Porsche Macan Forum banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Jet Black Macan S
10 Posts
Just got an update from Carmax saying they're going to just replace the entire transmission with a rebuilt transmission that they're sourcing from who knows where. I guess the statement Porsche made about the mechatronics unit possibly not being a sure fire fix scared them enough to just want to replace the tranny which I guess isn't a bad thing, but still leaves a lot to be weary about. Waiting to hear back from them to see if there is any type of warranty on this repair as a part of me still doesn't feel entirely comfortable with them putting in a remanufactured transmission.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just got an update from Carmax saying they're going to just replace the entire transmission with a rebuilt transmission that they're sourcing from who knows where. I guess the statement Porsche made about the mechatronics unit possibly not being a sure fire fix scared them enough to just want to replace the tranny which I guess isn't a bad thing, but still leaves a lot to be weary about. Waiting to hear back from them to see if there is any type of warranty on this repair as a part of me still doesn't feel entirely comfortable with them putting in a remanufactured transmission.
You adamant it's the transmission and not mechatronics unit, did they not replace mechatronics first to confirm?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Jet Black Macan S
10 Posts
You adamant it's the transmission and not mechatronics unit, did they not replace mechatronics first to confirm?

I'm not adamant on it as they did not replace the mechatronics first to confirm anything. I think its more-so Carmax not entirely understanding the issue and wanting to just replace the whole thing rather than paying for one fix and possibly dealing with it not being fixed and having to pay more down the line since that was what was stated on the Porsche repair order (in the repair bill it said they would replace the mechatronics unit first, and then evaluate and also stated that this may not fix the issue).

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm not adamant on it as they did not replace the mechatronics first to confirm anything. I think its more-so Carmax not entirely understanding the issue and wanting to just replace the whole thing rather than paying for one fix and possibly dealing with it not being fixed and having to pay more down the line since that was what was stated on the Porsche repair order (in the repair bill it said they would replace the mechatronics unit first, and then evaluate and also stated that this may not fix the issue).
No worries. I assume the new gearbox would also come with a mechatronics unit!?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Man I would sure hope so! Has there ever been a case where a transmission was rebuilt without a mechatronics unit?
Really not sure, I imagine there is a refurbishment that comes with and without mechatronics unit. Similar to how you get complete engine, long block or short block.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Really not sure, I imagine there is a refurbishment that comes with and without mechatronics unit. Similar to how you get complete engine, long block or short block.

Being honest though, your issues definitely sound like mechatronics. And haven't really seen any failures of the PDK (DL501) which haven't been mechatronics or clutches (Highly tuned diesels).

·
Registered
166 Posts
The transmission on my ‘17 GTS with 42k miles is no longer working properly. It sometimes has no reverse gear, it sometimes shifts only to the odd gears, or on other days, only the even gears. Gears shifts at the wrong rpms and revs high, and downshifts to first feels like I’m popping the clutch on a manual. And of course, I’m just out of warranty.

After doing some research, it seems to affect a number of owners but perhaps not to the extent of the transfer case issue. To those who have experienced this problem, I have a couple of questions;

1- what are the chances that I can receive a goodwill repair from Porsche corporate?

2- which Porsche service center in the NY metro area do you think is best to handle this kind of repair and is most willing go to bat for me?

Any help/advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
The transmission on my ‘17 GTS with 42k miles is no longer working properly. It sometimes has no reverse gear, it sometimes shifts only to the odd gears, or on other days, only the even gears. Gears shifts at the wrong rpms and revs high, and downshifts to first feels like I’m popping the clutch on a manual. And of course, I’m just out of warranty.

After doing some research, it seems to affect a number of owners but perhaps not to the extent of the transfer case issue. To those who have experienced this problem, I have a couple of questions;

1- what are the chances that I can receive a goodwill repair from Porsche corporate?

2- which Porsche service center in the NY metro area do you think is best to handle this kind of repair and is most willing go to bat for me?

Any help/advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
How long out of warranty? You certainly don't have very many miles on your car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How long out of warranty? You certainly don't have very many miles on your car.
I bought it in back in July 2016 so it’s about 5.5 years ago. So a year and a half out in terms of time and 2k in terms of miles. A bit borderline for the goodwill repair but I’m hoping that someone who eas further out of warranty got the repair bill taken care of by PCNA. 🤞

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
You’re still within the 50k miles warranty limit so it’s quite possible to get some goodwill from Porsche.

Reactions: mizike

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I bought it in back in July 2016 so it’s about 5.5 years ago. So a year and a half out in terms of time and 2k in terms of miles. A bit borderline for the goodwill repair but I’m hoping that someone who eas further out of warranty got the repair bill taken care of by PCNA. 🤞
So as I was picking my car up from the fourth year required service this evening I had this very discussion with the SA. She reported that the TCC was not leaking oil. I asked now that the OEM warranty was going away how much time did I have before there would be no 'goodwill' on this known problem? She suggested that original owners have a boost and that beyond two years from OEM warranty was probably the end.
(I should add that I previously purchased an extended warranty. )

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
One reason I’ve recommended many times Geico MBI. That would cost you pennies a day for the coverage and $250 deductible for repair. Too late now but keep it in mind for the future. I’d think best bet is dealer you bought from. good luck

·
Read Only
320 Posts
Wish I had that extended warranty. My 2015 Turbo with 66K miles left me beside the road on a skiing trip with this same problem. No reverse, ok to drive....but it wouldn't drive. Stalling when the clutches finally engaged in 1st from a stand still, will shift to 2nd but so hard it squeals the tires, then shifts to fourth and then that's it. No reverse at all. Car when into limp mode a couple of times before a safe parking spot could be found. Funny thing is I got pissed at the situation ( wife and I were really looking forward to this trip) and right before I parked it, I got it rolling , no traffic, so I just floored it and then it shifted ok To 2nd third and fourth and then to fifth as I was backing off the gas? What the ****? Then after I had to stop and try to get going again...clothes did not engage as they should and the big jerk came again plus all the other previously described problems. Car is still beside the road...second day, because snow/ ice will not allow tow truck to get it out of the place I had to put it for safety sake.
I know it is the Medtronic valves in the trans that is doing this but this is my last straw with this car. Maybe if enough people complain about this issue Porsche may step up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
@jzwu and @wwahl : thanks for the reassurances! I also forgot that the Macans warranty goes till 50k miles as opposed to 40k miles (like my other cars). Considering I only have 42k miles, I’m hoping Porsche will cover the repairs. But thanks to @MDJAK jarring my memory, I realize I had Geico’s MBI! Prior to the Macan, I’ve only leased so I never had to sign up for the MBI. Completely forgot I had it 😂.
Love this forum!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Porsche was good to me when this happened at 66k miles on my 2015 a couple years ago and out of warranty. I was the original owner and had all dealer maintenance. Hope you have a similar experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vehicle Speedometer Car Motor vehicle Trip computer

Hello Team,
My 2016 Macan problem! what could this be? I am experiencing a small lag during the gear shift. Then My check engine popped up.
Has anyone here experienced the same situation and what was your solution? Is this part of the Transmission Transfer Case?
I need your help!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is a transmission issue, nothing to do with the Transfer Case issues. You need to get the trouble codes (DTCs) read out from the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) to understand where to begin a diagnosis.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts