Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have ran water/methanol injection on a street driven and track driven car for a number of years. I don't think you want to go there. basically you end up running a dual fuel engine. it can get very complicated, if you plan on producing more power. if you want to do it just to insure the intake valve stays clean---go for it. You will loose 10-20 rwhp --(best guess on this engine).

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
I have ran on other vehicles. The Macan should be fairly easy if you can tap into the intake manifold. I've had some issues in the past when placing in-front of a MAF or TB sensor. You can certainly run a lot more boost and timing thus adding more power but it needs to be properly tuned.

I have found it to be a decent solution. For the reasons above, you're running two systems so need to make sure you don't have a failure (Snow has some good stuff to ensure it's running) and are always in supply of water/meth. With the availability of e85 in the US, e85 typically will yield similar results without having to add a system. The cost of a system is very reasonable but would need to spend some time with a tuner making sure everything is dialed in to take advantage of the higher ceiling. I'd love to see this done on a Macan!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Macan E85 Certified?

I have ran on other vehicles. The Macan should be fairly easy if you can tap into the intake manifold. I've had some issues in the past when placing in-front of a MAF or TB sensor. You can certainly run a lot more boost and timing thus adding more power but it needs to be properly tuned.

I have found it to be a decent solution. For the reasons above, you're running two systems so need to make sure you don't have a failure (Snow has some good stuff to ensure it's running) and are always in supply of water/meth. With the availability of e85 in the US, e85 typically will yield similar results without having to add a system. The cost of a system is very reasonable but would need to spend some time with a tuner making sure everything is dialed in to take advantage of the higher ceiling. I'd love to see this done on a Macan!
My experience is that not all cars are prepared for e85. Rubber gaskets and seals usually can't take the s85. Fuelgauges in the tank etc. could give wrong signals. The injectors needs at times to be upgraded. Are there any Porsches adapted from the factory for e85? If the Macan is sold in Brazil it should be i guess.

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
My experience is that not all cars are prepared for e85. Rubber gaskets and seals usually can't take the s85. Fuelgauges in the tank etc. could give wrong signals. The injectors needs at times to be upgraded. Are there any Porsches adapted from the factory for e85? If the Macan is sold in Brazil it should be i guess.
Yes, e85 can wear fuel gaskets and seals faster but I haven't seen that being a problem when mixing with regular gasoline or cycling through e85 and regular gasoline. In the US, just about all of our gasoline has 10% ethanol blend in it.

You are correct though on the injectors. e85 is less efficient (usually 10-15% less than regular gas) so you have to throw more fuel at the engine at a higher rate. Usually injectors and sometimes a fuel pump needs to be upgraded. There's some pretty good room with the stock injector duty cycle but I haven't tried running e85. The most ideal way to do an e85 set-up is by installing a flex fuel sensor so you can mix fuels and the sensor will measure the ethanol content and that variable will control the maps' boost and timing curves.

Down the road in a couple of years, I'm considering doing a crazy Macan build where I'd like to explore larger trim turbos and e85. If the PDK can handle the power, I have no doubt the v6 engines could get north of 600 crank HP. I actually think the 2.0T might be a very interesting candidate since it's much easier to work on and already a tuned platform from the Audi/VW world. I'll have to see if anyone is making rods for that yet. Too new and expensive for me to do crazy things like that for now, but down the road, I plan on it!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have used Aquamist water injection systems on some of my old Saab Turbos and it worked great. Tied into the waste gate controls system so that the first approach was water injection upon detecting know, followed by opening the wastegate. Easily equivalent to an increase in 5 octane points, but with the issues of having to maintain it fastidiously. The Aquamist systems allowed boost to be dialled down when a nozzle plugged or the water ran out. Bosch is now shopping the water injection system it designed for the M4 GTS to other manufacturers. SO who knows, we might yet see it on a Porsche.

In the winter you need a methanol mix of course, and it adds more parts. But if it meant being able to run a 93 map instead of a 91 map, it might be worth it.

Reactions: Trued

·
Supporting Vendor
674 Posts
I am planning on testing at some point this year. Ideally, you'd want to have the ability to switch maps with the injection on/off unless you constantly want to fill your tank up. This will be very helpful for the west coast fellows in the US with their poor octane. For the cost, I bet it could be worthwhile but not going to be for everyone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Problems I had in using W/M for performance gains
:
1- appropriate tune---it is not just the w/m injection, its the dispersing of said mixture in an equal fashion. in other words making sure cylinder # 1 is getting the same mixture as Cyl # 4 and so forth. That can get tricky---usually resulting in a very conservative tune and/or multiple w/m noozles.

2- There are a LOT of variables ---since the cars computer cant adjust the w/m mixture, altitude and IAT's have significant influence on the power output.

4- You need a very good fail safe system---blocked noozles happen, there is a lag time between activation of the w/m system and actual arrival of the mixture to the combustion chamber. You need excellent knock sensors and I am unsure how sensitive these are.

5- w/m supply---you have to think ahead. there are home brew formulas you can use but whatever your supply it needs to be consistent.

6- proper w/m tank placement---more important than you may think and NEVER run more percentage of w/m than 50/50----NEVER. Big safety issue.

Now if you want to run w/m to increase gas mileage, or to insure you have proper octane/decrease knock without squeezing more power out of the engine---then its ok, but just another thing you will have to maintain.

personally I would only run a w/m system ( and there are some good systems available) if I had an engine that would show a pretty good increase in power with reduced timing---NOT just with increased combustion volume.
If you want power tune for NO :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am planning on testing at some point this year. Ideally, you'd want to have the ability to switch maps with the injection on/off unless you constantly want to fill your tank up. This will be very helpful for the west coast fellows in the US with their poor octane. For the cost, I bet it could be worthwhile but not going to be for everyone.
did you end up trying any of these setup's? im interested in doing this possibly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not yet, I believe @Connell is close. We plan to play with some ethanol blend as well, just not high on the priority list for us.

I am very close to pulling the plug and doing it but The engine of the 95B is so unknown in the tuning world. I’m not sure if the engine can handle the modifications. Down pipe, w/m inject and aggressive tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Aquamist HSF4 sitting in my garage.. I will evaluate the possibility of installing this on the Macan.

·
Registered
47 Posts
By any chance, Does anyone knows the Macan S Injector Size? I’m calculating for a dual Aquamist Atomizing Jet size based on a 400cc injector but want to be sure. Unfortunately, the atomizing jets i have from my previous build are to big (0.9 and 1.0) and I will need 0.4mm or 0.5mm Atomizing Jets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts