Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found in my mailbox, not 1 but 2 speeding tickets from our Nation's Capital. Caught by the same camera within 4 days of each other, only after 2 months of ownership. That may be a personal record :(

· Registered
273 Posts
Daaaang! Sorry, dude. Where was the camera located?

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Found in my mailbox, not 1 but 2 speeding tickets from our Nation's Capital. Caught by the same camera within 4 days of each other, only after 2 months of ownership. That may be a personal record :(
You should have bought a base, and in a slower color. >:D

Wait a minute, I just read the rest of your tagline and you have three Michelins and a Pirelli on your car? Surely Porsche will change that out.

· Registered
7,566 Posts

Wait a minute, I just read the rest of your tagline and you have three Michelins and a Pirelli on your car? Surely Porsche will change that out.

That's why he/she got the tickets ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Ouch! The car is deceptively fast! I'm really surprised that I haven't gotten snagged yet. I don't try to speed, but I invariably look down & realize that I'm going a lot faster than I think I am. >:D

On another note, I was on my way back from Tampa this weekend & saw a funky acid green Macan in the rear view. I had the truck & It never caught up to me, so I'm not sure what iteration it was, but I really wanted to get a closer look at it. It was just poking along, though. I don't know whether it was a PTS, a wrap, or what. Not a color I'd want on a Macan. It would have been cool in a 911, though.

· Registered
292 Posts
Maryland is thankfully more limited in it's use of speed cameras. They're not moving violations, so you're just out of pocket paying a fee. They're all pretty well known and the Waze app helps keep up with the temporary ones they put up for construction zones.

DC, on the other hand, is out of control with the cameras. They're so prevalent that I deliberately avoid making any trips into the District. Yeah, I get the idea, they want to calm excessive speeding. But there's an awful lot of them put in places where the road conditions don't equate with the limit set for the zone. As in, deliberately set for no reason other than entrapping the motorists for speed violations. Local DC legislature and bureaucracy (which is distinct from Federal) is such a morass that I don't see it changing any time soon. Until the DC residents get off their ass and pressure the DC legislative representatives this isn't going to change.

· Registered
588 Posts

Time to set up (or lower) the speed warnings on your car!

I currently have mine set pretty high, but I will dial them down after I get my first ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Daaaang! Sorry, dude. Where was the camera located?
Southbound 295 before the 11st bridge. I use it often to go to / from a client site in Laurel. Saw the camera today and wanted to smash it with a bat like a mailbox. At least I know where it is now.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much $$$ are the tickets?
One was $150 for 67 in a 50, the other was $100 for 61 in a 50. One mile less on that second one and I think it wouldn't have gone off.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yeah I was thinking about asking them to switch out the Pirelli but it hasn't really affected the ride.

· Registered
100 Posts
Note to self: never speed in DC. Ouch!

Maybe this forum should set up a GoFundMe page for our collective speeding tickets :).

(even in my Base, I do have to check my speed every once in a while, but speed enforcement here in Vancouver seems a little more lax and speed cameras were banned a few years back, yay!)

· Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeah I was thinking about asking them to switch out the Pirelli but it hasn't really affected the ride.
My OCD wouldn't let that slide.

· Registered
946 Posts
Maryland is thankfully more limited in it's use of speed cameras. They're not moving violations, so you're just out of pocket paying a fee. They're all pretty well known and the Waze app helps keep up with the temporary ones they put up for construction zones.

DC, on the other hand, is out of control with the cameras. They're so prevalent that I deliberately avoid making any trips into the District. Yeah, I get the idea, they want to calm excessive speeding. But there's an awful lot of them put in places where the road conditions don't equate with the limit set for the zone. As in, deliberately set for no reason other than entrapping the motorists for speed violations. Local DC legislature and bureaucracy (which is distinct from Federal) is such a morass that I don't see it changing any time soon. Until the DC residents get off their ass and pressure the DC legislative representatives this isn't going to change.
Most of the cameras were removed from Maryland after PG County outside DC git caught cheating by a very diligent contractor who had telematics prove the speeds his company's vehicles were traveling when they were ticketed. Long story short - they (you can choose how much to blame contractor vs govt) were giving tickets to people that weren't even speeding! Major beat down from judge, result most of cameras were taken out.

This is just speed cameras - many, many red light cameras remain as they don't carry the same calibration/malfeasance risks.

My favorite DC one is where they drop the speed limit on 295, then put a camera right there to acrew all the tourists who aren't paying attention. That one got me once even though I know exactly where it is. $50 donation to my fellow citizens.

· Registered
946 Posts
Note to self: never speed in DC. Ouch!

Maybe this forum should set up a GoFundMe page for our collective speeding tickets :).

(even in my Base, I do have to check my speed every once in a while, but speed enforcement here in Vancouver seems a little more lax and speed cameras were banned a few years back, yay!)
Never speed in Virginia. DC just shakes you down for money and it doesn't even put points on your license. If you don't mind paying a little extra "tax" you can drive as fast as you want, which is generally about 10 mph due to traffic. Never, ever exceed 80 mph in Virginia. They will throw you in jail. Google Jayson Werth Porsche.

Reactions: RJMcInnis

· Registered
1,026 Posts
I thought camera speeding tickets cannot be counted as moving violations because they're easily challenged. All ours are very expensive parking tix.

· Administrator
11,996 Posts
Never speed in Virginia. DC just shakes you down for money and it doesn't even put points on your license. If you don't mind paying a little extra "tax" you can drive as fast as you want, which is generally about 10 mph due to traffic. Never, ever exceed 80 mph in Virginia. They will throw you in jail. Google Jayson Werth Porsche.
VA punishment is draconian for the crime. But I think its mostly for those doing over 90. But over 20+ or over 80 (+15 on the Interstates) is Reckless Driving.

MD speed cameras are alive and well. The law is 12 over and they exist in two places, school zones and construction sites. School zones are active week days only during specific hours and are published by counties. Construction zones are published here Automated Speed Enforcement in Work Zones - Enforcement Locations It shows you the number of tickets per month per location and there are millions of them, total.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.