Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Macan Community, putting my question out here as a last resort before hiring a lawyer in the hope that someone could provide some guidance.

I bought a CPO Macan from Porsche North Houston last year and it turns out the car has body damage. The damage came to light when I took the car in to Beverly Hills porsche as the lane change assist was not working when my car got delivered. Beverly Hills tried to reset the sensors to no success, and when they removed the bumper to replace the sensors they found that the reason the sensors were not recalibrating was because the rear pocket of the body was damaged. They also told me that the rear bumper of the car has been repainted and that meant that the car was in an accident. I called porsche Houston and then called 1-800-PORSCHE and opened a case. My car has been at the shop for the last 2 months and PCNA, Porsche North Houston and the original body shop that did repairs have been playing a blame game. Every time I call the 1-800 number, they tell me the case is being worked on. I have asked them several times if I could talk to the managers that are dealing with the issue at PCNA and they say that the managers only communicate with the customer service agents.

Today is the 2 month anniversary of when I dropped the car off at Beverly Hills Porsche for sensor issue. I am hoping someone could provide some guidance as to what else I could do to get some sort of resolution to this. Has anyone else had a similar issue? How was it resolved? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been a porsche customer for over 15 years. Not sure this is how I should be treated.

Regards,
Aman

·
Registered
294 Posts
So sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately there have been other reports from forum members about dealers skimping on the CPO inspection process, and there have also been complaints from forum members about Porsche North Houston.

Assume you do realize that PCNA's CPO program allows cars with certain limited body damage to qualify for the program.

How long has it be since you opened the claim with PCNA? Unfortunately your situation is about as messy as it gets giving there is more than one dealer involved. I have to believe PCNA will step up and get your car fixed. Unfortunately they often seem to move slower than we would like. Can we assume you have been furnished with a loaner car in the interim?

Assuming you have a loaner, and you merely want the car repaired and not replaced, IMO you would likely be wasting your $ hiring a lawyer. No doubt PCNA is trying to get their arms around exactly what repair the car needs so it's permanently and correctly repaired.

Good luck and I hope would you will take the time to keep us updated as to what transpires as you sharing your experience will likely help other forum members in the future,

Sorry I can't help you with other PCNA contacts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The rear bumper being painted does not in and of itself point to an accident. Even if it had there is nothing stopping Porsche from certifying a car that has been in an accident. I suppose the disclosure piece is up for grabs, but caveat emptor would seem to be the rule here. If you carfax is clean I don't know why you'd worry. Get it fixed and move on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The rear bumper being painted does not in and of itself point to an accident. Even if it had there is nothing stopping Porsche from certifying a car that has been in an accident. I suppose the disclosure piece is up for grabs, but caveat emptor would seem to be the rule here. If you carfax is clean I don't know why you'd worry. Get it fixed and move on.
I have to say I really dislike the tone of your response.

Here is someone who paid a lot of money for a car, but has not been able to use it for two months.

Obviously there is more damage here than merely a bumper cover that needed to be repainted, and it appears we have yet another dealer who did not properly complete a CPO inspection.

The OP is new to the forum, and came to us looking for help. Obviously he has been trying to get his car fixed, and does not need to be told to “get it fixed and move on”.

I assume you don’t know anyone at PCNA who can help expedite the matter for him, do you?

I don’t think this is how we want to greet new forum members.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey there, sorry to hear about your experience with PNH, here I thought they were one of the more reputable / stand-up dealers.

From what I understood from your post, I think the main question is can they repair your car to get this feature working and/or who will foot the bill? Or do you simply just not want the car anymore due to accident history and want to look for a different one? Imo this is mostly a Porsche North Houston issue, if it was CPO they would have to disclose on paper regarding any damage as well as warranty, accident history etc so instead of wasting time with PCNA who dont really have any power when it comes to independent dealer franchise matters, I would be doing everything to speak to the right person at PNH and telling them they need to make this right whether that is taking the car back or compensating you for this issue and/or the repair. They sold you a car with warranty not AS IS and if there's an issue they are potentially legally liable so really should be stepping up and doing the right thing.

If you dont get anywhere with them I suggest posting on Rennlist as they have a presence on there and one of their sales person regularly lists cars from their inventory on there and not just average run of the mill cars but rare and limited cars like 911Rs, GT3s and GT2s, a lot of their customers purchase from out of state and they should be aware of this dealers behavior when it comes to issues like these. Maybe if this gets some attention on there they'll decide to step up and do the right thing.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Blunt, but (sadly) accurate.

OP, I'm not sure what sort of resolution you're looking for, but IMHO a reasonable goal would to get the selling dealer to resolve the issues with the sensors. Asking for a buy back due to a single panel being repainted is probably going to be an uphill battle.

Also, you say the car was purchased last year...when exactly did you buy it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can't imagine the frustration.

If you go to Porsche North Houston's website>About>Meet our staff, you can get the email address of the General Manager. I would craft a straight forward, non-emotional email to him and ask for his assistance in the matter.

Might be worth 5 minutes to do this and hopefully, it will get resolved quickly

Good luck!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey there, sorry to hear about your experience with PNH, here I thought they were one of the more reputable / stand-up dealers.

From what I understood from your post, I think the main question is can they repair your car to get this feature working and/or who will foot the bill? Or do you simply just not want the car anymore due to accident history and want to look for a different one? Imo this is mostly a Porsche North Houston issue, if it was CPO they would have to disclose on paper regarding any damage as well as warranty, accident history etc so instead of wasting time with PCNA who dont really have any power when it comes to independent dealer franchise matters, I would be doing everything to speak to the right person at PNH and telling them they need to make this right whether that is taking the car back or compensating you for this issue and/or the repair. They sold you a car with warranty not AS IS and if there's an issue they are potentially legally liable so really should be stepping up and doing the right thing.

If you dont get anywhere with them I suggest posting on Rennlist as they have a presence on there and one of their sales person regularly lists cars from their inventory on there and not just average run of the mill cars but rare and limited cars like 911Rs, GT3s and GT2s, a lot of their customers purchase from out of state and they should be aware of this dealers behavior when it comes to issues like these. Maybe if this gets some attention on there they'll decide to step up and do the right thing.
Strongly disagree the OP is wasting time with PCNA, that PCNA has no power here, and this is merely an independent dealer franchise matter.

PNH certified to PCNA that the car met the standards to be covered under the CPO warranty, but clearly their inspection was bogus. That’s fraud.

And the OP has a warranty on the car for which PCNA is the warrantor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to clarify. I have already talked to the GM at Porsche North Houston and the response always is "we are working with the Original Body shop and PCNA to find a solution". PNH says they bought the car off a lease from PCNA and so it is PCNA's issue. The customer service rep at PCNA does not give any straight answers and say the regional managers are handling it. For me the best case solution will be they take the car back. I say that because I'm afraid if they did not disclose the bumper being painted because of an accident, what else is wrong with the car that I don't know?!!! The second best option would be someone (other than me) pays for the repairs and I get my car back. BTW the repair estimate is $9K from Beverly Hills Porsche so that tells you about the extent of damage!!!

Finally, I DO NOT have a loaner as BH Porsche says this is not covered under CPO :(

Regards,
Aman

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to clarify. I have already talked to the GM at Porsche North Houston and the response always is "we are working with the Original Body shop and PCNA to find a solution". PNH says they bought the car off a lease from PCNA and so it is PCNA's issue. The customer service rep at PCNA does not give any straight answers and say the regional managers are handling it. For me the best case solution will be they take the car back. I say that because I'm afraid if they did not disclose the bumper being painted because of an accident, what else is wrong with the car that I don't know?!!! The second best option would be someone (other than me) pays for the repairs and I get my car back. BTW the repair estimate is $9K from Beverly Hills Porsche so that tells you about the extent of damage!!!

Finally, I DO NOT have a loaner as BH Porsche says this is not covered under CPO :(

Regards,
Aman
That certainly clarifies the situation. The mods should sticky this thread as a warning to those who frequently ask about Porsche‘s CPO program.

Sounds like you certainly do need an attorney. The first thing I would have him or her do is send a letter to PNH telling them if they don’t refund your money in the next 10 days, among other things they are going to have one heck of a PR issue on their hands.

I have heard repeated bad things about PNH, but this tops them all. They should’ve stepped up and resolved this weeks ago. How they resolve this with PCNA it’s not your problem. Wow.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I am blown away by the selling dealer’s inaction on this matter. I have heard of their reputation before, but didn’t realize it was this bad.

Almost bought a GT3 from them years ago, but something just did not smell right. As I recall they also own one of the dealers in St. Louis, and I got the same bad feeling there too.

IIRC the sales manager told me they had received Porsche’s premier dealer award. Makes you wonder what metrics they are using to hand out those rewards.

Can we start a “worst Porsche dealer in North America”? These dudes get my vote.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Can we start a “worst Porsche dealer in North America”? These dudes get my vote.
Assume you mean start a poll? They might just win.

When I was shopping for my car, I was interested in one of their CPO Macans. They told me the car was in flawless condition and had never been in an accident.

I was about 1500 miles away, but a long time friend of mine who is a car guy but not a Pcar guy lives right by them. I asked him to go take a look without mentioning to the dealer that he knew me. Despite a clean carfax he is experienced enough that he was able to take pictures pointing out indications both front fenders had been removed at some point, the passenger front door had been repainted and that one of the radiator supports was not original.

I've always thought I dodged a bullet, but after hearing Aman's story I'm even more confident I did.

·
Premium Member
5,832 Posts
Never trust anyone/dealer. Always do a professional PPI. It is about $100-150 but well worth it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OP - Thoroughly review the information presented in the following URL:

As noted above, and described in the link page, some repaired body damage is permissible for a CPO-approved Porsche vehicle.

I hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction.

Good luck!
The OP’s situation goes way beyond the fact some body damage is permissible.

With the substandard repairs the car was never CPO eligible to begin with. It needs $9000 of additional work! And let’s give PNH the benefit of the doubt and say they never correctly inspected the car as they represented rather than accuse them of knowing there was damage not correctly repaired.

If it was about two years ago, think we may have looked at the same Macan as Shark and quickly noticed something was amiss in the front of the car. Starting asking my Porsche friends about PNH, and while I have to say there were many positive recommendations, there were too many unhappy customers.

No excuse for PNH hanging the OP up for two months as they have. If they could not get the car properly repaired, they should have offered a full refund weeks ago.

PNH sure gets my vote. This is as horrible a CPO story as I’ve ever heard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here‘s a CPO report from my car - this is the official statement fro Porsche regarding CPO and accident damage. View attachment 229326

i would think the OP could claim “ sub-par repair “
I looked at my paperwork and there is no damage disclosed. I actually asked the sales guy before buying the car and he told me that there has never been any repairs done to the car. But when the whole issue came to light, they "Suddenly" found out the repair shop that painted the rear bumper...go figure!!!! That bumper repair was never disclosed to me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I looked at my paperwork and there is no damage disclosed. I actually asked the sales guy before buying the car and he told me that there has never been any repairs done to the car. But when the whole issue came to light, they "Suddenly" found out the repair shop that painted the rear bumper...go figure!!!! That bumper repair was never disclosed to me.
What does carfax show?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts