Porsche Macan Forum banner
121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is a big problem. I would get your car checked at an indie shop. The transmission replacement cost would be lower. Usually have to replace a transmission with a secondhand transmission. That would be a charge under 5 figures. If you are lucky perhaps a part of the mechatronics unit is faulty , a replacement part can be found and the indie shop has software access to mate it all up. Still that will be a few thousand. There is no good side to this.
Many times Porsche has been known to offer some goodwill ...worth a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just got the dreaded transmission fault and engine control fault CEL. I have a 2015 macan turbo with 95k miles. Car was driving completely fine last week until yesterday when those codes came on and car went into limp mode immediately. Throughout the day I tried turning on the car but the faults still come and it’s still in limp mode. I hooked up Cobb AP and got the codes in the attached picture. Don’t recognize anything other than P0700 transmission control system malfunction. I did have PDK flush at 80k miles. Anyways just wondering if it could be as simple as a software update or do you guys think I’ll probably need valve body replaced, or perhaps some kind of sensor? Last thing: I can only drive in even gears 2 and 4th.

Also I cleared the codes hoping it would get rid of limp mode but it didn’t. Did I screw up? Will the dealership be able to diagnose if I cleared the codes? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
You do have a problem. The Cobb unit will not read transmission codes,
Before discussing worst case scenario let's start with basics. With that mileage you cannot expect any help from Porsche and taking it to the dealer will be very expensive. If you decide to take it to the dealer it seems that depending on the dealer and "what they find" will depend on what they recommend.
1- a lot of dealers will just want to replace the transmission at the cost of $20,000+.
2- Some will attempt to replace the mechatronic unit/ fluids with no guarantee that will fix it, at a cost of $5-6000. If that doesn't work then they will want to replace the transmission...with no rebate for the previous work.
I would suggest:
Find an independant shop that will work on it and have them diagnosis the problem.
You didn't say anything about clutch slip so I will assume there is none. Plus the clutch is pretty robust.
Let's say a good fluid change with internal and external filter change is tried and that did not work....sometimes it does, but if you changed the fluid etc at 80k miles then it should be good. If it does work ...great ! It is a low cost try.
You got a code of transmission control system malfunction. That can mean any sensor in the transmission. More than likely it is your mechatronic pack.
Now here is the problem. Porsche will not sell you or any garage parts needed to fix your transmission. So with that in mind you or your garage have 2 options :
1- canabilize a junk yard transmission for the ones you need. You are in luck concerning the mechatronic pack as all trim level and year model mech packs are interchangeable sans the transmission control unit.
2- source the needed parts from some outside vendor.....the parts sourced will not be Porsche parts and most of the time that is ok. Our transmission is basically a dl501 ob5 model VW/ Audi model transmission. I have heard some have ordered parts through Audi although the parts are not listed as fitting the Macan some do fit. Your garage needs experience and is willing to invest the time needed for this detective work.
You are going to find that a lot of garages do not want to work it and do not have access to factory level software needed to finalize the repair.
Good luck with this...it is not a good situation. I wish you were close to Atlanta I would be glad to work with you in getting it fixed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You do have a problem. The Cobb unit will not read transmission codes,
Before discussing worst case scenario let's start with basics. With that mileage you cannot expect any help from Porsche and taking it to the dealer will be very expensive. If you decide to take it to the dealer it seems that depending on the dealer and "what they find" will depend on what they recommend.
1- a lot of dealers will just want to replace the transmission at the cost of $20,000+.
2- Some will attempt to replace the mechatronic unit/ fluids with no guarantee that will fix it, at a cost of $5-6000. If that doesn't work then they will want to replace the transmission...with no rebate for the previous work.
I would suggest:
Find an independant shop that will work on it and have them diagnosis the problem.
You didn't say anything about clutch slip so I will assume there is none. Plus the clutch is pretty robust.
Let's say a good fluid change with internal and external filter change is tried and that did not work....sometimes it does, but if you changed the fluid etc at 80k miles then it should be good. If it does work ...great ! It is a low cost try.
You got a code of transmission control system malfunction. That can mean any sensor in the transmission. More than likely it is your mechatronic pack.
Now here is the problem. Porsche will not sell you or any garage parts needed to fix your transmission. So with that in mind you or your garage have 2 options :
1- canabilize a junk yard transmission for the ones you need. You are in luck concerning the mechatronic pack as all trim level and year model mech packs are interchangeable sans the transmission control unit.
2- source the needed parts from some outside vendor.....the parts sourced will not be Porsche parts and most of the time that is ok. Our transmission is basically a dl501 ob5 model VW/ Audi model transmission. I have heard some have ordered parts through Audi although the parts are not listed as fitting the Macan some do fit. Your garage needs experience and is willing to invest the time needed for this detective work.
You are going to find that a lot of garages do not want to work it and do not have access to factory level software needed to finalize the repair.
Good luck with this...it is not a good situation. I wish you were close to Atlanta I would be glad to work with you in getting it fixed.
thanks for your detailed reply! I used to live in ATL but now reside in delaware hah. I may try contact an independent shop that works on a lot of Porsche’s….but yes I’m worried they won’t be able to get the parts or want to work on it. Someone in this thread mentioned they haven’t really heard of anyone needing a new transmission as it seems like it’s always the mechatronic. Do you SUSPECT that if I got that changed that I’d be fine? I may consider just doing it and then quickly selling the car…
And yes no clutch slip. I’m sick of the car now, just got done having broken bolts fixed from the timing chain cover which was an expensive fix. I’m positive the next major problem will be transfer case, might as well sell it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is the sad part of the Macan story. Catastrophic repair expense on wear items that should last at least 150,000 miles but don't is going to cause a real problem for the used Macan market. No one is going to want to keep this car out of warrenty. Such a great car too....Porsche doesn't get the SUV market.
I just sold mine after I fixed it. No more lottery for me.
If I can help...ended up fixing mine myself, I will be glad to do whatever I can.

121 - 127 of 127 Posts