Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 macan turbo with panoramic roof and aluminum roof rails. This weekend I noticed water puddling in the front seat area on my rubber floor mats after a heavvy rain. vehicle usually is in garage but just happened to leave it out this weekend. I followed the leak and discovered that my a pillars were wet on both the driver side and passenger side. I took a pillar trim off and noticed water up in the headliner area. so I verified that roof was properly closed and it was. I took a garden house and sprayed roof for about ten minutes and then noticed the water dripping in again from headliner. I searched forums and some people have said sometimes the roof drains on the sunfroof get blocked and this situation can occur. So I found the 2 roof drains at the front of the sunroof and blew compressed air and verified that they were not clogged. I read that there are 2 toward the back of the sunroof but not sure how I can access those. Does anyone know how to access these and where they are exactly located on the sunroof. A have an appointment with Porsche on Friday to fix this but my vehicle is 6 months out of warranty
and would love to try to fix this myself if possible and save the expense.
thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 2015 macan turbo with panoramic roof and aluminum roof rails. This weekend I noticed water puddling in the front seat area on my rubber floor mats after a heavvy rain. vehicle usually is in garage but just happened to leave it out this weekend. I followed the leak and discovered that my a pillars were wet on both the driver side and passenger side. I took a pillar trim off and noticed water up in the headliner area. so I verified that roof was properly closed and it was. I took a garden house and sprayed roof for about ten minutes and then noticed the water dripping in again from headliner. I searched forums and some people have said sometimes the roof drains on the sunfroof get blocked and this situation can occur. So I found the 2 roof drains at the front of the sunroof and blew compressed air and verified that they were not clogged. I read that there are 2 toward the back of the sunroof but not sure how I can access those. Does anyone know how to access these and where they are exactly located on the sunroof. A have an appointment with Porsche on Friday to fix this but my vehicle is 6 months out of warranty
and would love to try to fix this myself if possible and save the expense.
thanks
this thread may help.

·
Registered
317 Posts
How did you verify they are not clogged? You blew air and felt it at bottom? Open roof and just pour a cup into front drain and it should come right out bottom behind front wheel on that side. The rears, I have parked car on incline, opened roof and poured a cup of water into the roof channel. Water should come out behind the rear wheel on each side. Also their is the cowling under the hood and below the windshield. That all clips off and there are drains in there too. They need to be checked every so often. Do a search here and there is a vid. Fyi, too much air pressure and you can blow lines of, at least in other models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you verify they are not clogged? You blew air and felt it at bottom? Open roof and just pour a cup into front drain and it should come right out bottom behind front wheel on that side. The rears, I have parked car on incline, opened roof and poured a cup of water into the roof channel. Water should come out behind the rear wheel on each side. Also their is the cowling under the hood and below the windshield. That all clips off and there are drains in there too. They need to be checked every so often. Do a search here and there is a vid. Fyi, too much air pressure and you can blow lines of, at least in other models.
I did blow air and felt it at the bottom..i didn't use a lot of air pressure as (like you said) I was worried about drain lines blowing off. I also did pour water down the front roof channel and did see water coming out behind the front wheel. I am just not sure if it is draining fast enough. I read in another post that people have used the line that is used on a weed wacker to clear lines. this is why I was asking is there a way to access those rear drains up on the roof as the part of the sunroof that doesn't move( I am assuming) is over them..as grindahl has also said it could be the gaskets under the aluminum roof rails. I cant really tell, with the roof liner in the way, if water is coming from sunroof. I have also read that if your "pop up wind deflector" is soaked after a heavy rain, your roof drains may be clogged as water is backing up in the channel where the wind deflector sits.

·
Registered
317 Posts
check the cowling under the windshield next. If water comes out that fast behind the front wheels I m going to say front roof drains ok and check the next item I mentioned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check the cowling under the windshield next. If water comes out that fast behind the front wheels I m going to say front roof drains ok and check the next item I mentioned.
That will be my next move(checking cowling under the windshield)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I took macan to dealer this morning and they had vehicle all day. They claim to have checked all drains and ran vehicle through car wash and see no leaks. that's great but what about seals on sunroof or gaskets on roof rails. They are gonna keep vehicle over the weekend and early next week before the holiday. they have not removed roof liner and I cant see how they can diagnose a roof leak without doing this. I explained to service rep that I had used a garden hose on roof and not seen any wetness at a pillar until I drove the vehicle and then came to an abrupt stop and water came from the roof liner and down the a pillar. I just have a real bad feeling that I am gonna get vehicle back with rep telling me nothing is wrong. Hopefully, I am wrong but I have a very bad feeling as it seems they have put all there eggs in one basket and feel it can only be something to do with drains.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to follow up on my progress with dealer. I got macan back yesterday after about spending a week at the dealer. They cleaned out all drains but every time they applied water to the roof, it continued to leak. So they ended up adjusting the roof panels because they felt they were not sealing properly. This seems to have fixed the problem. the first thing i did when i got the macan home is soak roof with water for about fifteen minutes. There is no longer water coming in and the windscreen that pops up on the sunroof is no longer always soaked. The dealer was very straight forward with me and said there will be no charge(as my macan just went out of warranty in june) which i was very pleased about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow that is a great outcome for you from the dealer. I'm sure the info in this thread will be useful for us in the future. Glad everything worked out!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to follow up on my progress with dealer. I got macan back yesterday after about spending a week at the dealer. They cleaned out all drains but every time they applied water to the roof, it continued to leak. So they ended up adjusting the roof panels because they felt they were not sealing properly. This seems to have fixed the problem. the first thing i did when i got the macan home is soak roof with water for about fifteen minutes. There is no longer water coming in and the windscreen that pops up on the sunroof is no longer always soaked. The dealer was very straight forward with me and said there will be no charge(as my macan just went out of warranty in june) which i was very pleased about.
Hi there, did the leaking ever come back? I have had the same problem for around two years. After multiple attempts by Porsche to clear the tubes and run water over the car, they ended up changing the whole sunroof but 6m later, car was left out on a rainy day, and it leaked badly. Due to go back again in a few weeks. ~sighhhh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts