended up getting a second daily again as a b5 A4, and then sold that for a 2006 Touareg. That’s where my SUV lifestyle came in. Lol.
I had the GTI as the fast fun car and the Touareg as my utility vehicle, I had just bought my first house and didn’t really mind the slowness of it, but actually loved it too and knew I had a fun fast car in the garage at home. Had that for 2 years and then ended up giving it to my mother in law, I bought a 2011 Touareg TDI, this is where I really began to love SUVs. I ended up driving the Touareg TDI more than the GTI.
We sold our first house and moved to Florida, bought house #2 and were happy until dieselgate hit.
The buyback figure on the Touareg was too good to pass up. It was paid off and the money we would get was more than we paid for it 4 years prior and we had about 130k on it by then. Sold it back to VW, and ended up buying a brand new tacoma trd pro, 6 speed, and utterly hated it. Family needed us back home so we moved to NH and I sold the tacoma for the same price I paid for it. Got an old A8 for a daily for a year or so, so I was back to the a8 and GTI but really missed the SUV and always really like the Macan GTS.
We took a Vacation back to Florida in January 2019 and I bought my Macan GTS, which is such a good mix of the GTI and Touareg. So I parted with my GTI and have just the Macan GTS now.
My husband has had a long list of his own cars in the mean time, but for now we have the Macan GTS, a 1990 Defender 110 200TDI and a 1973 Innocenti Mini Cooper (105 horse at the front wheels).
Very good blend of cars for now. We own a small dealership as well which satisfies our random car urges. Buy something drive it a few weeks and sell it.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
60 Posts
The vehicle I traded on the Macan was a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Over the past 25 years I've had 4 Grand Cherokees, 3 Caymans, an Audi A4, and a Subaru Outback, among other cars. The Macan is really a mash-up of all of the above, combining the best of everything.

I often notice how much the Macan reminds me of the A4... I guess the Audi DNA is definitely there, but strangely enough there are lots of similarities to the 2016 Cayman GTS I had... mostly due to the PDK and the controls.

The Outback was a vehicle I had for a short while, thinking that it would be a good combo of features. I hated it and it was gone in less than a year.

The Macan is my favorite so far.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
All my life, I've been a manual transmission guy. It's an age thing... I had a few SUV's in the last 20 years.
-2002 BMW X5 4.6is
-2006 BMW X5 4.8is
-2009 ML63 AMG beast (tuned 550HP)
-2018 Porsche Macan Turbo

Loved (and love) them all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This century:

2000 Subaru Outback
2002 BMW Z3
2003 Honda Pilot
2007 BMW X5 ( my worse new car experience)
2011 Lexus GX460
2015 Lexus GS350
2018 Toyota Tacoma Limited
2020 Porsche Macan

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I had the following since 1994:

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80
Toyota Hilux SUV
Suzuki Vitara V6
BMW X3 (E83) x2
BMW X3 (F25) x2
Macan GTS (present)

Never looked back since then, never bought a sedan or coupe over those 26 years. A sucker for SUV/CUV's and the Macan GTS completes my driving preference.
Do you feel that climate plays a role ? I see you live in Canada , @santastico lives in Minnesota, I talk frequently to people in New York and Chicago ..ALL have at least one SUV . Yet I also look at my neighbors and they also have at least one but it wasn't always that way. I think of the amount of space they DON'T use . I think of the AWD system which is sometimes used but not as beneficial as if it snowed here.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Do you feel that climate plays a role ? I see you live in Canada , @santastico lives in Minnesota, I talk frequently to people in New York and Chicago ..ALL have at least one SUV . Yet I also look at my neighbors and they also have at least one but it wasn't always that way. I think of the amount of space they DON'T use . I think of the AWD system which is sometimes used but not as beneficial as if it snowed here.
That is/was a decision factor for me. Room to haul stuff for my job... room for kiddos and a dog later on... but the main thing, my only two careers post-college were both jobs that I WAS EXPECTED TO BE THERE AT ALL COSTS/CONDITIONS... in Texas, we don’t “plow the roads”. Our way to handle snow and ice is the sun. I eventually wanted something with AWD to handle DFW Winter conditions so I could make it to work no matter what.

2007 4Runner was 2WD, but with LSD and A-Trac, it handled stuff really well (for 2wd).

Acura MDX AWD - AMAZING!! I could drive circles around everyone (except the Audis).

2011 4Runner Ltd was also 2WD, but it never really saw much winter conditions.

2014 4Runner Trail Ed - a beast for everything I threw at it. Winter, off-road, everything. It was unstoppable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
@yrralis1 I moved to the US coming from a country when at that time most cars were very small and had terrible engines. My car was a 1.0L. I moved to NH and the weather difference was a big factor for me to buy an used SUV (Jeep Grand Cherokee) at that time. Since I had never driven in snow before and NH is the "Live free or die" state with no need to wear seat belts or have car insurance, having a car higher from the ground and 4x4 made me and my wife feel safer. Again, it was a perception but a good one. I loved driving a SUV. Once we finished our studies we wanted a second car and although I insisted to buy another SUV (I had my eye on a brand new VW Toureg at that time) my wife convinced me we didn’t need two SUVs since she would only use her car to commute to work all in highways. We got a Infiniti G35x sedan. Now, the big turn into moving all the way back to SUVs was when our first child was born. That is also when we moved to MN. First, safety. We thought again a car that was higher up from the ground was safer and would handle snow much better. Second, space. Good luck fitting all baby gear inside a sedan. Strollers became much bigger with huge wheels, bags, car seats are bulky, etc... At that time BMW had sweet deals on leasing X5s. We leased 4 or 5 in a row. Their terms were always attractive and they made so easy to get out the old one into a new one. Those worked well for us for many years until we already had two kids that were growing up and were very active athletes. Leasing was no longer an option since we were putting too many miles in the car driving them all over the place for practices and games. Also, family came to visit us and we could not fit all in one car. That was the time we decided to buy a 7 seat SUV and the Mercedes GL was a perfect fit. At that time I had inherited my wife’s old sedan. It was 12 years old an in pristine condition. It had 70k miles on it. I could have kept it but the bug to get a new car was flying around. I considered the Mercedes C class but when I test drove it I missed the seat position of driving a SUV. I tried the BMW 5 series and had the same problem. I then decided to buy a SQ5 but the salesman was so obnoxious that I decided to go for a walk. Next door was the Porsche dealer and the rest is history. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've always had compact sedans - but now that we have 2 kiddos it was time for me to get a more practical car. My wife got an RX350 as well. Putting kids into carseats in an SUV versus a sedan (especially a lowered sedan) is an absolute game changer!

1999 C230 Kompressor
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
2007 Acura TL Type-S
2016 Macan S

·
Registered
853 Posts
my first car was an MK4 R32 in 2007 that my dad and I had to put an engine in and do some other work to. I had that for a few years and then got a second “daily” driver as an mk3 Jetta, then an mk3 GTI, then I sold the daily and went back to my beloved R32 only, and then got rear ended and totaled and that was that. Bought a barely used 2009 MKV GTI that I loved and did a bunch of work to, ended up getting a second daily again as a b5 A4, and then sold that for a 2006 Touareg. That’s where my SUV lifestyle came in. Lol.
I had the GTI as the fast fun car and the Touareg as my utility vehicle, I had just bought my first house and didn’t really mind the slowness of it, but actually loved it too and knew I had a fun fast car in the garage at home. Had that for 2 years and then ended up giving it to my mother in law, I bought a 2011 Touareg TDI, this is where I really began to love SUVs. I ended up driving the Touareg TDI more than the GTI.
We sold our first house and moved to Florida, bought house #2 and were happy until dieselgate hit.
The buyback figure on the Touareg was too good to pass up. It was paid off and the money we would get was more than we paid for it 4 years prior and we had about 130k on it by then. Sold it back to VW, and ended up buying a brand new tacoma trd pro, 6 speed, and utterly hated it. Family needed us back home so we moved to NH and I sold the tacoma for the same price I paid for it. Got an old A8 for a daily for a year or so, so I was back to the a8 and GTI but really missed the SUV and always really like the Macan GTS.
We took a Vacation back to Florida in January 2019 and I bought my Macan GTS, which is such a good mix of the GTI and Touareg. So I parted with my GTI and have just the Macan GTS now.
My husband has had a long list of his own cars in the mean time, but for now we have the Macan GTS, a 1990 Defender 110 200TDI and a 1973 Innocenti Mini Cooper (105 horse at the front wheels).
Very good blend of cars for now. We own a small dealership as well which satisfies our random car urges. Buy something drive it a few weeks and sell it.
View attachment 231708
View attachment 231709
View attachment 231710
“own a small delearship”.... so NOT FAIR!!! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Future consideration:
2nd Gen NSX
or
992 Targa 4S
//snipped// ...I have always dreamed of owning the NSX, but that dream are being corrupted slowly.
I can relate to this. The original NSX was a dream car for me. I realized after buying my 981 Boxster S that the specs on my new car and those of the NSX-T were not too dissimilar. That cured my NSX itch. I suspect a 911 would cure yours.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Partially yes, climate/weather play a role. The vehicles I listed started from when I was in a temperate climate country so no real need for AWD, but I think wherever I am, my DD will always be a AWD SUV and it runs in the family too, 5 SUV's in total presently. More so, when I came to the Great North of snow and ice, really essential here.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts