Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2022 Macan
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like a good idea for VW, capitalize off the brand and help fund the transition to EVs. Anybody is buying?

· Registered
4,152 Posts
They’ve talked about this before

· Administrator
11,990 Posts

· Administrator
11,990 Posts

· Administrator
11,990 Posts
There are different stories here. Diess was amenable to a transition to EVs. Now he's gone. Porsche wants to do an IPO and early indications are that PAG is MORE VALUABLE than VAG. Not sure how that makes sense but they know more than me

EV profit margins have dropped. Volvo lost 6% of its profit margin. Porsche expects this to not happen because .... Value Based pricing model. The people will pay for the price increase, specifically

"Our target is to selectively expand higher-margin segments and to leverage electric-vehicle pricing opportunities,”

Porsche CEO Oliver Blume

:unsure:

A new, high end EV SUV is coming, above the Cayenne, which would push the Macan down to a third tier entry. That would be like the days of:

928 > 911 > 944
or

New SUV > Cayenne > Macan. What does that do to Porsche Macan EV pricing?

"We plan to add a new luxury, all-electric SUV model to our attractive portfolio, which will roll off the production line in Leipzig."

Oliver Blume

"Being a luxury vehicle, it will be slotted above the current Cayenne and the 2024 Macan"

· Registered
2023 Macan GTS
15,297 Posts
I think Porsche is a more valuable company than Volkswagen despite its size. Porsche is the iconic vehicle. Volkswagen has it solid reputation built on cars like the beetle of long ago but in modern times they are mediocrity.

The implication of a new EV Macan added is what I suspected. Much like the Taycan runs alongside the Panamera I think it’s a wise move to offer both. Eventually the Panamera will be phased out. The fact that the Taycan is quite impressive and far Better looking has a solid buyer segment . It will always be loyalist to the Panamera as well. Why not offer both? Give people the choice. That has been my feeling all along with EV. It boils down to choice rather than forced legislation.

· Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
833 Posts
Porsche is now a Tech company since diving into EVs, IMO. The news of Porsche pushing back the newest EV models because of software shows they are behind on their tech but once it’s done it will be worth a whole lot. So I can see how it could be worth much more now then VW as I don’t see them using the VW brand to push EVs.

I market in the Software dev space for a living so I see all the big brands needing to update the way they develop software. You’d be surprised who’s behind the curve.

· Registered
1,782 Posts
I see and normally aspirated flat six Limited edition coming soon— just kidding.
Once Oliver puts a battery pak below the floor of a 911, you'll need a worm-cam to focus on the CG. 🤣 🤣

· Administrator
11,990 Posts
I’m curious what do you mean?
From another thread. VAG wasn't big on moving to EV. Obviously they had their scandal.

"2010 it looks like VAG was pushing back on the 95g limits.

2011 VAG the poorest in terms of meeting them.

2012 They turn around and make commitments and long term strategy.

2015 Greenpeace claims victory"

From what I read, Diess pushed them into EVs, liked Musk, etc. Thats not all that clear with the Porsche CEO. Read the comments under the VAG Tweet. Sounds like ID4 has been a disaster

· Registered
209 Posts
Good read on the shake-up: VW Board Ousts CEO Herbert Diess After Pivot to Electric Vehicles — The Wall Street Journal

Seems like the family, board lost confidence in Diess’s ability to transition their brands to EV’s. The software failures was the last straw as it is delaying the launch of multiple vehicles across several brands.

Will be interesting to see what Blume’s new strategy will be for EV’s across multiple brands. Apple’s Car Play announcement becomes a bit more interesting. Doubt Porsche will hand over the keys to Apple but they might partner up to improve UI and speed up development. Software has been the biggest drawback for Porsche. UI and useless app feel so dated in comparison to other brands. We shall see.

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Expected IPO value up to $80B. Any buyers?

· Registered
2018 Macan SE Agate Gray
259 Posts
I have been reading, primarily in the Wall Street Journal, discussions of the Porsche IPO. A common thread that runs through all of them is: Porsche will use the proceeds to transform itself into an electric car company.

Electrics are all the rage now, driven by a combination of environmental hysteria, political posturing and misguided subsidies. They have their place - short to medium distance commuting, general household use etc. for those having convenient access to off-time (i.e. overnight, at home) charging. Long distance travel or all day recreational driving? - that's another story. My Macan has a full tank range of 525 miles at (high) highway speeds. A comparable electric version would be more than 400 pounds heavier - the weight of the batteries needed to achieve this range. Battery "improvement" is not going to change this. "Moore's Law" does not apply. The energy density of a battery. energy/unit mass, is limited by the atomic structure of its elements - not subject to alteration, amendment or improvement. It's a chemical issue, not an engineering target.

To my mind, this is the antithesis of the core concept of the Porsche brand - unmatched handling and overall driver experience. With the exception of the "sound" of the car (and there is a lot of discussion of this on the forum as well as its inclusion as an adjustable parameter) it's not about the power source (my Macan has what is essentially a VW engine as did the first Porsches) it's a chassis question and a massive battery is an issue that won't go away.

I hope Porsche is not falling on its sword in this one.

· Registered
2021 Macan
269 Posts
Unfortunately, I fear this is the direction all manufacturers are heading in.

· Registered
264 Posts
I think you have it backwards. VW is launching huge investments in EVs and related technology, and plans to use the proceeds from the Porsche IPO to help fund that. I do not see Porsche going all-in on EVs anytime soon. The brand value of their ICE vehicles is just too huge. VW on the other hand is going to be super aggressive in its transition to a nearly all-EV fleet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts