Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night after a long drive I started up the car and got a Steering Wheel malfunction and power steering going out. This morning I took the car into service and told them the issues and I just got a call back with the bad news.

They are stating that they "see" damage of something hitting the rack and pinion clamp that holds the bushing in place which covers it from the elements and the electronics must have shorted out and that caused the problem And since they see damage, that will not be covered under the warranty. They are of course giving me a quote of $4200 to replace the rack and pinion, alignment, etc.

They said they took pictures and can send it to me to show me and everything. I asked them isn't there any protection of that area, he said not really so anything could have hit it.

Said I have the option of using our insurance at this point on a comprehensive claim but worried the insurance will jump up with that claim or is that not really much on comprehensive.

Has anyone else had this type of problem or i'm just stuck with the situation.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just showed at dealership to see and they sent these pictures as I arrived. I don’t see how they can claim damage when this whole area is covered by the underbody panel.

Looks like the clamp broke and that’s just a fault of the clamp.

If they fight me on this what are my options?

Appreciate the help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
....I don’t see how they can claim damage when this whole area is covered by the underbody panel......

If they fight me on this what are my options?.....
You can try contacting Porsche NA and opening a complaint ticket with them. They may be willing to grant a good will repair, or offer to cover the cost of the parts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can try contacting Porsche NA and opening a complaint ticket with them. They may be willing to grant a good will repair, or offer to cover the cost of the parts.
Thank you for your reply. When I got there I asked to see the car. Then spoke to the shop foreman.

He started off by saying we found it weird because the clamp seemed mangled as if someone did something to it. I explained that since I bought it I only brought it there for service.

(After I left I thought more about it and if that clamp came off it would have gotten stuck in moving pieces which could have mangled it)

Then he proceeded to say that he inspected the car and saw nothing that shows I got the car anywhere etc and his conclusion was that the electrical system that is pictured might have gotten water on it which shorted it but can’t be for sure.

I mentioned that first off that’s bad design if it’s not water proof and just covered by the plastic underbody because if it rains then will this always happen. Didn’t have an answer.

I basically told him if there was any damage etc there would be signs of something breaking through damage to more parts etc.

At the end he told me he will put it in as a warranty claim but that Porsche will ask for the electrical part and do their own check on it. If they conclude it’s damage from water it’s my responsibility and have to pay or go through insurance because we have had rains here but I haven’t driven it before this happened all of a sudden.

He was nice and agreed he saw no physical damage and water short is his only conclusion.

Which brings me to the point that it’s pathetic of rain can splash up under there and mess up a car like this simply.

Of it comes back the other way then I guess calling Porsche NA will come into play. My first Porsche so hopefully things go well.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Seems like you have all the evidence you need. I assume you have already shared your thoughts on the matter with the dealer.

Carefully document everything you are being told, and pay for the repair so you are not without your car any longer.

Then send a certified letter with the photos to the dealer and PCNA demanding reimbursement for the repair that clearly should have been covered under warranty, informing them if you don't promptly receive full reimbursement you will retain legal counsel to collect what they owe you including all your expenses to collect.

Once they see you are not going to let them get away with this and are serious about suing, they would be very foolish not to pay you as if they let this go to court I doubt you will have any trouble convincing a judge what they are trying to pull on you, besides the bad publicity this could bring.

And don't accept an "assistance" offer. This should be covered 100%.

Shameful, absolutely shameful.

·
Registered
893 Posts
None of the possible scenarios offered by the dealer makes any sense. What's with the bracket hanging loose? It looks like a couple screws fell out or were removed. The clamp on the rubber cover doesn't just come loose. These are not easy to remove, not like a hose clamp. No signs of impact anywhere. How does rain shorting out (if so poor design) an electrical connection relate to the mangled hose clamp. I'm suspect their playing you for a fool for $4200.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I agree with mstraka. When I looked at the first pic, my first thought was why is a cross brace hanging. If this is how it was found, how did two (not one...) bolts come lose? Either that is a manufacturer defect from poor assembly, or, someone was in there for another reason and didn't reassemble everything correctly.

Something there is not right...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Sounds fishy to me as well! If your underbody panel was damaged, as if you drove over something, it would be another thing. RE driving through water, as long as you do not drive through greater than 12" (I think that is what the manual states) you s/b OK.

I suspect manufacturing defect. S/B 100% covered by warranty.
Be careful with all future dealings @ this dealership.
Especially as you get to the end of your warranty.

This may be the type of place or shop foreman who does not tell you about a (hidden) oil leak.
When Porsche techs do work, under warranty, they do get paid by Porsche but, LESS vs. if they did the same exact job & customer paid out of warranty.

So, there is an incentive for an unscrupulous person to take advantage of a customer.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Agree with the above comments. This sound like complete BS. You may want to inform the dealer, and write on the warranty work form/receipt, that you want the electrical part back after Porsche is finished with it. For whatever it's worth, that will let them know that you're preserving your right to have your own expert test it. That should help to keep them honest.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your information and guidance in this matter. Never dealt with something like this before.

I haven’t heard anything back yet from the dealership. But I could definitely tell that they seemed to backtrack a bit when I asked to see the car on a lift and more explained by the shop foreman.

Apparently this dealership has had stories like this before. It’s part of the sonic auto group here in Houston and a friend with a GT3 doesn’t go there for obvious reasons. Wish I knew before since it’s the closest location.

I think they are trying to cash in on the fact that it rained a lot last week and probably wanna say I drove in the rain or whatever and took me for a sucker.

I’ll have my good friend whose a lawyer take the next steps if it gets to that stage but I’m hoping they realized I’m not gonna roll over.

I’ll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take it to Porsche North and talk to Chris Brown which is our service advisor. We wont take either of our Porsches to Momentum or West. We had serious issues with West but originally bought our 911 Turbo from them but our Macan PP from North. Chris's number is 832-440-7451 tell him Jet sent you....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take it to Porsche North and talk to Chris Brown which is our service advisor. We wont take either of our Porsches to Momentum or West. We had serious issues with West but originally bought our 911 Turbo from them but our Macan PP from North. Chris's number is 832-440-7451 tell him Jet sent you....
Thanks for the heads up and contact. The North location is a bit far from me in sugarland but if I deal with this going forward it might be worth the long trip

UPDATE:

Reached out to the service Advisor to see what’s going on. Said they are working on the car right now and then it has to go to alignment. Then asked if I wanted to change my rear tires since they were pretty old. Which I knew I had to change.

He beat the internet pricing for the same tires so I said for him to go ahead and do it. Sucks cause they don’t make the atturo in my size.

Asked him everything went okay under warranty since they are fixing it. He said “As of now yes”. Don’t know what that’s supposed to mean. They are just gonna do the work and then at the last minute say it wasn’t under warranty without my written authorization to fix it? Lmao

This is becoming comedy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I am confident PCNA monitors this forum, would not be surprised if your dealer has already heard from them, and that you hear no more talk about this not being covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Wheter they fix it under warranty or not, try to get them to tell you specifically what were the CEL codes & what they fixed.

You need to know in case the same CEL comes up in future.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE -

So they ended up fixing the car under warranty and didn't mention anything ever again. Based on how things were handled it seems like everyone is right in terms of them trying to take me for a sucker who wouldn't question anything or ask to see the parts in question etc.

I think they wanted to take advantage of the heavy rains here in Houston and see how many people they could sucker into "damage" claims. Really bothers me since this was my first ever major experience with the dealership.

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt because they have always been so nice and accommodating there, but this really left a sour taste in my mouth for sure.

For those who had asked, here is the main part as well as the code they pulled.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with mstraka. When I looked at the first pic, my first thought was why is a cross brace hanging. If this is how it was found, how did two (not one...) bolts come lose? Either that is a manufacturer defect from poor assembly, or, someone was in there for another reason and didn't reassemble everything correctly.

Something there is not right...
Yeah that was confusing as **** to me as well. When I did go back into the shop to see the car on the lift, that part was actually back in place with the screws and everything. Really not sure what the point of that picture was.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Good job getting Porsche to do the right thing!
You may wish to try another Porsche dealer, even if a longer drive or an Indie for future maintenance.

FWIW, do not be surprised if the steering wheel squeak returns. Replacing the intermediate shaft fixes the problem but, I had it come back & so did others. They also tried using a new lubricant & that also is a temporary fix.

My 3rd fix, that I hope is permanent, is another replacement of the intermediate shaft but, I asked them to lubricate the H*ll out of of the new shaft, in every possible spot that can rub on anything... BEFORE they install it.
They did that & so far so good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts