Porsche Macan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had the same warning, transmission fault, may not have reverse. Also the clunk a couple times driving from a stop. It is not normal. Mine required some transmission work. My dealer and Porsche treated me great and I'm very happy with them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I got my Macan back tonight. I dropped it off two weeks and one day ago, their first appointment slot and the process was a little protracted. The fault codes were of course gone by the time I dropped it off, but they were able to read p179c00 a main pressure valve electrical fault. This required consultation with Porsche technical to decide if I just needed the valve control unit, or a whole gearbox. The answer ended coming up as the valve control unit.
Oh, and I needed a new transfer case. The slight clunk was the transfer case.
Luckily, we’ll not really as I bought the car at Carmax in order to get the warranty, I had the Maxcare warranty. This is where the protracted part came in as they had to send an adjuster out twice before they would approve about $7000 in repairs. They did, and this whole thing cost me $150, plus the $2500 I spent on the warranty. Though I’ve still got 24,000 miles to get more value out of that...

at any rate, the car is very smooth now, if I had only known that the previous condition wasn’t right..

and Porsche of Annapolis and my SA treated me very well and were patient and helpful in dealing with the 3rd party warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Macan S
72 Posts
That did happen to me last year! I have managed to arrive at my destination (work) safely, came back after 8 hours and the error was gone. I took it to the dealer the next day and they did diagnostics for a week and found nothing. I didn’t get that error again after that, it might be a glitch in the software!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a 2017 Macan GTS with 36,000 miles, regularly serviced at local Porsche dealer and have had no issues with anything until last week. While driving to work last Wednesday, two warning messages appeared. First said "Transm. Fault, Poss no R gear, Drive on possible". Second message said "Engine control fault, Consult dealer, Driving permitted". Macan started shifting erratically and would only shift in 2nd, 4th and 6th gears. I drove to work at 50 mph and called dealer and they told me to drop it off on way home.

I dropped the Macan off after work and the dealer put me in a brand new 2019 Macan base loaner. The next day the dealer informed me that one of the solenoids on the transmission valve body (also called mechatronic unit) was stuck in the 5th gear position and it caused the erratic transmission behavior and the warning messages. The dealer was waiting for the mechanics diagnostic report and warranty approval. Porsche authorized a new PDK transmission valve body which has electrical and hydraulic components built into it. (photo attached, weighs 35 lbs. per my mechanic) My advisor told me the part alone is $900 plus 3-4 hours of labor.

The dealer called me Friday at noon and said that my Macan was ready! The dealer had these parts in stock, which may indicate this is more of a common issue. Repair also included new PDK fluid which normally gets replaced at 40,000 mile service.
Luckily I was under warranty and did not cost me anything. So far the Macan is riding fine. My mechanic said it will feel like a new transmission and the car will need to learn my driving habits all over again. Shifting is super smooth. Hope this is the end of this issue, scared the heck out of me.

BTW, I was very impressed with the Macan base loaner with 18" wheels. The new PCM screen is nice but noticed the font and touchscreen icons were small and wasn't so user-friendly. Not sure if these can be adjusted...

Transmission Valve Body Photo
PDK Valve Body Unit.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 4 year old Macan and love it, never had a problem until recently. I've always brought it to the dealer for service, and was never late nor missed a service date. About 6 months ago had the usual service and fluids were changed, including transmission fluid. Then several weeks ago an error message showed up stating "Transmission fault Poss. no R gear Drive on poss." I brought it to the dealer and found out that the wrong fluid had been added to the transmission by error, 6 months prior. The dealer took the car back to pull the engine,replace all gaskets, and change the fluid. How will this affect the life span of the current engine and transmission? It's no longer under warranty but I'm afraid this is the death dance of a car that was previously in perfect shape. What should I ask the dealer and or Porsche to do?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 4 year old Macan and love it, never had a problem until recently. I've always brought it to the dealer for service, and was never late nor missed a service date. About 6 months ago had the usual service and fluids were changed, including transmission fluid. Then several weeks ago an error message showed up stating "Transmission fault Poss. no R gear Drive on poss." I brought it to the dealer and found out that the wrong fluid had been added to the transmission by error, 6 months prior. The dealer took the car back to pull the engine,replace all gaskets, and change the fluid. How will this affect the life span of the current engine and transmission? It's no longer under warranty but I'm afraid this is the death dance of a car that was previously in perfect shape. What should I ask the dealer and or Porsche to do?
Definitely keep all your service records and especially have documentation regarding the transmission being filled with the wrong fluid.

Personally, I would ask the servicing dealer to provide an extended warranty for your vehicle. I would first ask them nicely and explain to them that you have serious concerns about the long term implications of their mistake.

If they are not receptive or not willing to extend any form of good will to you I’d write the GM and Service Manager a letter expressing the same.

Next step if they’re not willing to help is to contact PCNA.

Final step lawyer up.

IMO - they really do owe you piece of mind that you are covered incase something goes wrong in the future related to their error.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
What transmission fluid wad changed? Was it the PDK fluid? They are 2 different types of fluid.

How could the dealer make such a glaring mistake? Could it be something else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely keep all your service records and especially have documentation regarding the transmission being filled with the wrong fluid.

Personally, I would ask the servicing dealer to provide an extended warranty for your vehicle. I would first ask them nicely and explain to them that you have serious concerns about the long term implications of their mistake.

If they are not receptive or not willing to extend any form of good will to you I’d write the GM and Service Manager a letter expressing the same.

Next step if they’re not willing to help is to contact PCNA.

Final step lawyer up.

IMO - they really do owe you piece of mind that you are covered incase something goes wrong in the future related to their error.

So far the dealer has been upfront and has stood behind their mistake. The have repeatedly said that they will stand behind any problems. On the other hand, I want and need a reliable car, I don't want to wait till the engine or transmission fails and then breaks down on the side of the road. I also don't want to find out that the engine or transmission has problems with longevity and I have to sink money into repairs, and or it keeps going back into the shop. I need to become educated with potential future problems. Do I need a new engine and or transmission?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What transmission fluid wad changed? Was it the PDK fluid? They are 2 different types of fluid.

How could the dealer make such a glaring mistake? Could it be something else?
Correct it was human error at the dealer. I understand that there are two types of fluid and the wrong fluid was put into the wrong area. I have no idea how Porsche designed the refill ports, but evidently, someone got confused. I wonder if they are next to one another and look similar? My long term concern is what kind of wear and tear has already taken place? Is the engine or transmission trashed? This is not my area of expertise. I love the car, it's awesome, but I still expect it to last for a long long time. What am I looking at long term?

21 - 40 of 127 Posts