Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright. I guess my next question would be whether the car was an early 2016 build (summer of 2015)?

From your description, it sounds a lot like the issue I had with the cracked exhaust bracket.....except your dealership seems to have ruled that out.....which makes me wonder if that should be revisited?

There were a lot of cases of broken exhaust brackets where instead of doing the full repair, the dealership simply cut off the bracket so it wouldn't be noisy. Also, some of the early repairs only involved replacing the mid-pipes; whereas later, Porsche determined that the downpipes required replacements as well (if I recall correctly). So I'm wondering whether its possible your car once had a partial repair done, but not a complete repair.

Our Turbo was a May 2015 build, which means it was one of the last group of Turbos built for the 2015 model year. Our exhaust issue didn't show up until sometime around 50k miles. It was replaced at 60k miles. Same symptoms as you reported. The repair invoice says the following:

Consulted TI bulletin 20/16 2601. Found front exhaust pipes to be outdated version causing rattle. Removed exhaust system. Convert exhaust system. Replaced front pipes with updated version. Removed exhaust tabs from rear section of exhaust. Test drove vehicle to confirm repair. OK.

There's more background at the thread link below, which I'm guessing you've already found. There was at least one member who reported that his rattle was due to a broken internal baffle on one of the mufflers, so maybe that's a another thing to check.

Wish I had something more definitive for you. Best of luck getting it sorted, and let us know if it's finally resolved.

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/cracked-mid-pipe-exhaust-plate-bracket.71953/
Wow! My macan was built in mid 2015 and I can’t say if the exhaust bracket was replaced/repaired or not. I do know that when I looked down there with the tech and he would give it a couple revs? It was very obvious that the down pipes were rattling. One tech pulled down on the down pipes while the other revés the engine and we noticed that the flex pipe had a lot of play within them but the vibration of the pipes were completely gone until the tech stopped pulling down on both pipes.

The tech mentioned that it seemed to be a vibration coming from the engine and that he’s afraid that if he changes the down pipes? That the problem would still be there.

from what I understand, you’re telling me that my down pipes could be an outdated version and could be the cause of the problem. I will call them today and ask to revisit the exhaust again.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
....I will call them today and ask to revisit the exhaust again.
Sounds like a likely cause. Ask them to check TI bulletin 20/16 2601 that was referenced on my invoice. My understanding is that this was a known issue and Porsche has a technical service bulletin for its repair. Even though our car was out of warranty, Porsche approved replacement work by the dealership at no cost. It would have been $1600 otherwise. We're original owners, so that may have helped. Best of luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like a likely cause. Ask them to check TI bulletin 20/16 2601 that was referenced on my invoice. My understanding is that this was a known issue and Porsche has a technical service bulletin for its repair. Even though our car was out of warranty, Porsche approved replacement work by the dealership at no cost. It would have been $1600 otherwise. We're original owners, so that may have helped. Best of luck getting it sorted.
It turns out that I was a little late on the find. The dealership called me this morning and stated that both the down pipes and mid pipes were replaced. All is fix now and I can pick up the car today.

I can’t thank you enough for your time and efforts to help me sort the problem out SoCalS5. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
Lucky me! My 2015 Macan S is as tight as when it was new after 4.5 years and close to 40k miles. No major issues such as TC or oil leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
a few days after I bought my Macan Turbo, I noticed the vibration between 900-1100rpms while in traffic. I can rev the car in park and replicate the vibration, but It’s more noticeable when the car is down shifting while slowing down.

I took it back to the dealership and they replaced both motor mounts and the transmission mount, but vibration is still there. The exhaust brackets are all fine. The vibration is coming from the engine and causing the the exhaust pipes to rattle which then are felt through the seats and sometimes heard through the cabin.

I have search everywhere for answers; I can only find similar issues by other members, but no solution. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction, so that I can possibly help the dealership locate the problem and even know for myself what’s going on with this Macan. I’ve owned my fair share of cars and have never came across an issue like this before which is puzzling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a similar issue when the RPM's drop to 1100 RPM and I try to accelerate and it seems to hesitate. Dealer says this is turbo lag and I say "BS".

21 - 34 of 34 Posts