Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Macan S
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 26k mile 2017 Macan S back in late January and I (and the car) experienced something odd on Wednesday. In my case, I started the car (successfully), removed it from the garage, drove it to the end of the street (about 1/4 mile) and came back and parked it. Went inside for about 30 minutes and then upon wanting to go to work, the car started but then immediately turned off. Additionally, a pop-up on the right dial stated that there was a transmission failure.

Next, I have it towed to the local Porsche dealer and I'm told that the VTS control unit needs to be replaced. The availability of the part is somewhere between 7-20 days and it is coming from Germany. This is really, really odd that there's a potential correlation between a vehicle tracking system, transmission failure, and the inability of the car to operate. It seems the VTS control unit believes the car is stolen or something similar.

Also, there's this... MC-10199818-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov).

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Macan S
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE 5/13 pm: Service Advisor called and stated that there was a short in the unit that caused the start/no-run situation. He currently has a 911 there with the same symptom. Luckily, the version for my car is somewhat more available and should arrive and be repaired mid-next week. Due to the short, the VTS control unit believes the car is stolen or whatever and it cuts out the fuel pump.

To paraphrase... electronics, can't live with them, can't live without them. At least I won't be waiting 7-20 business days.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not the same, but sort of related: I used to have a 2002 Nissan Altima, and one day it refused to start; it would crank, but not run. I had it towed to the dealer, and they found that the sensor ring that surrounds the ignition that senses the chip embedded in the key had gone out so that the car thought a bogus key was being used to star the car. It was a pain in the butt to go through the hassle due to a failed part, but it showed that the ignition immobilizer worked...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently acquired a 26k mile 2017 Macan S back in late January and I (and the car) experienced something odd on Wednesday. In my case, I started the car (successfully), removed it from the garage, drove it to the end of the street (about 1/4 mile) and came back and parked it. Went inside for about 30 minutes and then upon wanting to go to work, the car started but then immediately turned off. Additionally, a pop-up on the right dial stated that there was a transmission failure.

Next, I have it towed to the local Porsche dealer and I'm told that the VTS control unit needs to be replaced. The availability of the part is somewhere between 7-20 days and it is coming from Germany. This is really, really odd that there's a potential correlation between a vehicle tracking system, transmission failure, and the inability of the car to operate. It seems the VTS control unit believes the car is stolen or something similar.

I have a 2018 Macan GTS that I purchased new in November 2017. My warrantee expired November 2021. It has 27k miles on it. The same thing happened to me, fortunately I was only in my driveway. I had it towed to the dealership, they have had it a week and the long and the short of it is I need a new VTS control unit. And they need another 4 days and $1800 to replace it. I bought this car because I hated my Lexus and thought for $92,000 I would have years of dependable transportation. My biggest fear is being stranded somewhere alone and now clearly that is something I have to worry about. I have said every day for 4 years that I love my car.....the convenience of an SUV and the drive of a sports car but now I'm having second thoughts.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Relative to this repair, I had purchased a third-party extended warranty and they covered it all less the deductible. So, I'm really glad about that decision to buy the warranty. (I can confirm the approximate $1800 amount mentioned above.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Macan GTS that I purchased new in November 2017. My warrantee expired November 2021. It has 27k miles on it. The same thing happened to me, fortunately I was only in my driveway. I had it towed to the dealership, they have had it a week and the long and the short of it is I need a new VTS control unit. And they need another 4 days and $1800 to replace it. I bought this car because I hated my Lexus and thought for $92,000 I would have years of dependable transportation. My biggest fear is being stranded somewhere alone and now clearly that is something I have to worry about. I have said every day for 4 years that I love my car.....the convenience of an SUV and the drive of a sports car but now I'm having second thoughts.

This is very much similar to what happened to my Macan 2017, 52k miles, (unfortunately, expired warranty.) All services are done, including a full $1600 in late February. Also, as in another post on this forum, “the car started but then immediately turned off. Additionally, a pop-up on the right dial stated that there was a transmission failure.” The car was towed (I paid) to the dealership. They didn’t provide me a loaner and today (3 weeks later) they let me know that “both front end and rear end control modules need to be replaced.” Cost: $2,645,52.

This is very much similar to what happened to my Macan 2017, 52k miles, (unfortunately, expired warranty.) All services are done, including a full $1600 in late February. Also, as in another post on this forum, “the car started but then immediately turned off. Additionally, a pop-up on the right dial stated that there was a transmission failure.” The car was towed (I paid) to the dealership. They didn’t provide me with a loaner and today (3 weeks later) they let me know that “both front end and rear end control modules need to be replaced.” Cost: $2,645,52.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Fay Ghana That's interesting that two modules were replaced. The VTS module that was done on our Macan was located under the dash near the firewall. I wonder what the specific name of the rear module was in your case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts